Is Adjustability in New Clubs Cheating????

No way, if anything its frustrating - being one to tinker with things I have played about with many different settings on my adjustable drivers and more often than not as opposed to "solving" what's wrong with my game it just leads to more questions (opens a can of worms so to say) as one day everything can be spot on and then the next its all over the show which leads to another slight change and the whole process starts again.

That in itself isn't a bad thing - it does allow the golfer to try slight adjustments that in the past would have possibly led them to trying/purchasing new clubs - the joys of technology huh

I adjusted my last two drivers one time each, when I first got them. I don't understand how it could be considered cheating, unless you adjust in the middle of a round.

Pros have every club adjusted to their exact specifications. Just because there are clubs which are easier to adjust than they used to be doesn't make it cheating!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

you should have told him that he changed his stance and his swing path so that's cheating as well.....

Not cheating so long as the club is set prior to the round. The rules say it isn't cheating so it's good with me.

Some companies make a draw/fade biased version of the same driver. Would playing one of them count as cheating? Adding adjustability allows them to make one model and dial it in to someone's specs without having to resort to stuff like hot melt.

All clubs are adjustable. Modern clubs are just easier to adjust without a tour van.

Every swing is different. It's an easy fitting tool.

Someone calling it cheating is ridiculous

This.

Its a fantastic technology, the same club can be matched to many different swings. I can't imagine me ever buying anything non-adjustable new.

The only way this technology is cheating is if you make any changes during a round.

I agree with this. If a guy adjusts and leaves it fine, but adjusting on each hole during a round is a bit sketchy.

Some guys it really doesn't matter how many times they adjust . They need to adjust their actual swings first and not rely on the club to fix their swings .

The way I see it is a great way to buy an off the rack club and adjust it to fit your swing instead of having to custom order something. It keeps the SKUs down which in turn keeps the prices down (well relative). Could you imagine how much a Taylor Made driver would cost if Taylor Made produced a different driver for every configuration one can get from an adjustable driver!
+1 to this. I think adjustability has helped all around. It allows manufacturers to make fewer clubs that can fit the masses which keeps the prices down which is good for the general public. I think it also helps as people improve their swing/game they can adjust what they have instead of needing to purchase every 3 months or so.

No it's not cheating. Tell him to play in the now

Some guys it really doesn't matter how many times they adjust . They need to adjust their actual swings first and not rely on the club to fix their swings .

My exact thoughts. If the swing is wrong doesn't matter how many times a person adjusts the club. Results will be the same.

The adjustable settings range from draw to fade, not hook to slice. They might be able to dial in a particular shot shape, but it doesn't matter where that little sliding weight or cogs are of you come over the top.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

I think it's silly to think an adjustable club is cheating. It is not a fix for a bad swing. I think someone that does think it is cheating is probably misunderstanding, or mis-educated, on what exactly the adjustments can do.

Way back in the day they had an adjustable iron . One iron for all shots .. Wonder what happened to that weapon ?

Using adjustable clubs is not cheating - you play your round with one set adjustment. Is using different types of balls cheating? Technology has come a long way and is making the game more enjoyable for more people.

i couldn't agree more. I see some people at the range fiddling with their drivers day after day, blaming that it's not dialed into them. I'm not knocking adjustable drivers, never owned one, but i see a lot of people concentrating on angle adjustments on drivers instead of swing dynamics. With that being said, i have been adding and removing lead tape from my putter for years, and if i had an adjustable weighted putter, id probably be fiddling around just as much. i live and die with my cleveland classic driver

I like my Cleveland Classic as well. It's a great club! No adjusting to worry about but I do agree that it's easy for people to make excuses about a bad drive because the settings were off. That's always false. If the player was dialed in correctly the ball would have went where it was intended to go. I do like my Covert but I'd never make that an excuse. If I slice or hook the ball that's on me not the club.

Back