Rock's Quest for a Three-peat of the City Championship

Honestly, I'm completely uninspired. played league tonight. It was a flag tourney, and the "old guys" decided to change the rules 3 holes i to my round. Made me mad, but i played just fine

Also, ive won the city tourney twice already. I did something few have done, and ive won two times more than i thought i ever would. but, truthfully, it was more special to me when i played well with texashacker and prince hartmann a month ago in southern iowa than the thought of a 3peat right now. The power of playing with thpers i suppose.

I want to win, dont get me wrong, but id rather be playing with thpers at the iowa fall outing. Im tired of putting pressure on myself, in golf and my career. I want to get back to just enjoying golf and the people i play with.

And so i go back to a paraphrased quote from a rotella book. Play like a winner, even if you dont win.

For those wondering, i shot about a stroke better than my handicap. Just never was able to turn on that jet engine scoring machine ive had in past years.

~Rock
QFT, always play like a winner!

So despite my major lack of motivation (at least that's how it has felt the last week or so), I want to rehash a couple of positive notes, some great shots. While still mad about the whole 'rules' change midway through my last round (not a story worth sharing), I stepped up to the 2nd tee. It's 292 yards, although it was probably playing close to 280 yesterday. I somehow found a draw that I could repeat, but just hadn't quite taken that to the Driver yet. Anyways, I was mad, just wanted to crank it, and I got ahold of it. Started the shot right, drew it back to the left, ended up 10 feet short of the green. So yes, I hit a driver about 277 yards. No, I'm not internet golfing here. Our course has dried completely out, and I probably got 40 yards of roll. I never hit it that way again. I did hit two other great drives, but hung them right, never came back, and out of bounds. Towards the end of the night, my irons were losing their accuracy, but I'm not going to let it discourage me. Still hitting a nice draw with them.

Putting. Putting wasn't great. Greens are super shaggy, because our greens keeper likes them to be "green." Oh well, he'll mow them short for the weekend, and me and everyone else will be stuck trying to adjust to the dramatically faster greens. But on the driveable par 4 fourth hole, I hung my 3 wood out and clipped a pine tree. I was probably 20 yards shy of the green. I surveyed what I had. I had a tree in front of me. I had to keep the ball low (like 2 feet off the ground low), but hit it far enough to clear a patch of rough and just try to roll onto the green. I also couldn't aim at the pin. So I executed the shot as well as I could have. ended up on the backside of green. Then I sank about a 25 footer that had 18" of break in it for birdie. That made me feel great about my putting practice I had done earlier in the week.

Finally, I was in a trouble spot. 40 yards short of the green, in a ditch full of fluffy grass. Awkward stance, left leg was straight, right leg was bent. I always enjoy the odd shots. It's just a chance to see if I can do it. And I did, hit it to 8 feet below the hole (and then missed my par putt).

There were plenty of positives from yesterday's round. I just never could quite flip the switch to go ultra low. I had a couple of 3 putts, a couple of poor shots just due to lack of concentration and bad course management decisions. I'm where I want to be at this point, I just need to find that moment, that motivation, that anything, that gets me to flip that switch to turn invincible.

I wasn't going to practice tonight, but wife and kid are gone, so I figure I might as well. All short game, putting, chipping and pitching.

~Rock

Whats one more late night of practice? Whole course to myself tonight.

a6e3ese7.jpg

~Rock

Keep the practice part short, then a little humor. Played 2 balls for 9 holes, each independently. Had a lot of great shots, and only a few poor ones. Putting is still weak. I worked on putting afterwards with a ladder drill, also did some around the world chipping drills. Tweaked a couple things in my swing to take the pulls out. Im as ready as im going to be, i feel good, and i cant say i could have done more.

On the humor side, apparently i practiced so long, this little guy set up shop on my car.

qe7y2ady.jpg

He wouldn't move, so i pushed him off.

uquse4ej.jpg

Bird 1, Rock 0. Fail.

~Rock

Haha...awesome! Go get em!

It's been hard to concentrate at work, but I'm so grateful that I didn't have a busy day today. I've been talking to some people at the course, and also a few client phone calls (who also play golf, I mean, I'm the Mayor, right?)....were going to have a low turnout for this. I'm not sure we will get 12 people. Part of that is disappointing to me. Some good golfers aren't going to make it.

So I was sitting here thinking, who on earth is going to be my competition. A high schooler who has been struggling lately? The old guy who is gunning for me? But really, the only competition is myself. In other words, the only person who is going to beat me is myself. If I play my game, I can win this

Drove by the course earlier, greens have been mowed. They've been slow and shaggy all week. I wasn't going to practice tonight, but I want to get out there for maybe an hour just to get used to the new green speed. I've won this tournament the last two years on my putting, so there's no need to just go into it blind tomorrow.

~Rock

Get out there. Put some balls...Maybe with a reverse 4 iron.... Do well my friend! :)

Its the morning of.

~Rock

Good luck man, just remember that you've won this multiple times, the victory will come ..all you need to do is go out there and enjoy the game!

Good luck Rock. Hope today is everything that you wanted it to be.

Play well buddy, looking forward to the updates!

Thanks everyone! For the well wishes, and the txt messages. It means a lot to me to have a community of friends behind me.

Nerves are real. Never hit a good tee shot the first 9, but my short game was spot on. 2nd 9, tee shots were ok, short game had its moments.

No one can say im inconsistent on saturdays. Last 3 years, ive shot 73, 71, and today, 72. I go into these things with the course management thought of no big numbers, meaning no double bogeys. I had 3, which i offset with a birdie and an eagle.

but today was the story of the past 6 weeks. Cant flip the switch to go low. Sundays have always been different, and im betting on it tomorrow.

Im in 3d place. No biggie, ive never lead on saturdays. Im one stroke off second, and 7 off first. A guy shot the best golf hes played since i was in high school.

If i had to predict, i need to shoot 64 tomorrow to have a chance. Ive done it before, i can do it again. Just have to play my game.

This year, they are actually putting us in groups on sunday based on where we are positioned. Hopefully i can start fast and put some jitters on mr first place.

I ended on momentum. Driveable par 4 4th, i hung it way right. Had about 65-70 yards on the pitch. Hit it perfectly, knew id have a great look at birdie, but why bother, i put it in the hole for an eagle.

similar end as last year, i have the momentum. Play my game, play like a winner, even if i dont win.

Again, thanks everyone. I really, really do appreciate it.

~Rock

Good luck tomorrow buddy, you can do it!

Nice round today. Good luck tomorrow.

Doing everything wrong tonight, but so right. Not watching legend of bagger vance. Not going to bed at a decent time. Hanging out with wife and friends, having too much, but so relaxed. Got asked if i was nervous, immediately said no, that i wanted to win, but at 7 strokes back, all i could do was show up, and try to play my game relaxed and unconscious.

~Rock

Doing everything wrong tonight, but so right. Not watching legend of bagger vance. Not going to bed at a decent time. Hanging out with wife and friends, having too much, but so relaxed. Got asked if i was nervous, immediately said no, that i wanted to win, but at 7 strokes back, all i could do was show up, and try to play my game relaxed and unconscious.

~Rock
Go get 'em today buddy.

Rock the joint Rock! Good luck man!

JM

Well. I got 4th, won my entry fee back.

I really struggled with my irons off the tee all weekend, but my short game kept me in it. I never could flip the switch. I dont think i made any 8 footers the whole weekend, and in years past, thats where i would win the tourney.

After the first 9, i was 4 strokes off first, 1 stroke off second. Second 9, i had a chance, but a total mental breakdown lead to a triple on a par 3, then a double on another par 3. I had a chance to tie 3d, but left my putt 2 inches short.

Still, 7 strokes back to start, thats a tough one.

Afterwards, i shook everybodys hand that beat me, congratulated them. I played my game, i played like a winner, even though i didnt win.

Thanks everyone, for your support. I have a new found passion to get it back next year.

~Rock

Well. I got 4th, won my entry fee back.

I really struggled with my irons off the tee all weekend, but my short game kept me in it. I never could flip the switch. I dont think i made any 8 footers the whole weekend, and in years past, thats where i would win the tourney.

After the first 9, i was 4 strokes off first, 1 stroke off second. Second 9, i had a chance, but a total mental breakdown lead to a triple on a par 3, then a double on another par 3. I had a chance to tie 3d, but left my putt 2 inches short.

Still, 7 strokes back to start, thats a tough one.

Afterwards, i shook everybodys hand that beat me, congratulated them. I played my game, i played like a winner, even though i didnt win.

Thanks everyone, for your support. I have a new found passion to get it back next year.

~Rock
I'll hold you to that buddy!

Just thought I'd revive this thread long enough to point out that yesterday, I won my 3rd city championship title. In a massive field of ten, I won by 4 strokes. Small field, sure, but two of the golfers consistently shoot 3 strokes better than me every week in league. They did not fall back, I just played better.

Prior to the championship, my game was in shambles, and I was getting upset. I took 2 days off, spent time with the family, and realized its a game that is meant to be fun. So, championship morning, I play video games with my kid, show up and just chat with people before the tournament. Teed off, and for the first 9 holes (its a 9 hole course) I shoot even par. To explain the significance of that, I haven't shot even par at my home course in 2 years.

Anyways, I shot +6 for 27 holes. Even 1st 9, +4 second 9, +2 third 9. It wasn't a threepeat like I was going for a couple years ago, but it still feels good.

~Rock

I remember this thread from way back. Congrats on the win Rock!

JM

Congrats Rock! You own that city!

Back