2014 PGA Championship Contest & Thread - Custom Cobra Driver

I absolutely loved the PGA this year. What an awesome event.

1. So many people in contention. It was a pleasure to see so many guys fighting for the trophy. Major credit to Rory for holding off all comers.

2. Valhalla is an awesome venue. I know there were a lot of people who were into Pinehurst ("Such brown! Wow, much environmental! So weeds!"). I just think Valhalla blew Pinehurst out of the water this year. Many memorable holes, and a great layout that gave players many choices. The weather contributed to low scores, but it is a shotmaker's course, which is very entertaining.

3. Omega watches are annoying.

1. So many people in contention. It was a pleasure to see so many guys fighting for the trophy. Major credit to Rory for holding off all comers.

2. Valhalla is an awesome venue. I know there were a lot of people who were into Pinehurst ("Such brown! Wow, much environmental! So weeds!"). I just think Valhalla blew Pinehurst out of the water this year. Many memorable holes, and a great layout that gave players many choices. The weather contributed to low scores, but it is a shotmaker's course, which is very entertaining.

Agree with everything. Wasn't blown away by Valhalla, but the risk-reward designs really came into their own on the final day.

Wonder how many other people picked Phil to win. He sure had my hopes up for a little while yesterday!

Matt Kuchar had my hopes up until about 8:35 Thursday morning when he withdrew :)

May be the only ad campagin that actually hurts sales. :alien: Seriously...if you're gonna buy that much air time, spring for a 2ed comercial. Or at least another song.

As much as golf aficionados might have preferred tougher, drier greens on the final day, forcing more players to show off their short games, I think the rain and softened greens helped make the final round more accessible to the average viewer. Watching the US Open with my wife and son involved a lot of explaining, including saying things like, "Well, 30 feet away from the pin is the only safe place to hit that approach shot, so he actually nailed it. Trust me, it's because of the shape of the greens and blah blah blah." On the other hand, receptive greens and decent pin placements made great approach shots obvious on their face. They're stuck close & pin high. Shot makers got chances to make shots, which I like. Valhalla is a beautiful course, and I'm not really sure what the fuss was against it. Yesterday the course was the backdrop against which the plays duked it out, a lovely change of pace from a series of competitors trying their best not to get mauled by the layout, or that one guy who's dialed in and everyone fighting for second place.

Much like the brutal setups of the US Open, I like that those courses and setups exist...but I'm glad it's not every week.

What an awesome tournament from a TV viewers perspective. That Sunday round had me on the edge of my seat, fist pumping and yelling YES!!! or DANGIT!!! all afternoon. I was so so happy when I got home from playing to see that a rain delay had kept it from starting on time and allowed me to see the whole thing. Some amazing shots hit, some great recoveries from trouble, and it was still anybodys to win very very late.

The only thing that could have made it better is if Rickie could have made a couple more birdies on the back 9 and won the thing or if Phil could have completed the come from behind win. But I have to say Rory has icewater running through his veins and absolutely deserved to win it.

I read earlier on here that viewership was down a huge percentage from last year. That sucks because if more people would have seen that final round more people would be tuned in to the rest of the season. The flip side of that is that I would love to say I feel sorry for all the people who didn't watch because Tiger was out of it, but I don't. They missed a heckuva battle and an amazing display of why these guys are pros and they deserve to have missed it if they think Tigerless golf isn't worth watching.

EDIT**** Read another thread by mistake that was saying viewership was down 28% at the British Open this year

Last edited:
Wasn't trying to correct you. Believe it or not I was coming in to post that before I even saw your comments. :)

What an awesome tournament from a TV viewers perspective. That Sunday round had me on the edge of my seat, fist pumping and yelling YES!!! or DANGIT!!! all afternoon. I was so so happy when I got home from playing to see that a rain delay had kept it from starting on time and allowed me to see the whole thing. Some amazing shots hit, some great recoveries from trouble, and it was still anybodys to win very very late.

The only thing that could have made it better is if Rickie could have made a couple more birdies on the back 9 and won the thing or if Phil could have completed the come from behind win. But I have to say Rory has icewater running through his veins and absolutely deserved to win it.

I read earlier on here that viewership was down a huge percentage from last year. That sucks because if more people would have seen that final round more people would be tuned in to the rest of the season. The flip side of that is that I would love to say I feel sorry for all the people who didn't watch because Tiger was out of it, but I don't. They missed a heckuva battle and an amazing display of why these guys are pros and they deserve to have missed it if they think Tigerless golf isn't worth watching.

EDIT**** Read another thread by mistake that was saying viewership was down 28% at the British Open this year
HA..I let out a few cheers and groans as well, so much so that my Fiance came in the room to make sure I was ok..ha.

it really was riveting golf for all four hours. Even the mad scramble to finish before dark was "interesting" I do think it took away a bit of the flow and excitement of the last hole.

Matt Kuchar had my hopes up until about 8:35 Thursday morning when he withdrew :)

I know that was a bummer. I noticed early on Thursday that at least 2 or 3 people mentioned picking him when that news broke.

Nope, I went with a long shot and he missed the cut. :banghead:

Dang, you didn't pick Tiger did you? It would have been cool to see him make it.

I'm having the shakes. It's been 24 hours since seeing the Omega Commercial.

The PGA Championship had its highest ratings since 2009.....When W.E. Yang beat Tiger. Good to see for golf.

Dang, you didn't pick Tiger did you? It would have been cool to see him make it.

I did so that was fun. I figured plenty of people were picking Rory and Rickie so I'd take a flyer. Longshots are longshots for a reason I suppose! What a great tournament though.

I did pick Rory and this was my first PGA event to attend, Friday was my day, Rory's first shot that morning almost hit right in my feet. What an amazing experience to have and one that I will remember for many years. I got to watch the worlds greatest golfers close up and for all you out there who dislike Tiger so much, you should have been there to watch the largest fan mob of the week trying to get a glimpse of him and cheering him on. I felt like the trip was complete when actually spoke to me at the practice green, he changed the sport forever and I still think he can get back in shape to once again win a major. It was a great Championship tournament filled with many fantastic shots and young players who hope to succeed on that level someday soon.

See above...

Forgive my ignorance, but what am I looking for above? I don't see anything referencing the announcement of the winner.

Forgive my ignorance, but what am I looking for above? I don't see anything referencing the announcement of the winner.

Some of the THP staff team is in California for the week meeting with companies. May be a couple of weeks before we find out the winner.

Back