Different shoes, different ball flight?

OkieSpladle

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone ever experience this?

I got a new pair of golf shoes about a month ago (FJ Contour Contrast Stitch). They are comfortable enough, but slightly bigger than my other shoes (some old Etonics I've had for 4-5 years) which I kind of liked as my other shoes are a little tight. However, since I got them I noticed that I tend to lose the ball right more when I wear them versus the Etonics. I didn't make the connection at first, but after playing twice a week the last few weeks and rotating the shoes it became obvious that was what was happening. I recall having this issue some when I played a few casual rounds in college without my golf shoes (tennis shoes make me lose everything right), but I have never run into it between golf shoe models. The extra right is great for my driver, but rubbish for everything else. I play better in the Etonics.

I change shoes more than the average bear, and have never noticed that at all.
However there was a tour pro that I am friendly with that had to get his clubs lengthed because his new shoes made him close to an inch taller than his previously clubs and therefore without altering stance was further away from the ball.

With non-repeatable swings, most amateurs would not be that fine tuned. Are you sure its not coincidence?

I have two pairs of shoes I use currently. One is a wide model zero drop shoe that is not at all waterproof and has become my "good weather" shoes. The second pair have a heal and are water resistant so I use them on early morning tee times with dew or when it is raining. Have noticed I generally have better balance and tend to hold my finish a little better with the zero drop model. Don't really notice any significant change in shot shape or trajectory though just maybe a little more consistency with the one pair during the early stages of a round.

However there was a tour pro that I am friendly with that had to get his clubs lengthed because his new shoes made him close to an inch taller than his previously clubs and therefore without altering stance was further away from the ball.

With non-repeatable swings, most amateurs would not be that fine tuned. Are you sure its not coincidence?

I'm not ruling out coincidence, but the sample size is growing to the point where I wonder about it (2 months now). I'm certainly not the greatest player in the world, but after having played for over 20 years I have a decent perception of when I'm off. It is notable that I haven't hit a slice with irons (as my consistent ball-flight throughout a round) in 10+ years before I got these shoes. Because of my workout schedule, its always possible that I just catch my body in different states of recovery, but this is getting pretty weird. I was actually pretty worried that something major was amiss with my swing going into yesterdays round, but suddenly it was gone. Thats when I started to think backwards and noticed a trend emerging.

Those must have been some thick soled shoes...

i have asics tour sunbelts and linksmasters. i know with my skill (or lack of) when i wear my linksmasters i have to hit a couple buckets to adapt to the higher heel

I would say its probably 90% coincidence, and maybe 10% of better fitting shoe for your swing? I don't know, I like my shoes to fit like a glove. I don't like bulky tennis shoe style shoes. When my shoes fit well, I seem to swing better, or at least I think I do. It's hard to explain, but when it fits right, my brain tells me I swing better, even though it's probably just all in my head.

~Rock

Back