Recommend a Wedge for Me?

Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm in the market for new wedges. Although I find the ATVs pretty good, there are things that bother me enough to want to look another way. Also, I am going down to two wedges because I hardly ever use the 56. I'm asking for recommendations because I can only demo clubs on mats here. I really don't have a chance to demo your typical short game shots (chips, bunker, rough, etc.).

Being a "feel" player, whatever that means, I like to get creative with my wedge shots. Here's what I [think] I need:

1. A gap wedge that excels on full shots, 3/4 shots, and chips/pitches. I use a gap wedge more than any other club in the bag and so it must be versatile. If I felt more consistent on full shots with the ATV, I don't think I would change it.

2. A 56 or 58 degree that is awesome out of bunkers and rough. I rarely swing my lob wedge fully. That being said, I do play a variety of types of shots when I do use a lob wedge and need a versatile wedge/grind to allow me to do so.

Lastly, I'm not a brand-ho and don't require the newest clubs. I typically buy used if possible.

Edit: I have owned J40s (pretty good, need more bounce in NW); x-forged MD (good); scratch 8620 (ok); older vokey (ok, a bit clicky); adams puglielli (good, not enough spin)

Last edited:
There are some cheap Dynacraft CNC milled wedges that are solid performers on hireko. Only come in 52-56-60 though. Do you prefer rounded or straight leading edge? Also, are you looking for forged or cast?

Can't go wrong with Vokey, Cleveland, Callaway, or Ping. Used, I bet you can find what you need.
I would think seriously about Hopkins, then you can get exactly what you want, as well as grinds for your area.

Look at Scratch wedges, plenty of grind options, forged wedges. I still regret getting rid of my 1018 wedges.

Can't go wrong with Vokey, Cleveland, Callaway, or Ping. Used, I bet you can find what you need.
I would think seriously about Hopkins, then you can get exactly what you want, as well as grinds for your area.

i agree with spivey. we have a million of those used in great shape and you can send them back if you dont like them. just have to eat a bunch of shipping.

if you are going to use the 58 or 60 out of the sand you will need to find one with a lot of bounce. probably easier on a 58.

Recently upgraded my wedges and did a thorough research. I chose the Cleveland 588 CB wedges based upon recommendations on THP and "feel" at golf stores.

I could not be happier. somewhat forgiving and the ball just bounces off the club face. I love them very much.

Really like my Hopkins wedges.

I have always like the feel off of cleveland wedges, the ball always felt like it exploded off of them. The CG15's were my favorite.

I have a SM4 Vokey and absolutely love this club and I can venture to guess that the SM5 is even better. Good luck with the choice and let us know what you go with

100% behind the Hopkins. They have a good heavy head feel on them, soft feel on contact, and even I can get them to pull back some. I do have the their stock shafts in mine and though of changing them but they are good for now. Solid wedges with a great no worrys return policy.

Cleveland's are awesome as are cobras and vokeys - in no particular order

Yea, since wedges are about feel for you, I think you are going to have to try them out. For me, the Vokey wedges have been awesome, and I feel like I have total control over them. I have a 52* with maybe 6 or 8 degrees of bounce. Then I have a 56* with 12 or 14 degrees of bounce, which pretty well doubles as a sandwedge for me.

I've hit cleveland wedges in the past, and it was purely subjective that I chose Vokey over the Clevelands. I was not a fan of the ATVs.

There will be lots of people here who love Hopkins wedges. I've never hit one, so I can't comment on them.

~Rock

Yea, since wedges are about feel for you, I think you are going to have to try them out. For me, the Vokey wedges have been awesome, and I feel like I have total control over them. I have a 52* with maybe 6 or 8 degrees of bounce. Then I have a 56* with 12 or 14 degrees of bounce, which pretty well doubles as a sandwedge for me.

I've hit cleveland wedges in the past, and it was purely subjective that I chose Vokey over the Clevelands. I was not a fan of the ATVs.

There will be lots of people here who love Hopkins wedges. I've never hit one, so I can't comment on them.

~Rock

What was it about the Vokeys that you liked more than the Clevelands?

I will swear by SCOR wedges. They are a little pricey, but worth every penny if you ask me. I have them in 53/56/59 configuration

I admit I'm fascinated with the 588 RTX. Just a beautiful club. Haven't hit it, though.

What was it about the Vokeys that you liked more than the Clevelands?
I just felt i had better control over the pitch shots. Or in other words, i had more feeling with pitch shots on the vokeys. Chips and full swings were about the same as the clevelands, but those partial/middle shots won out with the vokeys.

But feel is subjective.

~Rock

Cleveland 588 RTX either CB or Blade both have versatility with normal shots and open face. The new RTX are coming out next month with new bounce and grinds.

I'd wait and see what is coming this fall. Vokeys are good too.

I cannot believe no on has recommended the Mizuno wedges yet. I game the MP R12 and in my opinion it gives you exactly what you are looking for... Great feel and plenty versatile for me. I'll hit the 54* about 110, inside of the I adjust my swing to use this club. I do carry a high bounce 56* for the deep rough and sand, but everything else is the R12.

Anyone with experience with nike vr forged wedges??

MacDaddy TGrind are outstanding

Back