Adam0304

Formerly War_Mongering
Reaction score
Handicap
In flux.
When I was at the local shop someone commented on how nice my swing looked...I went outside to videotape it today, and when I replayed it I noticed my swing is a lot different. I was hoping you could break it down a bit and let me know where in it I should be looking to fix to get it back to a successful swing. Thanks in advance for anything you can contribute to me fixing this.

*2nd swing is the one to analyze, I went way over the top in the 3rd one! (or at least I think I did)

Last edited:
I believe I am taking my back swing entirely to far back causing me to leave the plane, causing the actual swing to be way above plane.

swing is fixed.

Let me know if you would like my 2 cents on the swing. I am happy to hear that you have it fixed. Let me know what you would like me to do.

Let me know if you would like my 2 cents on the swing. I am happy to hear that you have it fixed. Let me know what you would like me to do.

I don't know if I fixed it or just did a temporary fix. I decided to bot bring the back swing back so far so when I came down I was way closer to the proper plane than the video. I noticed I started the downswing with my shoulders and completely removed that...it seemed to work the majority of the day today, but I would always like to hear a more experience/better golfer's advice!

WM the big thing that jumped out at me watching the video was the arm and hand lift at the top of your backswing. You start out taking the club back with a fairly good 1 piece type of takeaway. Once the club gets about waist high you pick it up with the arms and hands and that is why the right elbow gets out away from your body. From there you start the downswing by turning your shoulders which forces you to go over the top at the start of the downswing and from here you have to cast or throw you club head out to get caught up and get back near the plane line.

I just thought I would get you a couple of things that I saw. Take them for what they are worth and if you think this is something that you would like to work on please let me know and I will do what I can to help.

WM the big thing that jumped out at me watching the video was the arm and hand lift at the top of your backswing. You start out taking the club back with a fairly good 1 piece type of takeaway. Once the club gets about waist high you pick it up with the arms and hands and that is why the right elbow gets out away from your body. From there you start the downswing by turning your shoulders which forces you to go over the top at the start of the downswing and from here you have to cast or throw you club head out to get caught up and get back near the plane line.

I just thought I would get you a couple of things that I saw. Take them for what they are worth and if you think this is something that you would like to work on please let me know and I will do what I can to help.

I would always like to try and improve my swing. My quick fix swing seems to result in a loss of distance, so any tips/techniques/drills would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all your help.

Work on starting the downswing with a drop of the hands or a drive down with the right shoulder. Your first move is to let the shoulders start turning and that is leading to the over the top move and cast which is eating up your distance. Check some of the threads for the baseball diamond drills. This drill will help you feel a more in to out swing and help you get some pop back into the ball.

I have been trying the baseball diamond drill and it doesn't seem to be helping. Now my backswing doesn't feel comfortable either. No matter what I do, I can't seem to stop lifting the club when it gets to my waist.

Also, it seems that I am swinging with all arms...I tried to practice starting with the hips but it seems that even when I do, I am still swinging with my arms.

Here is something you can do to get the big muscles working early in the swing. Place an impact bag (or a shoe box with a dozen balls in it) behind your club when you are in the setup position. Now in your takeaway I want you to feel the left arm left shoulder and left side push the bag/box straight back as you swing to the top. DON'T USE YOUR HANDS to move the bag/box. This will get you turning in the swing more. It should also help limit how much you use the arms in the swing.

Thanks for the input! Last round I hit 4 of 4 fairways with the driver, 1 of 1 with the 3 wood, and 1 of 1 with the hybrid...I was 0 of 3 with the irons, but they weren't far off!

Nice work. Keep at it and let me know how it goes.

Back