PING i25 Irons - Review Thread

When I played the wedges in Washington I thought they were fantastic given the ground conditions. On square shots they are longer, higher, and just as accurate as other wedges are but they are also forgiving. Down here in AZ a grind could help a lot but I still didn't have issues on full swings. Ping does offer the grinds on set wedges too which I think is great and should be marketed more since they would help people try the wedges that would end up helping them a lot.

When I played the wedges in Washington I thought they were fantastic given the ground conditions. On square shots they are longer, higher, and just as accurate as other wedges are but they are also forgiving. Down here in AZ a grind could help a lot but I still didn't have issues on full swings. Ping does offer the grinds on set wedges too which I think is great and should be marketed more since they would help people try the wedges that would end up helping them a lot.

That is a great piece of advice. I think I will be holding off on the i25 and hope to jump all over the next release. When I do, I want the grinds to be a part of my fitting discussion.

I play a lot of firm courses and being very steep, I think the bounce grind would be awesome. I sure would love to hear some feedback from folks that have used the grind options that Ping offers.

I've noticed with the i series that the finish is starting to peel away on a few irons. I have two friends that have/had the i20 and i25, and both have clubs where the finish has started the delaminate. Almost looks like the clubs were wrapped in foil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a great piece of advice. I think I will be holding off on the i25 and hope to jump all over the next release. When I do, I want the grinds to be a part of my fitting discussion.

I play a lot of firm courses and being very steep, I think the bounce grind would be awesome. I sure would love to hear some feedback from folks that have used the grind options that Ping offers.

I'm going to look into this as well. I've been planning for quite a while to add the SW to my set and was just going to order identical specs as the rest of my set. But now I'm thinking I'll get in touch with PING first to discuss grind options that might be beneficial for my playing conditions and intended use.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've noticed with the i series that the finish is starting to peel away on a few irons. I have two friends that have/had the i20 and i25, and both have clubs where the finish has started the delaminate. Almost looks like the clubs were wrapped in foil.

No problem with that here. We've heard of a few instances where that happened and PING took care of it from what I remember. Their customer service is top notch. I've been gaming mine since April and the only signs of wear are very light on the face where contact is consistently made. The soles still even look new every time I wash my irons.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Check out the i20 review thread. Believe James had some custom grinds on his set wedges.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...-i20-Irons-Review-Forum-Testing-Review-Thread

FWIW, I've been playing the i20 set wedges for a few months now and had little issue. The only place I've struggled is in super firm bunkers or hardpan where I need to hit a high shot. The set wedges have a little too much bounce for these I think. Otherwise as long as there's some grass, I've got a solid chance of hitting a serviceable shot. Pondering a return to a blade LW but I could live with the set SW the way it is with no issue whatsoever.

I haven't seen any issue with mine and I've had the i20s for some time... Like syndicate said, PING has addressed any issues that I've heard about.

all you long hitters getting to use full wedge shots into the green, i am so jealous, i can't even remember being able to take a full sw on any par 4 in the last 2 years, oh wait i remember now, it was for all the times i had to lay up and hit 3 into a par 4. makes sense now.

i totally get what you guys mean though, if you happen to use a lot full wedge shots into the greens, it would be easier and more forgiving to use a wedge like an i25 vs a traditional bladed vokey, but if you are like my self, and rely on half shots and delicate shots for wedge play, i feel way more comfortable with less bounce, smaller sole.

I ordered custom grind on my wedges. Ping is great about giving you what you ask for.

My 2 cents worth on these irons after almost 2 weeks and 6 rounds is as follows:

$MONEY$

Ping does offer the grinds on set wedges too which I think is great and should be marketed more since they would help people try the wedges that would end up helping them a lot.

Did not know this. These irons are at the top of my list to find one day for a great deal.

all you long hitters getting to use full wedge shots into the green, i am so jealous, i can't even remember being able to take a full sw on any par 4 in the last 2 years, oh wait i remember now, it was for all the times i had to lay up and hit 3 into a par 4. makes sense now.

i totally get what you guys mean though, if you happen to use a lot full wedge shots into the greens, it would be easier and more forgiving to use a wedge like an i25 vs a traditional bladed vokey, but if you are like my self, and rely on half shots and delicate shots for wedge play, i feel way more comfortable with less bounce, smaller sole.

Haha. Fair enough. Generally my full wedges come on short par 4s and layup distances on par 5s.

Pictures as promised, these are the 6i & 9i but its the same on the 5&7. Theyve been looked at and they agree its not from club impact in the bag (i also use covers when not on the course) and its not from ground impact either.

Gotta say though Ping's customer service is top notch, left them with my club pro on Sunday and these arrived on Wednesday.

Now thats quick :clapp:

Mine are the same!!! I guess I thought it was something I did, like I was rough on them or something. I've worked on them to try and smooth it out, but still looks terrible. Guess I should contact Ping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just got fit for a set of i25's on Friday...can't wait for them to arrive!!! I'm getting 4i-pw, gw, sw with CFS stiff.

Before I left for #TheGauntlet I had to make a choice which clubs to bring. I play both the PING S55's and i25's in the same spec accept my S55's have Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100's instead of CFS-X flex. Since it was a pressure packed event I put the i25's in the bag for the touch of extra forgiveness they give. It's an easy switch for me as the S55's and i25's are really close in play style. The S55's go about 3 yards further for me with a slightly lower trajectory. In the end it was the right choice as I had ZERO miss hits all weekend. Even used the 3&4 iron off the tee quit a bit (lot of 370 yard par 4's).

My favorite shot of the week with the PING i25's at #TheGauntlet was my last of the first round. I hit a conservative drive on the a Par 5 18th green on Hills Course to just get it in the fairway. My intention was to lay up but when I got to the ball I had a good angle into the green leaving me 215 to center and 235 to a tucked back left pin behind a mound. I pulled the i25 3 iron out and ripped a nice high draw shaping towards the back pin but I couldn't see it land as the green was behind the mound. When I got up to the green the shot ended up 10 feet past the hole next to it's pitch mark. I was all excited for a nice 18th hole eagle but ended up burning the edge on the putt for a tap in birdie. Felt good though as I finished birdie, birdie, birdie on the back 9 for a Shamble score of -2 under par.

the jury is still out for me on these sticks. i'm going to get fitted for shafts to see if that helps any. for now, i just feel like i'm 5-10 yards shorter than i should be. i also feel like i don't know what trajectory i'm going to get, and like i hit more thin shots than normal. my understanding is that these have more bounce than you're average non-gi iron. i'm a sweeper, so i'm wondering if the bounce configuration is hurting me.

the jury is still out for me on these sticks. i'm going to get fitted for shafts to see if that helps any. for now, i just feel like i'm 5-10 yards shorter than i should be. i also feel like i don't know what trajectory i'm going to get, and like i hit more thin shots than normal. my understanding is that these have more bounce than you're average non-gi iron. i'm a sweeper, so i'm wondering if the bounce configuration is hurting me.

I'm a sweeper as well and have good interaction with the ball on the i25's. Compared to my Mizuno blades they feel similar. The S55's tend to dig more than the i25's. I think you may just be having a shaft issue. How did you end up in SteelFiber S and not R out of curiosity. I normally play X flex but play S in SteelFiber as they play stiff for me.

Before I left for #TheGauntlet I had to make a choice which clubs to bring. I play both the PING S55's and i25's in the same spec accept my S55's have Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100's instead of CFS-X flex. Since it was a pressure packed event I put the i25's in the bag for the touch of extra forgiveness they give. It's an easy switch for me as the S55's and i25's are really close in play style. The S55's go about 3 yards further for me with a slightly lower trajectory. In the end it was the right choice as I had ZERO miss hits all weekend. Even used the 3&4 iron off the tee quit a bit (lot of 370 yard par 4's).

My favorite shot of the week with the PING i25's at #TheGauntlet was my last of the first round. I hit a conservative drive on the a Par 5 18th green on Hills Course to just get it in the fairway. My intention was to lay up but when I got to the ball I had a good angle into the green leaving me 215 to center and 235 to a tucked back left pin behind a mound. I pulled the i25 3 iron out and ripped a nice high draw shaping towards the back pin but I couldn't see it land as the green was behind the mound. When I got up to the green the shot ended up 10 feet past the hole next to it's pitch mark. I was all excited for a nice 18th hole eagle but ended up burning the edge on the putt for a tap in birdie. Felt good though as I finished birdie, birdie, birdie on the back 9 for a Shamble score of -2 under par.

Good post...thanks for the story. I can't wait for my i25's to get here!!!

I'm a sweeper as well and have good interaction with the ball on the i25's. Compared to my Mizuno blades they feel similar. The S55's tend to dig more than the i25's. I think you may just be having a shaft issue. How did you end up in SteelFiber S and not R out of curiosity. I normally play X flex but play S in SteelFiber as they play stiff for me.

you are wise. this is my biggest concern about my setup. ss with a driver tops out at 95mph. i went to a ping demo day at a local country club. i didn't have an appointment and i'm not a member of the club, but i take lessons with the head pro. i had to ask to hit different clubs and different shafts. the fitter gal didn't do anything to measure lie or length or grip size. i hit the i110 in s flex against the cfs in s flex, and preferred the feel and ball flight of the i110. but it's always nagged me that guys like kuchar, snedeker and couples play the i95 in s, and i definitely don't swing as aggressively as those guys. i'm going to do an iron and driver shaft fitting later this month, so hopefully i can sort this out!

Mine are the same!!! I guess I thought it was something I did, like I was rough on them or something. I've worked on them to try and smooth it out, but still looks terrible. Guess I should contact Ping.

Contacted customer service and sent them back today. The rep told me he had a pretty good idea what was wrong, as they've seen quite a few with the same issue.

Contacted customer service and sent them back today. The rep told me he had a pretty good idea what was wrong, as they've seen quite a few with the same issue.

Did he say what they thought was wrong, is it casting problems?

He didn't say what the problem was. I'm sure they'll make it right.

I also have found I hit these clubs about one club shorter. The lofts are the same as my last set. I went from a forged players cavity back with project x 6.5 to my i25 with CFS X. Not sure if its the perimeter weighting or the shaft. Im hitting them so much better that Ive just decided to change my expectations. Im a digger so I love the extra bounce

Update: got a call from a very nice lady at Ping, they're replacing the 6,8 and PW and cleaning up the rest. WTG Ping!

I like hearing about all the customer service stuff. It is often overlooked but it can really make a difference with all of the equipment options out there. I'm going to do a final write up on the shafts soon (exam week) but I really was surprised by the shaft difference between the i25s and the g30s (I swear they are different lol)

Hi folks,

After a 14 months romance with Titleist AP2 712, which ends with the sound of broken plates :), I'm back on Ping irons. Just get fitted and ordered i25 with CFS Reg, +0.5 inch and yellow dot. Prior to Titleist, I've played s58 for 5 years and I was really happy. The wrong move with the AP2 was not the head but the shaft: KBS tour S was way to heavy and stiff for me as I'm getting old and losing some swing speed.

It sounds like with CFS Regular, compared to KBS Tour S, I regained some swing speed and it straightens my ball flight. Can't wait now to be delivered.

Back