shaft weight question from a shaft weight ignorant person.

meanie

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently play Rocketbladez tours with KBS tour shafts in stiff flex. I just picked up a set of Cleveland 588TTs with the stock traction 85 shaft also in stiff flex. the shafts are too long and I want them to play to more of a standard length. the problem is that, having come from the KBSs, the shafts already feel pretty light to me. if I cut them down a half inch they only get lighter. I have some DG S300s hanging around that I could throw in them but having never reshafted irons(I've always just played the stock shafts) I have no idea what to expect or if this is even a good idea. is the 588 head made to play with a light shaft? will heavier shafts affect the performance of the head? will my swing weights go insane? will the overall weight of the clubs be too heavy? will they launch too damn low? will I ever stop asking questions??????

any input on this would be helpful as I am in the dark about this subject.

I currently play Rocketbladez tours with KBS tour shafts in stiff flex. I just picked up a set of Cleveland 588TTs with the stock traction 85 shaft also in stiff flex. the shafts are too long and I want them to play to more of a standard length. the problem is that, having come from the KBSs, the shafts already feel pretty light to me. if I cut them down a half inch they only get lighter. I have some DG S300s hanging around that I could throw in them but having never reshafted irons(I've always just played the stock shafts) I have no idea what to expect or if this is even a good idea. is the 588 head made to play with a light shaft? will heavier shafts affect the performance of the head? will my swing weights go insane? will the overall weight of the clubs be too heavy? will they launch too damn low? will I ever stop asking questions??????

any input on this would be helpful as I am in the dark about this subject.

Dude, no such thing as a bad question, this is how we learn!

I played heavy steel in the TT heads that I had with no issue, the key is keeping an eye on the swing weight and making sure you don't lose the feeling of the head. I can't recall the headweights of the TT's off the top of my head but I know the S300's are some hefty shafts so it could be interesting. As to the launch, the S300's are going to launch MUUUUUUUUUCH lower than the 85's in there now and honestly they are lower launching than the Tour's you played in the RBZ's.

Best thing I can tell you is if you switch the shaft in one of them, take it up to a shop and have them put it on their swing-weight scale, but you'll know pretty quickly if you can feel the head or not in the swing. Good thing about steel shafts are they're pretty easy to install and remove if you need to a couple times. I'll add though, be aware that the TT heads are .370, so if the S300's are .355 you'll need shims.

Thanks for the input. My S300s are the S300U so they are the 370 tip. I was going to pull the KBS tours from some pings i just sold but both of my local shops strongly advised against me shimming 355 tips in my TTs. They said it just is not a good plan. So i sold those and went with the S300s. Im worried they may launch pretty dang low in the TT heads. I just really dont like the lightness of the 85s. I do however like the feel of the TT heads A LOT! Just not sure where to go with them shaft wise.

Thanks for the input. My S300s are the S300U so they are the 370 tip. I was going to pull the KBS tours from some pings i just sold but both of my local shops strongly advised against me shimming 355 tips in my TTs. They said it just is not a good plan. So i sold those and went with the S300s. Im worried they may launch pretty dang low in the TT heads. I just really dont like the lightness of the 85s. I do however like the feel of the TT heads A LOT! Just not sure where to go with them shaft wise.

Only way to know is to try dude, you can always do one and switch them back if need be.

As for the shims, FWIW I've shimmed about 15 iron sets and countless fairways/drivers/hybrids over the years and never had a failure. It works great and with steel, its typically even safer.

Guess I'll try maybe the 6 iron and PW and hit them against my 7 iron and 9 iron and see what the results are.

Guess I'll try maybe the 6 iron and PW and hit them against my 7 iron and 9 iron and see what the results are.

If you do, be sure to report back and let us know what you're seeing. Always here to help in any way possible!

I will definately update what i find. It may not go well but we will see what happens.

Back