Hole in One or Even Par?

Seems like I'll echo the sentiment of many by saying that while a HOI would be truly special, shooting even par would give me a greater sense of consistency and accomplishment.

I'd lean towards hole in one. I've done both and I remember everything about my hole in one. Can't say the same about my even par round.

If it were to have a HOI or shoot -1, I'd take the under par round.

I'm gonna go with hole in one.

Apparently they sometimes get videoed with the best of people around and even come with a plaque! :)
Haha buddy! I figured you would go with even par since a hole in one is such old hat for you. Congratulations on a legendary shot that help to close out a legendary event.

Hole in One for me. Still looking for that first one.

The answer of this depends on the handicap level of the golfer being asked. For me of course it's an even par round but for those that are really close to scratch, want that hole in 1 :)

I'm sure there are quite a few that have had both, but for most amateur golfers these are two of the most sought after achievements in the game. If you could only have one of these, which one would it be for you and why?

My answer: I've not had either. I've been close to a HIO on several occasions. Its something I'd really like to have one day. As much as I'd like a HIO, I think of the two I'd prefer an even par round. Achieving an even par round shows a solid total golf game. How about you?

I've had two HIO's and they were awesome and will always be stuck in my memory. I've come within one shot of shooting par so achieving a par round would be my crowning moment in golf.

I have not had a hole in one, but the best two rounds I have played have been Even and -1.

My personal preference would be to shoot even par or under. Like you said, it takes an entire game to do that instead of one lucky shot.
You could have a hole in one and still shoot 100+. I would rather put it 6 feet away on every par 3 and walk out with 2-3 birdies.

I'll take consistant even par. If my game is that solid, it'd be likely I could get that HIO at some point.

Par, easily. I've had an ace. One of the worst rounds of my life. Had to make that ace to break 100 that day - literally. While that swing on that hole was perfect and I knew it was really good right at impact, too many bad golfers can get aces with bad swings and everything. Shooting par takes consistent skill for a full round. That is a much greater accomplishment vs the field in my mind for any amateur.

I'll take both in one round if that's an option, though. ;)

Easy for me. Even par, my best is 83. Shooting even requires work, that's my goal. Anything can happen on a par 3, I've hit an awful shot on a 185 yarder that I pulled left then it snap sliced hard right that rolled 5 inches from the hole. If it were to have gone in, I'd have taken no credit for it.

Even par. I'd rather throw 9 good innings than one perfect inning. Consistency and sustaining good play is the gold standard, not a lucky shot.

Even par or better. Never shot par or had a HIO, but a HIO is just one shot out of millions I will have had through my golf life, whereas a par or better round will be 72 or less shots in a row to acheive a goal. I have watched a few HIOs now and except for one guy, they were all luck as the golfer couldn't predict where his ball was going to save his life. With the scratch golfer who made one he played it just short of the hole and rolled right into the cup. I know one guy who has 6-7 HIOs and 2 in one week, worst swing you will ever see and he is lucky to break 90.

have had both. one of my best feats on the course was an even par round with 18 pars in a row! for those who know, it is very difficult to get 18 pars in a row. :bananadance:

I've had both and though the HIO is something you can talk about for a long time, the level par rounds win for me. :)

I would totally say even par and mainly because that would mean I'm golfing well. You don't just go from shooting in the mid 80's to an even par one day. It's a steady progression and if I could shoot even then that means my game is in a great place to begin with. Anyone could get a HIO.

Back