3W on the launch monitor?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I am in search of a new 3w and I know what to look for from a driver, but what are good launch angles and spin rates for a 3w?

I am in search of a new 3w and I know what to look for from a driver, but what are good launch angles and spin rates for a 3w?

Do you know your numbers with a driver in terms of ball speed, launch angle and spin rate? That will give you a good baseline because everyone is different in terms of what numbers are good for them.

What I will say is that if you hit your driver well and you test a 3 wood off of the deck, you will likely see a slightly lower launch angle and higher spin rate with the 3 wood as compared to the driver. During my recent fitting, I think that I was in the 12-14 degree range with spin in the 2000s for driver, and then in the 10-11 degree range with spin in the 3000-4000 range. The lower launch angle, despite the loft on the 3 wood compared to the driver, comes partly because I hit up on the driver and slightly down on the 3 wood.

For me, I look more at getting the ball in the air fairly quickly and not too steep a decent angle. I don't often use the fairway wood off the deck. I just don't like my clubs to look like they are falling out of the air. Makes them a little tougher for me to control in the wind when they do that.

Every one is a little diffrent i would hit a bunch on the LM and see what nubers look the best for you

• Admin
I have actually found that a 4w went further than the 3w for me a few years ago. I am just in the market for a new 3w, and while I hit mine good ...when I hit it straight....I am just too inconsistent with it and I am guessing its probably the shaft. I was just curious. Its pretty bad when I am more confident with my driver than my 3w. I fear even pulling it out of the bag.

I have actually found that a 4w went further than the 3w for me a few years ago. I am just in the market for a new 3w, and while I hit mine good ...when I hit it straight....I am just too inconsistent with it and I am guessing its probably the shaft. I was just curious. Its pretty bad when I am more confident with my driver than my 3w. I fear even pulling it out of the bag.

I know the add loft on a 4w accually works better for most mortals

I hit my SLDR 3w and SLDR 3HL almost the same from the deck

If you are playing off a 10, then I wouldn't be that worried. Just pick something in the right flex and loft that is appealing to the eye, trust your swing and everything else should be golden.

• Admin
Yeah I really think I need to try something diffferent. When I hit it straight I hit it about 260, but 8/10 times its a big hook unless I remember to open the face. Its probably me but really the only club I have these problems with.

You seem to like Nike. Check out some of their offerings. They set up open.

Some of the Tour Edge stuff does as well -- the CB line in particular.

You seem to like Nike. Check out some of their offerings. They set up open.

Some of the Tour Edge stuff does as well -- the CB line in particular.

TEE items are fantastic. The CB has a bit deeper face and launches a touch lower. I loved the 15* CB5 I played for a bit early this year. My only issue was, at the time, it was longer than my driver. I should have just gotten rid of the driver, but got rid of both instead. The covert fairways really intrigue me, but I would have to paint the head. Something about that red just causes me mental issues at address.

Back