Impact Zone by Bobby Clampett

Scottybow777

Reaction score
Handicap
Well I just bought the book the Impact Zone
Golfs Moment of Truth
by Bobby Clampett
I would have loved to have gotten the DVD set.
Maybe later but for now I had to at least get the book.
After watching some of Martin Chuck's YouTube videos where he mentions Bobby Clampett's book, I watch the YouTube videos I could find on Bobby's impact zone.
It is helped me so much just implementing the little bit I could find on YouTube, I had to get the book.
Can't wait for it to come in the mail… :)

Anyone else out there have this book and/or the DVD set… What are your thoughts ?

I have the book. Bought it years ago and always try to read it, but move on after a few days. It's a tough one to stay engaged with at times.

I have the book. Bought it years ago and always try to read it, but move on after a few days. It's a tough one to stay engaged with at times.

What do you mean ???

It's pretty technical, long, and a little boring.

Not saying it isn't good theory or whatever, because it's gotten a lot of good feedback. I just had a hard time staying interested while reading it.

I agree with Hawk in terms of it being at times hard to read. Sometimes gets a bit rambling in the middle of chapters. The drills are good, though.

It's pretty technical, long, and a little boring.

Not saying it isn't good theory or whatever, because it's gotten a lot of good feedback. I just had a hard time staying interested while reading it.

Totally agree. I have had this book for probably 8 years, and I have tried reading it probably once a year and gotten bored. Maybe I just have ADD but not the easiest book to read IMHO.

Yeah I'm not the best reader, although I'm a lot better than I used to be…
I am mentally geared toward somebody explaining things thoroughly, but I definitely want to take things into a feel player mode.

I have a local range near to me that is part of a local park, they have telephone pole high netting in a horseshoe shape around the smallish range.
I always walk my dogs out there anyway.
So lately while I've been working on this, I walk my dogs around the net and find balls that slip through under, and hit them back into the net, doing the focus point drill seeing how far in front of my ball I can make my divot ...
My ball striking has improved massively already.
And I know this book will just help me bring it all together with my stance, swing plane and stepping into the ball

Nice dude. I'll be following along and hope that it works out for you. I've wanted to check out the DVD's for a long time, but just never commit to spending the money.

Nice dude. I'll be following along and hope that it works out for you. I've wanted to check out the DVD's for a long time, but just never commit to spending the money.

Yeah I was really wondering about the DVDs myself… I would love to get them !!!!
But like you right now I just can't really justify spending the money on it.
I just bought a new driver and I also got one of those SKLZ Tempo Trainers.
That has really helped my lag and my core strength a lot, but as we all know it doesn't add up to squat if you don't get into the right impact position… Especially with the irons

Anyone have the Impact Zone DVD set ???

Okay here's an update on the impact zone.
Went to the range yesterday evening...
Wow I have never hit the ball So Solid, So Consistently !!! :-0 :))))
After doing the Educating the Hands drills every day a couple times a day, it finely is getting where I can do it with out thinking about as much and just step into my left side and turn through..... AWSOME
Still no Book yet, can't weight :)

Yeah I was hitting all my clubs all the way through the bag really solid, I used one of my older 8 Irons that is a lot less forgiving.
Then I went to my Driver, followed by my 3 Hybrid , then the 3 Wood !!!! Wow

After this conversation, I opened up the eBook and flipped through a bit. I put a bit into practice yesterday, focusing on in front of the ball rather than the ball, and that led to some nice crisp half wedges.

The one thing I'm wondering about though is his discussion of hitting down on the ball with all clubs, including driver.

However, when I went to look this up, I was surprised to find that while the PGA players hit up on average, the women hit down on average.

Yeah I still have yet to read the book, but right now when I hit my driver I just lead with the left arm and I try to have the hands in front of the club head ie :flat left wrist bent right wrist; through the impact angle that I want to put on the ball... More sweeping up with the driver.
Depending on what kind of ball flight you want to have the driver at that time.
IMO

However, when I went to look this up, I was surprised to find that while the PGA players hit up on average, the women hit down on average.

That's interesting - in Martin Chuck's new DVD set, he mentions that the PGA average is -1* down, and the LPGA are averaging +3* (with long drivers at +4*).

That's interesting - in Martin Chuck's new DVD set, he mentions that the PGA average is -1* down, and the LPGA are averaging +3* (with long drivers at +4*).

That sounds about right, seems to make a little more sense ???

Martin Chucks
Tour Striker- Down Swing Sequence ; You tube video has helped me a lot as far as taking it to the full swing, turning through

It was old data I was looking at. The newer ones match what you have, Russ.

There's an older full length Leadbetter vid on YouTube where they do talk about hitting down or just level with the driver. New bigger heads and materials have changed that, though.

That being said, I definitely got a lot out of The Impact Zone, that's what got me looking in front of the ball on iron shots which helped me make much better contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's an older full length Leadbetter vid on YouTube where they do talk about hitting down or just level with the driver. New bigger heads and materials have changed that, though.

That being said, I definitely got a lot out of The Impact Zone, that's what got me looking in front of the ball on iron shots which helped me make much better contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do it on putts as well. Prevents me from getting ball bound and hitting instead of rolling.

Update on my Impact Zone Journey.
I have been reading the book and working on this now for about two weeks.
I have definitely had my ups and downs, but that's to be expected.
My biggest problem has been working myself out of swaying back into my back leg too much on the backswing instead of just turning coiling, ""this all became really clear to me when Videoed myself with my phone"", when I swayback off the ball like that on the backswing, it makes it real hard to get back to the forward swing bottom in front of the ball, staying centered over the ball and just coiling has felt really awkward at first, like any major swing change will.
But it's really all starting to come together really well now :)
The aiming point drill and keeping that thought when I'm actually hitting balls along with
"keeping my mind in my hands instead of the ball or the club head"
As he says, have been my major swing keys for me.
I can tell I'm going to have to really keep an eye on not swaying back off the ball in the backswing, as we all know how those long-term bad habits want to keep creeping back in :-0 :-€
Last night at the range went really awesome, after I caught myself swaying on the first couple swings… I started coiling in the backswing and turning through the forward swing keeping my mind in my hands and hands in front of the ball through impact and I was hitting some super nice shots with all of my irons… Hitting balls right off of the mat you stand on, the mat wasn't real hard, it had a little give to it :)
Also hit my hybrids and 3 metal off of the artificial grass they have in the hitting area of the range mats really well, making ball first contact :) !!!
I only hit my driver a few times, but coiling instead of swaying ... OMG I was amazed at how solid I hit the ball, and the distance I was getting !!!
I try to keep my hands in front of the ball and hit down slightly with the Driver as well, and I definitely getting more penetrating ball flight, like he says when you do that though you probably will have to up your loft, fortunately mine is adjustable and I can still go from 10.5 to 11.5 with my Cobra Amp Cell :)
I did try some different Irons last night at the range as well, with minimal offset as he recommends considering as you get better.
The Bio Cell + in Reg and Stiff flex Steel shafts.
First of all these irons are amazing !!!
And I definitely hit the regular flex shafts better off the mat, I don't know if that would be different in the grass, I doubt it, if anything the mat is probably more of a test for something that could possibly be a little too flexible ???
This is definitely a journey or work in progress as they say, and it's far from over…
But I can tell already it's one well worth taking, with a lot of potential improvement :)

Nice work and glad to hear that you're seeing some progress!

https://vimeo.com/102524040
Thought I would try my hand at uploading a small video :)
This is the swaying move I was talking about that I need to work myself out of :-0
I know, I know… But like they say a pictures worth 1000 words

Okay I would like everyone's opinion on hitting balls off of the range mat as far as the quality of practice that you get doing that?
As well as any warnings about hand injuries or anything like that ?
PS
The grass at my local range tends to be on the rough side, so I find myself either hitting off bad lies or practically teeing it up on the grass ?

Back