iPhone 6 triggers surge of Samsung trade-ins

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Obviously we will know more over the coming weeks and months but I'm a bit surprised that an initial survey from RBC Capital show 26% of all iPhone users are new to the Apple ecosystem. Gazelle is also reporting that Samsung phone trade-ins have tripled in the last week. Xiami and OnePlus are taking share in Asia and now the iPhone has entered the high end larger screen market where Samsung has had little real competition the past couple years. If these trends hold, Samsung is in for a very bad quarter. I didn't expect so many Samsung users to switch.

iPhone 6 triggers surge of Samsung trade-ins

Buster Hein (1:32 pm PDT, Sep 18th)

Tim Cook prophesied that the [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]iPhone[/FONT] 6 would trigger and avalanche of upgrades, but what he may not have expected was the unfathomable amount of [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]Android [/FONT][FONT=inherit !important]users[/FONT][/FONT] who are trading in their Samsung phones to get a grip on Apple’s large screen beauty.[/FONT]
Samsung phone trade-ins have tripled in the last week alone on Gazelle, reports Bloomberg, and the stream of used Galaxies isn’t expected to slow down anytime soon, as nearly a third of Android users say they’re ready to switch allegiances.

Samsung’s grip on the global [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]smartphone [FONT=inherit !important]market[/FONT][/FONT] has been slipping in 2014 thanks to lower than expected sales for the Galaxy S5, and newcomers Xiami and OnePlus offering strong challenges in Asia. Now that Apple’s introducing big and bigger screens on the iPhone 6, the Android giant is facing an absolute nightmare.[/FONT]
Over 25% of all iPhone 6 buyers are new to [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]the [FONT=inherit !important]Apple[/FONT][/FONT] ecosystem, says analyst firm RBC. The iPhone 6’s bigger display was cited by 39% of Android users as the number one reason they want to upgrade to the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, and Gazelle’s CEO Chris Sullivan doesn’t see that trend changing soon.[/FONT]
“We’re seeing a higher propensity to switch,” Sullivan said. “The combination of the [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]screen [/FONT][FONT=inherit !important]size[/FONT][/FONT] and the functionality” indicates that this is going to be a strong and compelling product for Android users to switch.”
The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus hit stores on September 19th and massive lines have already begun to form at Apple Stores across the world. Pre-order shipping times have already slipped past 3-4 weeks on the 6 Plus and 7-10 days on the iPhone 6, so if you’re wanting to make the switch from Android this weekend, you better go get in line.

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/296660/iphone-6-triggers-surge-android-trade-ins/#wl78dG48irPI1RVV.99

Last edited:
It's pretty funny to see people trading in old Samsung phones so that they can get an Apple phone that finally has the features their old Samsung phones had for years.

Funny, you couldn't get me to trade Samsung for Apple even if you paid me.

...Well, yeah, if you paid me enough I'd do it. :alien: But you get the point.

Hahaha had to know that this sort of story was going to come out, it was inevitable.

IPhone 6 is an awesome rebranded* Nexus 4 from 2012. Look it up.

* I say rebranded because the features and specs are identical. I know that App!e had to redesign the outside..hehe

Android has nothing to worry about. They own over 80% of the marketshare. This is simple math. In order to sell new devices, the way contracts work, you need people to switch otherwise there is no reason to upgrade (in masses) (and considering most Apple systems use the same iOS). With 80-85% of the global market share, of course a small amount are going to try new devices when their contract is up.

Its no different than Windows and Mac...And we see how that part has gone over the years.

But who cares? Someone has a phone they like and others have a phone they like. No wonder people chuckle at certain users so much. Its nauseating.

Look, an Android vs iOS circle jerk.

Who cares. We live in an era where you have a computer in your pocket. Both Apple and Google make amazing products.

must be the new retro-fad.
everyone wants this new phone that has specs from 2012

and there must be something about that 8MP camera that people really love. #blurrypics #mikedeanpictures

i've got to hand it to Apple's marketing team though...

they could sell a poop flavored Popsicle

I can upgrade to an iPhone 6 or Samsung S5 free through work...but choose not to. Neither are more attractive to me than my Lumia Windows Phone :)

Honest question as I don't remember the numbers. How many Apple devices were traded in over the last couple years for Samsung? I can guarantee Apple is only getting a fraction of those back.

Samsung kills Apple in almost every category that pertains to market share

I bet the employees and shareholders of Samsung care a lot. Everything is moving towards mobile, and iOS continues to have the majority of mobile traffic. http://www.cnet.com/news/ios-continues-to-top-android-in-mobile-web-traffic/

I have no dog in the fight as I've owned both iPhone and Galaxy phones. But these articles just seem funny to me. One article says the research is done and it's X, then says another research is done and it's Y, not X. Really I guess who cares. From a buyer prospective I'm glad to see Apple bring out the big screens and a device that gets me pondering a switch. I want to see these companies duke it out and produce great products that will only benefit me the buyer.

Mobile web traffic just means the browser connected to the web. Devices sold is what pays the bills.

In 1Q 2014, Samsung shipped 281.5 millions units.

Apples was a distant second at 43.7 millions units.

I wish I had the number in front of me but I remember reading an article that Chrome is the most used browser on mobile devices. Maybe I misunderstood the article or am just up in the night...

I have no dog in the fight as I've owned both iPhone and Galaxy phones. But these articles just seem funny to me. One article says the research is done and it's X, then says another research is done and it's Y, not X. Really I guess who cares. From a buyer prospective I'm glad to see Apple bring out the big screens and a device that gets me pondering a switch. I want to see these companies duke it out and produce great products that will only benefit me the buyer.

I tire of your reasoning and rationalization. My device is better and everyone must know it.

Mobile web traffic just means the browser connected to the web. Devices sold is what pays the bills.

Ding Ding Ding.
As mentioned above. Android has nearing 85% of the market on mobile devices. I mean EIGHTY FIVE percent. Any other system that sells devices is going to have to pull from that number. There is no other way around it. Its like saying that every time someone switches to a Mac, they are coming from a PC. Of course they are...Nobody is using anything else. This sums up what the market is right now.

PeriodAndroidiOSWindows PhoneBlackBerry OSOthers
Q2 201484.7%11.7%2.5%0.5%0.7%
Q2 201379.6%13.0%3.4%2.8%1.2%
Q2 201269.3%16.6%3.1%4.9%6.1%
Q2 201136.1%18.3%1.2%13.6%30.8%

I wish I had the number in front of me but I remember reading an article that Chrome is the most used browser on mobile devices. Maybe I misunderstood the article or am just up in the night...

When you say iOS vs Android you have to factor in iPad/Tablet sales as well and Apple destroys everyone in tablet sales.

Also, to everyone throwing out the "iPhone 6 is a Nexus 4" comments. Apple is always late to the party, but Apple has never been shy about holding off on something until they do it right.

Look at ApplePay, it is lightyears ahead of any NFC based payment solution ever included in a smartphone. Every Android vendor is scrambling to add hardware based encryption to their next flagship device.

Also, to everyone throwing out the "iPhone 6 is a Nexus 4" comments. Apple is always late to the party, but Apple has never been shy about holding off on something until they do it right.

Look at ApplePay, it is lightyears ahead of any NFC based payment solution ever included in a smartphone. Every Android vendor is scrambling to add hardware based encryption to their next flagship device.

They were working for a while to get a screen someone could see size wise right?
I kid I kid...

Ding Ding Ding.
As mentioned above. Android has nearing 85% of the market on mobile devices. I mean EIGHTY FIVE percent. Any other system that sells devices is going to have to pull from that number. There is no other way around it. Its like saying that every time someone switches to a Mac, they are coming from a PC. Of course they are...Nobody is using anything else. This sums up what the market is right now.

PeriodAndroidiOSWindows PhoneBlackBerry OSOthers
Q2 201484.7%11.7%2.5%0.5%0.7%
Q2 201379.6%13.0%3.4%2.8%1.2%
Q2 201269.3%16.6%3.1%4.9%6.1%
Q2 201136.1%18.3%1.2%13.6%30.8%

What's the source of this data? I'm seeing some wildly different data on some other sites.

edit sorry...shoudl have read up...this is in units solds, not usage or revenue.

What's the source of this data? I'm seeing some wildly different data on some other sites.

Yeah me too, but I think that is worldwide, US numbers will look different. The chart I saw was us showing iOS 48% and Android 46%.

A few months ago from BGR

cirp-blackberry-market-share.png

There are plenty of ways for numbers to be skewed to benefit whoever is trying to make their point.

Actually devices sold is not what pays the bills. Samsung's profits were down YOY last quarter while Apple's was up. Samsung sells twice the smartphones as Apple but makes half the profit.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...x-more-phones-than-apple-earned-half-as-much-

While Apple and Samsung are the only phone companies making any money, Apple dominates with 62% of the total mobile phone industry profits to Samsungs 26%.

http://bgr.com/2014/03/18/apple-samsung-smartphone-profits-3/

Back