Ever play holes that are too long

Tee it forward sounds good in theory, but what good does it do to play forward tees when any kind of organized competition is going to force you to play from a certain set of tees?

I'm not the longest hitter, but I can get it out there and I too don't like the 450yard plus par4's. There's a few I know where you can't really use a driver if you're not very straight with it. Absolutely unreachable for most people.

Then again I've been on a ridiculous hole a while back. Dogleg right, turn at 230 yards, 10 yard wide fairway with 2 yards of rough and trees on either side. After the turn there's a 130-ish shot left to a green surrounded by bunkers.

Most greens I'll reach, might have trouble with those really long ones or when there's loads of wind.

I have a course here in NC where there is a:
Par 4: 450, Par 5: 650 - Back tees

I love those actually!

Maximum: If a pga pro can hit a drive 325, followed by a 3 wood at 300 , then a 7 Iron of 200 they could play a par 5 of 800 yards. Bubba averaged 335 on the Nationwide tour. But the point is the pros play par 5s that are usually 200 yards less than their max. Why do average joes who hit a max drive 175, 3 wood 150, and a hybrid 125 total 425 play par 5's from the senior T that are over their max when Bubba and the PGA never plays par 5's longer than their max. The white and senior and the front t's have too many that are longer than the players max.

Take your daughter, wife, mother and grandmother, grandson out and see if they can ever reach the greens in regulation. Ask them if they are enjoying themselves? How would you feel if you were always 1 to 2 shots short of the green. A lot of players only hit the drive 100 to 125 really. And the par four from my clubs #9 from the front T at my club is 275. I wouldn't enjoy more than a few times playing from the front T if my longest drives were 100 to 125 yards. Men, women, and children don't like to do things that make them look incompetent.

Most players that hit their drives 275 and 300 are playing a course that is way easier than those who are playing from the reds and whites.

One of my favorite holes is a 654 yd par 5 at Lederach Golf Club in PA. Obviously I'll never eagle it, but I love the challenge of hitting a good enough 3rd shot to even have a shot at birdie. Best I've done so far is bogey in 4 attempts now.

Maximum: If a pga pro can hit a drive 325, followed by a 3 wood at 300 , then a 7 Iron of 200 they could play a par 5 of 800 yards. Bubba averaged 335 on the Nationwide tour. But the point is the pros play par 5s that are usually 200 yards less than their max. Why do average joes who hit a max drive 175, 3 wood 150, and a hybrid 125 total 425 play par 5's from the senior T that are over their max when Bubba and the PGA never plays par 5's longer than their max. The white and senior and the front t's have too many that are longer than the players max.

Take your daughter, wife, mother and grandmother, grandson out and see if they can ever reach the greens in regulation. Ask them if they are enjoying themselves? How would you feel if you were always 1 to 2 shots short of the green. A lot of players only hit the drive 100 to 125 really. And the par four from my clubs #9 from the front T at my club is 275. I wouldn't enjoy more than a few times playing from the front T if my longest drives were 100 to 125 yards. Men, women, and children don't like to do things that make them look incompetent.

Most players that hit their drives 275 and 300 are playing a course that is way easier than those who are playing from the reds and whites.

Bubba is the longest hitter on tour. That really isn't a fair comparison. PGA Tour averages would shock you. I believe the average driver on Tour is right around 280, if that. The Tour Pros are an exception. To base how we should play based on them is insane. Goes back to a simple fact that most amateurs do not hit the ball as far as they think they do.

I'm a short hitter. My club has a hole with a 200+ yard carry from the blue tees, which are used in club tournaments. The black and championship tees are even longer. I always play from the forward tees but the force carry of this and one other hole prevent me from signing up for club events. No drop zone. Taking lessons, but still frustrating.

Why do average joes who hit a max drive 175, 3 wood 150, and a hybrid 125 total 425 play par 5's from the senior T

How far are you hitting your 6 iron? Just out of curiosity.

I'm guessing then that you have an issue, not with that particular hole but with par 5s in general? Or the location of the Senior tees?

To the OP. If you're playing the farthest tees forward that you have, then I can see your complaint. It's not fun if you hit three really good shots and can't hit the green in regulation. My suggestion would be, if you're not the only one in your group that is having this issue. Why not ask your group if they would like to tee up around 50 yards closer? This way each of you have the same shot at getting on in regulation on those holes that are an issue to you all. Golf should be fun, especially if that's the reason your all out to play to begin with. If you're not all playing for money, or some sort of event...then have fun!

Just a suggestion.

I haven't played any courses in MD/VA that I felt were too long. I did play a par 5 in Myrtle (don't remember the course since its been about 7 years) that was just over 600 yds closer to 650 I think from the tips. Nobody that went on the trip hit in regulation.
Have you played Blue Mash in Olney? Overall it's not the longest course in the area, but hole No. 3, takes two very solid shots to reach from either tee the White or Blue. Hole 2 is not much easier, but a bit. Those are followed by a Par 3 of 200 yards. It may very well be the toughest 4 opening holes in the area.

Have you played Blue Mash in Olney? Overall it's not the longest course in the area, but hole No. 3, takes two very solid shots to reach from either tee the White or Blue. Hole 2 is not much easier, but a bit. Those are followed by a Par 3 of 200 yards. It may very well be the toughest 4 opening holes in the area.

Blue Mash is definitely one of those courses where the printers made mistakes creating the score cards. The card shows holes one through three as par 4s, they are really par 5s. Likewise hole 4 is not a par 3, again a misprint on the card, it is a par 4. See most people are not aware of the misprints on the cards, so they find themselves getting rather frustrated.

I think if you are playing a Par 4 where it takes you 4 good shots to get to the green, then you need to move up a tee or two or three.

Should be noted, nowhere in the rules of golf does it say that you have to go for the green in regulation. There's no shame in laying up on a par 4, or a par 3

My course is far from long but with tiny greens, I have started to lay up just short so I can either roll on the green or have a chip or Texas wedge to get on. I may not hit many greens but I've been seeing quite a few birdie chances.

Ever play holes that are too long

I play 18 of them every day that are too long

Back