Indoor Herb Garden

I have a friend that has a hydroponic system to grow "herbs." He has been doing it quite a while, and it seems pretty labor intensive. Have you thought about window box planters? My mother used to have a bunch of herbs on a box shelf my father built on the window sill at our kitchen sink. She didn't have tomatoes, but I remember having basil, rosemary, and some other fresh herbs

Never tried that route, but even then you need to have sunlight. If you have 4-6 hours of sunlight that the herbs can sit in, it seems like hydroponic is your best bet as far as indoor solutions go since you can pretty much set and forget for a few days at a time RE: Water.

The indoor hydroponic setups have light built into it so you don't need light. We don't really have a great spot for direct sunlight at least not higher up where the dogs won't get to it, that's why I was thinking of one of these self-contained gardens like the aerogarden, I think that's what it's called.

Many Herbs do well out of hanging baskets too GG, we've had success with doing it this way in the past. Care and feeding is quite simple. Although basil is one that I would do out of a larger pot, and as long as you care for them they can get quite large. Keep them from flowering and they just keep growing. Tomatoes can be done, but they too can get quite large. We grow the Marzano variety for sauce, but mostly because we like them over the Roma. It's a matter of choice really. Cakes can be done but they require a trellis for indoor and can be trained quite easily.

We have the screened in porch that gets light, but would need to be manually watered.

I grow my herbs in containers so that I can have them close by and can move them if I need to. We grow tomatoes and cucumbers (and one lone eggplant plant for me) in a raised bed. I like the raised bed "look" and it makes it easier to keep the plants growing in well- nourished soil. You can build one to whatever size you need and use them as borders to something like a patio or low deck.

Back