Fall 2014 Central Iowa Get Together

Pretty sure I'm out. I'm trying to qualify for my clubs Langford Cup tournament and the tournament occurs this same week.

Wish you could join us! Best of luck on the Langford Cup though!

Sleuth, I understand. Honestly, it surprises me that you ever leave your club course. It's such a gorgeous course.

~Rock

Bump! Really hoping we can generate some interest here..... 16 guys?! That would be an awful lot of $ bills for Wedge to win.....

Speaking of FlyingWedge.... I need him to explain flying and turbulence to me bc man does it give me the creeps......and sweaty hands.

From The HTC One Blue!

...Speaking of FlyingWedge.... I need him to explain flying and turbulence to me bc man does it give me the creeps......and sweaty hands.

Don't fib. You're just trying to understand how the new G30 works. :clown:

Fall 2014 Central Iowa Get Together

Bump! Really hoping we can generate some interest here..... 16 guys?! That would be an awful lot of $ bills for Wedge to win.....

Speaking of FlyingWedge.... I need him to explain flying and turbulence to me bc man does it give me the creeps......and sweaty hands.

From The HTC One Blue!

Drive down the highway and stick your hand flat out the window. It's just wind resistance keeping you in the air (combined with lift). Everyonce and awhile you hit a pocket of air that can't support it and you drop down a bit. That's super simple but all it really is. Hopefully the pilots adjust the altitude and get back into "smoother" air

Don't fib. You're just trying to understand how the new G30 works. :clown:

Yeah I do want to know how the G30 manages to mess up my swing and not go my usual 400 yards :)

From The HTC One Blue!

From The HTC One Blue!

Turbulence might just be the pilots having fun. Haha! Actually turbulence is caused by a shift in wind direction or speed. Also crossing weather fronts. Imagine a snow globe that has been shaken. Fly along in smooth air then fly thru that snow globe (turbulence). Once out it smooths out again. There is also something called mountain wave. This occurs when winds blow across a mountain range. The up and down motion can increase with each increasing mountain it crosses. This motion then carries for hundreds of miles past the mountains. Spring and Summer with cumulus clouds will give you up and down drafts in and around them. Think developing thunderstorms. Temperature also creates turbulence. Warm air rises and cold air sinks. On a windy day at the surface, buildings and trees can create turbulence. When the wind flow is interrupted by buildings, trees, etc. it causes the wind to swirl (snow globe).

Now back to the golf!! Sure hoping we get some more interest in this.

There should just be a 'flying physics' thread for Flying Wedge to respond to all questions. For instance, why does it appear that the wings 'shake' a bit when flying. Is it just an illusion, or does the wing really shake/bend/etc?

But as for this outing, I'm pressing on a good friend of mine from Cedar Rapids to 1) join the forum, and 2) come to this outing. So hopefully that will be at least one more.

Have we decided between the haunted house and motel? Or Lames?

~Rock

Yes the wings & alot of other parts move & also expand and shrink due to temperature change.
Back still mediocre but still planning to come.

Yes the wings & alot of other parts move & also expand and shrink due to temperature change.
Back still mediocre but still planning to come.

That's what I like to hear! Maybe the Bulldog needs to try some yoga to improve the back?

~Rock

This is now on my radar. Going to have to see what the wife has to say, but any excuse to tee it up with THPers is worth begging for.

There should just be a 'flying physics' thread for Flying Wedge to respond to all questions. For instance, why does it appear that the wings 'shake' a bit when flying. Is it just an illusion, or does the wing really shake/bend/etc?

But as for this outing, I'm pressing on a good friend of mine from Cedar Rapids to 1) join the forum, and 2) come to this outing. So hopefully that will be at least one more.

Have we decided between the haunted house and motel? Or Lames?

Wing flex happens so as to allow the wing to carry the weight of the aircraft thru all atmospheric conditions (turbulence). A heavy aircraft with a rigid wing in turbulence would provide for a back breaking ride. Allowing the wing to flex provides for a smoother ride. The wing also contains almost all of the fuel on the aircraft. The video below will show what the wing is capable of. In fact on the new generation Boeing 787, the composite material used on the wings will just about allow the wing tips to touch before they break.

I think if we keep bumping this and spreading the word, we can get a decent turnout. As for as lodging, I will that up to the group attending, I will be staying at home. So if someone wants to take charge of coordinating lodging. That would be great. I am playing Coldwater Creek this Saturday and will speak with them about tee times.

This is now on my radar. Going to have to see what the wife has to say, but any excuse to tee it up with THPers is worth begging for.
I hope you can make it buddy, an MC champion in the house!!!

Awesome! Be great to have you join us. I'm sure you wife will see the importance of a great golf weekend with a bunch if THP Friends!

That video scares me. As does flying anywhere over asia.

I'll help with coordinating the lodging. But like before, there's not much point in picking a place without a decent head count, so it'll probably be labor day before I/We pick one.

~Rock

Awesome! Be great to have you join us. I'm sure you wife will see the importance of a great golf weekend with a bunch if THP Friends!
I'm sure she will, but having just returned from one... It might be a tough ask.

It should comfort you. Showing the stress that the modern day airframe can withstand.

I'm sure she will, but having just returned from one... It might be a tough ask.

I suggest bribes. Always seems to work for me!

She's considering it!! Did we find lodging at all or figure cost for Sunday's round yet?

She's considering it!! Did we find lodging at all or figure cost for Sunday's round yet?

Sunday's round last year was like $49.

From The HTC One Blue!

Yea, bribes definitely work! Usually, it takes two things for the Fall outings for me. A money matching donation to my wife, and usually some sort of statement that it might be my 'last hurrah' in golf for the season. Probably won't be this year since I have my own golf cart now, but yea, bribes. Or tell her that you have to play for a chance to win some Noodle Long and Soft Balls!

~Rock

Yea, bribes definitely work! Usually, it takes two things for the Fall outings for me. A money matching donation to my wife, and usually some sort of statement that it might be my 'last hurrah' in golf for the season. Probably won't be this year since I have my own golf cart now, but yea, bribes. Or tell her that you have to play for a chance to win some Noodle Long and Soft Balls!

~Rock

No, and I took over lodging, I guess. All I can tell you is that I will be trying very hard to keep it cheap, without being a total dive.

Since it is an away game for Iowa State, it gives us even more lodging options if we want to stay in Lames.

~Rock

Central Iowa Fall 2014 get together:

When: Saturday Oct 4th and Sunday Oct 5th.

Where: Honey Creek Golf Club. Boone Iowa. http://www.golfhoneycreek.com

Coldwater Creek Golf Club. Ames Iowa. http://www.coldwatergolf.com

Cost: Honey Creek. 36 holes for $37
Coldwater Creek 18 holes $ TBA

Accommodations: TBD

Come join us for what is becoming a regular end of the golfing season unofficial event! 54 holes of prime Iowa golf surrounded by great THP Friends and fun. This event last year had a great turn out. We are returning to Coldwater Creek for the 2nd year. This links style course was enjoyed by all!

New this year is Honey Creek. This hidden gem of Central Iowa golf is always in top notch shape. Honey Creek is 2 totally different nines. The front nine is relatively flat and tree lined but open. The back nine is tighter and more hilly. You drop down into a valley over holes 10 and 11. Then work your way back up. Pictures can be found started the bottom of the linked page. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...Southern-Iowa-Get-Together-Summer-2014/page79

So clear your calendars, bribe your significant others and tell your bosses you gotta go! You won't want to miss this year end blow out as only THPr's can do it.
Bump, cost for 36 holes on Saturday at Honey Creek is $37.

Bump, cost for 36 holes on Saturday at Honey Creek is $37.

That is correct! Awesome right. You will find even more amazing after you play the course!!

Great!! The posted Sunday rate right now is 46 riding. Not sure if October will be off season or if I can get a lower rate. Will talk them this Saturday when I play there. Total for 36 holes on Saturday is $37.

Back