Atlanta area courses?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
My brother in law and family just moved to Cumming, GA. Myself and a few others are going to visit him Labor day weekend. I was wondering if there were any good courses in the area. Unfortunately we will only be teeing it up one day and I'd rather not play a cow pasture if it can be avoided so I'm asking for any suggestions from some THP'ers.

Thanks!

jdtox - Welcome south Brother! Hope you have a great time in the ATL. Could you give a few more details that will help the recommendations, such as price range, level of who all is playing (beginner, expert, etc..), what type courses do you like, is pace of play a major factor....Based on your answers I'm sure the board can steer you in the right direction.

I live in the Cumming area and would be glad to help. How far from Cumming would you like to drive?

• Admin
Thanks. I'm just visiting this time around, but if my wife has her way we may be moving down there in a year or so.:bulgy-eyes:

Anyways to answer your questions nobody is an expert... Im a 11 hdcp and the other guys are more like 20-25. Everyone can hit the ball for the most part. Price isn't that big of an issue but Id say $65 and under for 18/cart if thats feasible? and as far as pace of play I just don't want to feel rushed. We wouldn't be super slow but wouldn't be burning up the fairways either.

• Admin
Here are a few off the top of my head based on your reply above:

1. Bear's Best - A premier daily fee in North Atlanta, but a bit out of your range (about $100)

2. Legacy on Lake Lanier - Nice little track around Lake Lanier with several holes on the water. I played it last year and got a nice deal for around $60 but that may have been week-day. Good for average golfers b/c its fun but not too hard.

3. Echelon - One of the better values on the north side IMO, Rees Jones design, former private club that went bankrupt; very challenging but always in great shape and never too crowded. Costco has a coupon if you're a member for $90 for 2 rounds which is a steal.

4. Woodmont - Semi-private Robert Trent Jones, Jr. design, in the $60-80 range (higher on weekend mornings). Fun layout, back nine is 3 par 5's and 3 par 3's I think and not too crowded.

5. Hampton Golf Village - decent layout, not too pricey but not as great a course as the others above.

It's obviously going to be more crowded and more costly to play a weekend AM tee time; if you can play twilight times you'll get more into your price range. Unfortunately the north side of metro Atlanta is more expensive golf than the other areas!

There may be some more semi-private courses others can chime in on such as Windemere, The Manor as I am not sure how much they allow daily fee.

• Admin
Thanks! We are looking to play on friday morning so as to hopefully avoid the weekend crowd and get slightly cheaper rates...

I will say let GolfNow be your friend for this area. I would recommend the following:

Crystal Falls
Chestatee
St Marlo
Bears Best
Hampton

There is nothing wrong with the courses listed above these are just some of my favorites and all except for Bears Best can usually be played for under $50 on GolfNow

• Admin
I will say let GolfNow be your friend for this area. I would recommend the following:

Crystal Falls
Chestatee
St Marlo
Bears Best
Hampton

There is nothing wrong with the courses listed above these are just some of my favorites and all except for Bears Best can usually be played for under $50 on GolfNow

Great! I don't know why I didn't think of that already. LOL at least I'll have an idea of some to look at.

Thank you!

Trophy Club is also near there and is a good course.

Great! I don't know why I didn't think of that already. LOL at least I'll have an idea of some to look at.

Thank you!

GolfNow will help you not only seek out some deals, but read the latest reviews and get a sense on course conditions. Usually most courses aerate their greens by then but never hurts to check. St. Marlo is solid, I forgot about that one Flog.

Just wanted to say thanks again guys, my brother in law gave me a few choices to choose from and Hampton was one of the ones you both suggested so I picked that one. I'll let you know what I thought after this weekend.

Just wanted to say thanks again guys, my brother in law gave me a few choices to choose from and Hampton was one of the ones you both suggested so I picked that one. I'll let you know what I thought after this weekend.

Was up there a few weeks ago and they had aerated the greens. You might want to check before you play to make sure they are ok to play on

Thanks again guys. Played Hampton Golf village this morning. A few greens were a little rough but no aeration. Great course for the money I thought. Played just awful on the front nine and after a beer or 2 on the turn really really good on the back. Would definitely recommend or play again.

Playing sugar hills tomorrow....ever played it?

Back