Hand/Forearm rotation in the takeaway

BRISTOL86

Reaction score
Hi Guys

In the very first section of the takeaway - between address and the club coming parallel to the ground - should there be any rotation of the hand/forearm at all?

My instructor mentioned that when the club is parallel to the ground, the club face should be at a 90 degree angle to the ground, i.e. toe pointing straight up in the air. I feel that to achieve this it's not enough to just turn my shoulders, and that I need to rotate the hands/forearms just a little bit to achieve this. Is this right, or is this going to cause me issues?

02125ad22c80a74bb54eed2530d7d00f.png

^ ^ This is the kind of position I'm talking about. In order for me to get the toe of the club pointing straight up as shown here, I feel like I need to add a little forearm/wrist rotation, and that the movement of my arms caused by the shoulder turn isn't enough. Unless I add that rotation, I find my clubface to be a bit more closed at this position.

I'm trying to master the fundamentals now so that I can practice in good habits and not ingrain bad ones!

Thanks

The rotation of the forearms is achieved with the shoulders. It's not a manual manipulation. As the arms move back away from the ball and the shoulders begin their turn. This combo will rotate the club face into the correct position. Any additional rotation will put the club in a less than desirable position

The rotation of the forearms is achieved with the shoulders. It's not a manual manipulation. As the arms move back away from the ball and the shoulders begin their turn. This combo will rotate the club face into the correct position. Any additional rotation will put the club in a less than desirable position

Thanks Freddie. That's what I'd presumed, that any additional 'manual' involvement of the hands/arms is undesirable!

Thanks

The majority of my mishits are from unintentional manual manipulation. If I let my shoulders do the work I usually make good contact and achieve the shot I desire.

Back