Need help with chunk shot (Videos included)

Quad4_72

Reaction score
Handicap
So I have been having a problem recently with the chunk shot and I can't figure out what is causing it. It pops up from time to time and can be quite a nuisance on the Golf course.

The first video here is a view of my swing from the back. In this shot, there is no chunk, and I hit the ball very well.

The next video is a view from the front, and I also hit the ball well.

In the third video, the dreaded chunk occurs. I have tried comparing these videos to each other and I can't identify the problem.

Any advice?

And idk if this helps for analyzing, but here is a view of my swing in regular speed both front and back:

ok i will go first. some head movement at the top of the backswing and quite a bit of breakdown in the right knee at the top. that means you have to put a lot of things back together on the downswing. if you time it a little wrong....... problems.

check out the right knee and the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DuFdLJn2ww

ok i will go first. some head movement at the top of the backswing and quite a bit of breakdown in the right knee at the top. that means you have to put a lot of things back together on the downswing. if you time it a little wrong....... problems.

check out the right knee and the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DuFdLJn2ww

Ok so by the right knee breaking down what do you mean exactly? Should I straighten it out more? Is this problem in all of the swings, or just the chunk shot?

Not every swing is perfect. You don't take a wide backswing (on problem shots) in my opinion which lends to more imperfections.

Not every swing is perfect. You don't take a wide backswing (on problem shots) in my opinion which lends to more imperfections.

I see what you are saying with this and I have actually been trying to work on it. I am gonna try and bring my hands up higher and straighten my left arm out more in order to widen the swing. It's just hard to tell if I am getting it right without seeing myself.

Your swing is pretty good. It's a little long but it's pretty sound. The left heel coming off the ground is not my favorite and I'm not sure you need it. But I'm sure this is an old habit so continue on. Just know that you have to make sure you don't allow the club head to get in front of the hands.

With that left heel coming up if you don't hold the angle and allow the club to pass the hands you're going to bottom out.

The width of his swing is not causing the fat shot. In fact the extension he has is very good. The break down occurs at the top with the wrist. But his width is fine

Your swing is pretty good. It's a little long but it's pretty sound. The left heel coming off the ground is not my favorite and I'm not sure you need it. But I'm sure this is an old habit so continue on. Just know that you have to make sure you don't allow the club head to get in front of the hands.

With that left heel coming up if you don't hold the angle and allow the club to pass the hands you're going to bottom out.

So what is the fix? You are saying the left heel coming up is what is causing the chunk?

So what is the fix? You are saying the left heel coming up is what is causing the chunk?

The fix is to hold the angle created with the left arm and the club. If you don't the club will or could out race the hands to the ball. If this happens you'll see the fat side of a shot.

Back