How Do You Test Wedges?

I've also learned that I need to choose my wedges in reference to my irons. For example, I bought a pair of CG15s, which were great in and of themselves, but I felt uncomfortable hitting them after hitting a bunch of shots with my Di11s in the course of a round. I've since switched to a pair of CG16s, which don't have quite the feel around the greens as the CG15s, but have soles and weighting closer to the Di11s. The feel with my wedges is now more consistent with the feel of my irons. And, consequently, I feel more confident standing over the ball.

I have hit a lot of wedges in stores, from other players, etc.. Typically I find something I like, then purchase it and put it through its paces. I personally don't have access to a good enough practice facility that also does club demo to really test it any other way.

I will say that I was fairly surprised during a recent round of testing just how different some of the less conventional wedges performed against the more classic blade wedges when I did a bake off. This was true not only in the rough and out of the sand, but also on the monitor.

I was thinking the exact same thing a year or so ago when I retired my Cleveland TA 900 Gunmetal forged wedges.

I went with Vokey because I heard rave reviews - they have been very good to me however, my next set which I will be getting next season will definitely be forged again - can't really explain it but I like the "heavier" feel of the head - the Vokeys just feel too light/Clicky to me - I guess thats the difference between milled and forged?

Either way, I wish there were more ways to test wedges - especially outside in real playing conditions. The ones I will be pondering will be the Mackdaddy 2s or 3s in most likely the tour grind.

I haven't bought many wedges but I usually start with Google. search: "Best wedge", read for 3 minutes then type search "type 1 vs type 2". I am in process now of wedge shopping. My biggest concern other than gapping is forged vs. cast. The cast will last many years and have a lighter faster swing, but the forged will be more solid, but the metal more soft and also rust over time. Rust can become non-conforming, but for a hacker like me it could be a plus if I keep the grooves sharp.

I've never really tested wedges.

But, if i were to do that, I would first look for W's that offer that same loft & bounce of my current wedges. Next, I would see what metal offerings were available.

The only new technology now, that I haven't really researched, is wedge shafts. My normal thinking would be to put the same shaft as my 5-PW into my GW, SW and/or LW. (Personally, I don't use a SW. I mostly used my LW. My GW is used from the sand if it is a longer greenside sand shot.). My current wedge shafts (TT Dyn. Gold S) are different than my irons (KBS Tour X). But, that is because my irons were fitted and my W's are hand-me-downs.

My current W's are Mizuno's (51 & 60). I don't know the bounce. But, assuming the newest Mizzi's feel the same, in my hands, I'd just get the new ones with the same loft and bounce.

Back