Swing the handle?

Did you start your lessons with him because of a slice?
No, I started because I was wanting to pick up more speed as I'm down in the low 90s.

Well his teaching is to set up, then pull the handle back and let that pull the club head. So pulling the handle closes the face. My misses were always low hooks.

Swinging the handle doesn't mean Crete lag on the take away. If you were shutting the club on the take away then you were not swinging the handle. The concept is as much mental as it physical. The idea is to focus on the handle and not the head of the club. By focusing on a smaller piece of the club, your control should increase. But like any swing method, it's not for everyone.

Bumping this thread because it was a huge help to me today on the range. I'm someone who tends to swing through my practice swing but focus too much on hitting the ball on the real thing. Thinking of swinging the handle was getting me to release the club a lot more consistently, which is what we've been working on in lessons.

I've tried so hard to do the one piece body controlled swing and at times it could be very effective but when using my shoulders to initiate the takeaway I would swing the club to far too the inside and I just couldn't make that swing feeling work for me. My natural inclination was to swing the handle and feel like my backswing is a sequence. Hands, arms, shoulders. For me personally swinging the handle keeps the club from going inside too early and since I've gone back to to that sensation my ball striking is the best it's been since I came back to golf after a ten year layoff. It's funny because instruction stresses the use of the larger muscles for consistency but with my handle initiated swing, my swing has become more consistent and repeatable. Of course it's not for everyone but I've just accepted that's my swing and I'm gonna stick with it.

Now if only I could chip I think I'd get back to the 70's.

Back