Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

So far, the toughest decision has been choosing wedges to accommodate the jacked-up lofts. I'm going to try 52/58, even though I'm used to 56/60.

I bought Wilson Staff TW9 wedges 48 & 54. My set was just irons 4-9. I have an old 44 PW I like and have a 56 & 58 I swap out. The stock Di11 wedges are PW(43), GW(46), SW(55).

The fat shafts are what made the d line and the original deep red irons great. I rocked a set of di7s back in 08 for a season. Loved em. The low hosel took some gettin used to though.

I bought Wilson Staff TW9 wedges 48 & 54. My set was just irons 4-9. I have an old 44 PW I like and have a 56 & 58 I swap out. The stock Di11 wedges are PW(43), GW(46), SW(55).

Thanks for the info! At least to begin with, I'm going to go with the Di11 PW and GW, and then add a 52 and a 58.

I hope the Di11s work well enough without the fat shaft. I need to give them a try on the course...

I use the PW, GW, and I added a 54*. I also have a 60* but I think that's going in the closet for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! At least to begin with, I'm going to go with the Di11 PW and GW, and then add a 52 and a 58.

I hope the Di11s work well enough without the fat shaft. I need to give them a try on the course...

I found a Ci9 gap wedge at 50* that fit in perfectly behind the Di11 gap wedge.

What shafts did you get? If I could have re shafted mine I would probably still be using them.

What shafts did you get? If I could have re shafted mine I would probably still be using them.

My set comes with standard True Temper shafts. I'm fine with the shafts, but I'm still trying to get used to the wider soles on these irons. I'll give them some time, although I'm tempted to change up and go with the Ci11s instead.

My set comes with standard True Temper shafts. I'm fine with the shafts, but I'm still trying to get used to the wider soles on these irons. I'll give them some time, although I'm tempted to change up and go with the Ci11s instead.

I think the wide soles subconsciously make me want to sweep/pick the ball more and I've struggled with that, but they get the ball up really nice if you compress it and still take a nice divot.

I never had a problem with the sole. The only
Issues I had were distance control issues.

Tappin pars

I never had a problem with the sole. The only
Issues I had were distance control issues.

Tappin pars

Me too, when you hit them properly they go a club longer for me. I've struggled with my irons this year, but definitely not the clubs fault.

Me too, when you hit them properly they go a club longer for me. I've struggled with my irons this year, but definitely not the clubs fault.

Agreed, every now and again I'll hit one that just goes so much further than I'm used to. It's only an issue when I'm trying to hit the green :)

Agreed, every now and again I'll hit one that just goes so much further than I'm used to. It's only an issue when I'm trying to hit the green :)

Lol! Strangely enough I don't mind those because it was such a good strike. Just wish I could bottle it :)

The Di7s came stock with TT 105 uniflex steel. Excellent shafts.

Didn't like the di 9 or 11. But when the d100s came out last year they looked much better like they were going back to the classic look.

Didn't like the di 9 or 11. But when the d100s came out last year they looked much better like they were going back to the classic look.

That's interesting. I hit the D100 before settling on the Di11, and I thought the D100 looked bulkier at address. The topline is thinner on the Di11, I think. Not sure about the sole.

D100s vs Di11s:
A 50g ring pulls mass lower and toward the toe and heel for more forgiveness (12% higher MOI than Di11). The lightweight, thin-face irons (up to 7% thinner than Di11) generate faster ball speeds than their predecessor.

That's interesting. I hit the D100 before settling on the Di11, and I thought the D100 looked bulkier at address. The topline is thinner on the Di11, I think. Not sure about the sole.
I sold a set of D100s a few weeks ago on the bay. I thought they were a little more compact but I haven't seen a di 11 up close in a while.

More subjectively, I liked the look of the Di11 better at address, and I also liked the feel of the club better. But, again, that's just me. I prefer the Ci11 to the Di11 as far as appearance goes.

More subjectively, I liked the look of the Di11 better at address, and I also liked the feel of the club better. But, again, that's just me. I prefer the Ci11 to the Di11 as far as appearance goes.
Yeah...you always got to factor in aesthetics. The important thing is how it looks to you.

After too much traveling for work, I finally had a chance to take the Di11s out for a long session at the range. I took along a Ci11 7 iron for comparison. The first bucket I hit was an adventure. I've been using the same set of irons for 15 years, and I had some trouble adjusting to the longer shafts and lower lofts of the Di11s. But once I got the hang of them -- about 40 balls later -- I was amazed. I was hitting the Di11s 10-15 yards longer than my previous set, with a better trajectory. I could even hit the 4 iron with relative ease, and that, for me, is saying something. I was also impressed with the feel: I knew when I didn't strike one cleanly, and I knew when I caught one perfectly. The Ci11 was a good stick, too, but there's not enough offset for my liking. I tend to fade the ball, but fades were turning into slices with the Ci11s. I prefer the narrower soles on the Ci11s, but pretty is as pretty does. I'll always choose the clubs that make my bad shots less bad. In this case, that's the Di11s.

I can't wait to try these on the course.

Last edited:
Those of you who have gamed these irons, or are still playing them, what kind of trajectory did you see? I seem to have mid flight with these, and to be honest I'm not sure if it's my swing or the flight of these clubs in order to get more distance. A few guys I was playing with yesterday had slower swings like I do, but had much higher flight and softer landings especially with the scoring irons. Curious to know what you've all seen.

I'm a fan of the DI series of irons. I hit the DI7, DI9, and DI11 all about the same. I just happened to find a good deal on DI7s, so went with those. The 7s came with UST Proforce V2 shafts, which I rather like. Wilson Staff still makes some really good clubs and you can often find a good deal on them, especially if you can get a gently used second hand set.

Those of you who have gamed these irons, or are still playing them, what kind of trajectory did you see? I seem to have mid flight with these, and to be honest I'm not sure if it's my swing or the flight of these clubs in order to get more distance. A few guys I was playing with yesterday had slower swings like I do, but had much higher flight and softer landings especially with the scoring irons. Curious to know what you've all seen.

I used them for about 9 months and I liked them quite a bit. Had a mid-high ball flight with good distance. No problem.
I have about a 105 driver SS

I used them for about 9 months and I liked them quite a bit. Had a mid-high ball flight with good distance. No problem.
I have about a 105 driver SS

Thanks for the input! My driver swing is around 95, distance isn't a problem on most shots for me, I've just noticed that with scoring clubs I'm getting a few more bounces and rollout based on flight. I went back through the thread a bit last night and it seems like everyone's happy with the flight on the scoring clubs, so it's most likely the carpenter and not the tools.

My trajectory with these is mid to mid-high -- especially with the scoring clubs -- and I don't swing hard with my irons. The key for me, which other posters in this thread have mentioned, is to make sure to try to compress the ball. With the wider soles, it's tempting to sweep the ball, and that's not a good move for my swing with these clubs.

I was practicing approach shots this morning & focused on my 5 iron & 4 iron because my distances have improved & I think I need to put the 4 iron into the bag to fit the gap betwen my 5i and my 19.5* Fybrid. I gotta say I'm very happy with how the ball comes off the face of both irons - nice, high draws (especially when the ball is teed up, but even from the fairway the trajectory & distances were good!) It might be time to start hitting the 4i as my 170 yard club.

Back