TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

Case in point, AD-DI worked terribly for me, AD-MT was a whole different story. The combo of low and forward CG makes finding the right launch angle and spin touchy.

You're right. I almost feel like War's THPMC experience bares that out.

For whatever it's worth. I tried 4 different shafts in my SLDR. The TP Speeder, a Black Tie, a Red Tie, and a Fuji Fuel.

One worked better for me than the others. This is a goofy driver head. Finding a good shaft pairing is really key. Almost more key than other driver heads.

I tried 6 and found the same thing you did
I tried the Fuel, Tour Green , Black tie , Rip Alpha, Blue Board, & the TP the Tour Green Preformed best for my swing

For me, the stock shaft and Tp shaft and I didn't get along and I kept launching it too low, even in max loft settings.

That club though.. You catch it with a good move, it's going to get out there. You catch it center of the face and it really gets out there.
The Tour Green or Blue seem to work for a few people i know with it

The stock might well work for some people, doesn't mean it's not a pile of steaming junk.

The stock might well work for some people, doesn't mean it's not a pile of steaming junk.

It's not a pile for those people that it works for. It's a matter of fit.

Diamana S+ with my 10.5 set to standard produces a nice ball flight with lots of distance and rollout.

A question I have been pondering with this club and lofting up/launch angle. The TP shaft was a little low launching and if I were gaming that I would probably play a higher loft. There are 2 ways I see increasing launch angle, either by playing a higher lofted head or playing a higher launching shaft. Is any method superior to the other?

A question I have been pondering with this club and lofting up/launch angle. The TP shaft was a little low launching and if I were gaming that I would probably play a higher loft. There are 2 ways I see increasing launch angle, either by playing a higher lofted head or playing a higher launching shaft. Is any method superior to the other?

#LoftUp

Never thought I would see the day a 12* driver was in my bag. Now you would have to rip it out of my cold dead hands.

#LoftUp

Never thought I would see the day a 12* driver was in my bag. Now you would have to rip it out of my cold dead hands.

What were you playing before?

Not if it works for your swing

The higher lofted head will get you bigger incresses than a shaft

The higher lofted head will get you bigger incresses than a shaft

I agree with that. The shaft will tweak the numbers, but to see the most difference you need to change the loft of the club.

Thanks everyone, just been a little curious on that. With my R1 when I went in to the TMPL the fitter recommended 8º for me with the TP Phenom. I picked up the SLDR with the Kai'li never having seen numbers, though having hit it on the range, and pulled the trigger because it was a great deal. I initially set it to 10.5º but after playing with it found 9.5º to be better with that shaft.

I did try the TP at 12º on a store monitor and sim but was getting way too much height and spin. I don't trust those store setups much to begin with.

I did try it with my black tie at 11º on the range and the launch angle looked fine but I could tell it was killing spin too much with the ball just dropping out of the sky. Some of that could be the range balls. Part of it might be me just always being in constant ponder mode but I am a little curious how something in between would play with a little higher loft.

For whatever it's worth. I tried 4 different shafts in my SLDR. The TP Speeder, a Black Tie, a Red Tie, and a Fuji Fuel.

One worked better for me than the others. This is a goofy driver head. Finding a good shaft pairing is really key. Almost more key than other driver heads.

What shaft are you playing with it?

I've seen that combo in play a few times and it's got me thinking

I'm not saying anything about the pairing other than I have enjoyed it.

The black tie isn't for everybody. But it works out for me.

My buddy Winchell has that combo and it works for him as well. I have really clicked with the TP speeder shaft and I won't be changing that out. But I might borrow his every now and then

I tried it in mine and it was super low launching granted mine is a 7m3 but in the R1 it is a great combo

Tonight's range session has me thinking R1 for sale.

6m3 Black Tie.

I tried that one but had better results with the 7m3. I didn't get to try the 8m3 or other heavier shafts though.

So I have had this one 2 1/2 weeks, have hit lots of balls with it. From reading here I EXPECTED A TINY SWEET SPOT, you need to hit it right on the screws and then it really goes etc. Personally I had experienced only one swing with A SLDR, asked guy I was hooked up with if I could try his SLDR OFF 18 TEE', result longest drive of season. After that I eliminated the SLDR as being not worth a go based on what some opined here. Was it a fluke ? Is the SLDR an unforgiving tiny sweet spot mess? A couple of months passed and decided the hell with all that chatter, I got a SLDR based on that one swing, shaft felt perfect, headweight felt perfect, ball speed was up there so why not .

I have not found any of those negatives. If you hit the SLDR reasonably close to the sweet spot it is long and accurate, if you don't it is just like any other driver out there. If was not a good swing you know it and can feel it but it will be no worse than the other drivers if you are out on the toe, in the heel, low or high on the face.

Just proves everyone is different, broad opinions on performance are just one persons experience. I can't say anything negative about SLDR performance, it really works, exceptional driver.

Back