BRISTOL86's Road to Improvement!

BRISTOL86

Reaction score
Hi All

If you've seen any of my threads lately, you'll know I'm a newcomer to the game who has really been struggling with very inconsistent contact with the ball.

Well, I decided that if I was serious about getting better - which I am - then lessons were the way forward. So I bit the bullet, and booked in a lesson, which I had yesterday.

My pro asked me what I wanted to get out of the lesson, and I told her that I wanted her to rip apart my fundamentals, and I would be 100% open to whatever she told me, and would leave all my previously assumed knowledge at the door, which seemed to go down very well. I think she was pleased with the fact that I wasn't going in with a "well I've always done it this way" or "my friend says you should do it like this" approach.

We decided the best way forward was to start building my swing up in small steps, starting with the absolute fundamentals.

She had me hit a handful of balls and just watched, to make her observations about what I was doing.

She said my posture and stance were better than the average beginner, and that although my grip was already pretty good, it needed a couple of small modifications. She said I was too dominant with my right hand, causing the clubface to be very closed at impact. She also took a photo on my phone of my grip, so that I can refer to it when I practice in case I regress back to the way I was before. She also gave me a neat tip which was to open the right palm when I'm set up at address, and it should be pointing to the target line. With my "old" grip, it was pointing about 20-30 degrees to the right, which surprised me!

Then when she was happy with the way I was gripping the club, we looked at my takeaway. I had a couple of major issues - the most notable being that I was not turning much at all. I was trying to keep my torso and lower body in a similar position to address all the way through the backswing, which was causing me all kind of trouble. So she gave me a good drill for a rotational takeaway. She had me just taking the club back to parallel with the ground - very short backswings which felt very strange!

But what was noticeable was that the ball wasn't going that much less distance than when I took a full swing. I was gobsmacked at how such a couple of small changes could make such a contrasting difference.

Then before I knew it, the lesson was over, and she said that all she wants me working on until the next time, is doing those little 90 degree back and through swings, really working on the feel of that rotational takeaway and getting the toe of the club pointing up.

All in all, really pleased I took the lesson, and am looking forward to practicing what I've been shown and building up my swing gradually, but with a really solid foundation. It's reassuring to know that I've gone back to square one, happily forgetting what I thought I knew before. Clear mind, clean start.

Anyway, I will check in regularly and post with updates on my progress, as an incentive to keep practicing! Reporting back with positive news will be more rewarding than negative news!

Cheers all
Martin

Good luck buddy. Here's to us dropping the 36!

Good luck with your lessons! I finally booked some lessons earlier this year myself, best money I have spent to date. I went in with the same approach, do what you need to do. It has taken a while but I'm finally starting to hit the ball consistently. Keep us posted on your progress.

Congrats. Good luck and remember to stay focused on the goal. It will be hard at times but don't let frustration get the better of you. If golf was easy more of us would be scratch golfers

Then before I knew it, the lesson was over, and she said that all she wants me working on until the next time, is doing those little 90 degree back and through swings, really working on the feel of that rotational takeaway and getting the toe of the club pointing up.

This is the difference between taking a lesson with a pro and taking advice from friends or random people on the course or driving range. They'd be telling you "keep your head down," or "pull your left foot back," or "really try to roll your wrists," or any other number of "tips" and you'd look and feel like a hot mess.

Wow, today something amazing happened.

I went to the driving range to hit 100 balls, and something just clicked!

I've really been struggling with really inconsistent contact - for every 100 balls I'd hit about 20 "pure" strikes, 20 thin shots, 20 fat shots, 20 shanks off wildly to the side, but today something awesome happened.

Of my 100 balls, I'd say 60 were totally pure straight shots, 30 were slightly mishit but still well "in play" if I was out on the course, and only about 10 were hit thin or fat. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I've only had one lesson, but the improvement is ridiculous. I literally cannot wait for my next lesson on Wednesday. The funny thing is I have no idea what is happening differently! What a great feeling.

Wow, today something amazing happened.

I went to the driving range to hit 100 balls, and something just clicked!

I've really been struggling with really inconsistent contact - for every 100 balls I'd hit about 20 "pure" strikes, 20 thin shots, 20 fat shots, 20 shanks off wildly to the side, but today something awesome happened.

Of my 100 balls, I'd say 60 were totally pure straight shots, 30 were slightly mishit but still well "in play" if I was out on the course, and only about 10 were hit thin or fat. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

I've only had one lesson, but the improvement is ridiculous. I literally cannot wait for my next lesson on Wednesday. The funny thing is I have no idea what is happening differently! What a great feeling.

Great to hear that! Keep going with the lessons - brilliant to see the improvement :smile:

Thought I'd update you guys with some progress!

So as you know I've really struggled to find any kind of consistent contact with my irons. I've had two lessons and felt like I have made some good progress, so tonight I went out with a friend around the same par-3 course I played before I had my first lesson so that I could compare. Well, what a difference a couple of lessons made!

The first time I played this course (before I ever had a lesson) was about 4 weeks ago. I shot a terrible score (98) having taken 3 or 5 shots from the tee because of my horrible ball striking meaning that I really struggled to keep balls in play. As you will know, this makes getting any kind of respectable score incredibly difficult!

So, here are my results from today versus that day for comparison. I'm almost embarassed to post them, the score from today is still incredibly embarassing, but I came away feeling like a winner becuase of how much better my ball striking was. I lost ONE ball today having lost NINE last time out. I was also really frustrated because I had one truly horrendous hole (a 10) because I hit a bunker (never played a bunker shot in my life before!) and just couldn't get the damned thing out! But my contact on my shots was SO much better and SO much more consistent, which really gave me a lot of positivity and confidence.

All in all, a lot of positives I think. My first time out I only shot 4 pars/bogeys, and I shot more than double that this time. If my putting was a bit better I could have made par on another 4 holes. If it hadn't been for that bunker and if my putting/chipping was better today, I could have taken 20 strokes off my score from just 4 weeks ago. I managed to hole out in 2 puts or less on 11/18 holes (same as the first time) and today was in horrible conditions (wet and very windy) so I'm pretty pleased with my progress! Oh and I have tonsillitis, so I'm going to claim that added a couple of strokes ;)

It sounds strange celebrating shooting 89 on a par 54 course, but improvement is relative to our starting ability! And as I said if it wasn't for one horror moment and some duffed chips I would have been < 80 which would have been a really good improvement.

So, more practice time at the range, and more course time, and hopefully these scores will keep falling!

f2bcf9b0f079b9909bc6e0e20398c095.png

cb67179cd872046aa46be23e9cf5d829.png

Big improvement there for sure! I feel your pain on the iron striking , that's my major issue too, there's no hiding from it when you're out on the course either.

Keep up the good work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing that helps me is don't think about or compare previous scores in fact now I am trying not to even think about the previous shot / swing. Play each one and just concentrate on that shot. Try and visualise the ball flight and pick a landing spot on the course. Talk with your Pro and try and get a trigger to start your swing. I had this conversation with mine this week, and he gave me a suggestion and it works. I played 18 this morning and had some of the best most consistent iron swings yet on the course, purely from one trigger thought and one downswing thought, in fact the downswing is starting to become more natural and less thinking.

Great improvement on your previous score. I find par 3 courses harder as there is less room for directional or distance error.

One thing that helps me is don't think about or compare previous scores in fact now I am trying not to even think about the previous shot / swing. Play each one and just concentrate on that shot. Try and visualise the ball flight and pick a landing spot on the course. Talk with your Pro and try and get a trigger to start your swing. I had this conversation with mine this week, and he gave me a suggestion and it works. I played 18 this morning and had some of the best most consistent iron swings yet on the course, purely from one trigger thought and one downswing thought, in fact the downswing is starting to become more natural and less thinking.

Great improvement on your previous score. I find par 3 courses harder as there is less room for directional or distance error.

I think at my stage of the game it's about the best measure of what I'm getting from my lessons.

To lose 9 strokes off my last outing (would have been 15 were it not for one horrendous issue!) and lose 1 ball instead of 9 for me was a massive deal, and it gave me a big amount of confidence that I'm going to keep improving!

I think at my stage of the game it's about the best measure of what I'm getting from my lessons.

To lose 9 strokes off my last outing (would have been 15 were it not for one horrendous issue!) and lose 1 ball instead of 9 for me was a massive deal, and it gave me a big amount of confidence that I'm going to keep improving!

Thats awesome. Keep up the hard work....it's a nice thing to leave the course with as close to the same amount of balls u started with. 9 stroke difference is good. I'm like you where I am working on eliminating the blow up hole. I try not to compare previous scores...last time I did that I shot shot 10 strokes higher. I had a good day on a tough course and he next time I put pressure on myself to score the same or better and it killed me and caused a couple blow up holes.

Had a really fun morning today playing a beginners group game at the local par 3 course. About 30 of us from the place I have my lessons, played in my first Texas Scramble.

Highlight was hitting probably my best shot ever.

177 yard Par-3 , bunker to the front left of the green. Normally my striking with anything longer than a 7 iron is very hit and miss, but due to the format of the game and the fact we are all beginners, it took a lot of pressure off. So being daring, I whipped out my 6 iron. Well, I caught it about as true as I've ever caught any shot, and it sailed 10 yards past the pin, to the edge of the green! Definitely my best strike ever during an actual round!

Really good, fun, pressure-free game.

Bristol keep you focus on good ball striking and not so much on immediate results. You're in this for the long term so built your new swing to be repetitive. If nothing else being able to strike a ball solid even on poor scoring days allows you to live with the number you post. You got this man so stay focused :bomb:

Bristol keep you focus on good ball striking and not so much on immediate results. You're in this for the long term so built your new swing to be repetitive. If nothing else being able to strike a ball solid even on poor scoring days allows you to live with the number you post. You got this man so stay focused :bomb:

Definitely! It's already made a massive difference having a couple of lessons, and I'm getting out to practice as much as possible. I'm going to be having lessons through the winter and I'm even deliberately leaving woods out of my bag for now as I focus on building up my swing.

Back