Run It Or Fly It?

I was a "fly it" guy until about a month ago when I got the yips, and started running it out of desperation. Much easier to get it close IMO, and less stressful. I'm very much still learning the bump and run game, but I love the consistency of it. I am learning, though, that if there is a slight ridge in front of the green it can be pretty tough to gauge how much it will cause the ball to check if you hit it, so I need to get a little more aggressive with taking a 9i and flying those ridges.

Running it up there is the way to go for me. Generally have better luck that way.

Usually with an 8 or 9 iron depending upon how much distance/fringe there is....

I like to fly it, but lately, its been running :(

My usual shot around the green is to run it to the hole. But like others it all depends on what lies in front of me. During my golfing career I have hit just about every club in the bag around the green except my driver.

My usual shot around the green is to run it to the hole. But like others it all depends on what lies in front of me. During my golfing career I have hit just about every club in the bag around the green except my driver.

ive actually hit driver... lolz... and it worked!

I starting running it a lot more last year and it has really taken a few strokes off of my rounds. I find that I'm a lot more precise running it than trying to fly it to the hole.

I've hit driver to punch out from under a spruce tree within 20 feet of the green. It got the job done.... out of the tree and on the green for a 2 putt. :clapp:

I've hit driver to punch out from under a spruce tree within 20 feet of the green. It got the job done.... out of the tree and on the green for a 2 putt. :clapp:

I'll go you one better in saying that a flanged putter makes a great "15th Club", as an opposite-handed club.

I had a situation once where I needed to pitch out from near a fence. I had no right-handed swing, but I did have a left-handed opportunity, so I used my putter. The flange basically creates a more or less 9-iron loft because of the angle between the leading (trailing?) edge and the topline and it was good enough for a 30-yard pitch that got me back into play.

Ya' gotta have a little "MacGyver" in you to play this game.

-JP

I'll go you one better in saying that a flanged putter makes a great "15th Club", as an opposite-handed club.

I had a situation once where I needed to pitch out from near a fence. I had no right-handed swing, but I did have a left-handed opportunity, so I used my putter. The flange basically creates a more or less 9-iron loft because of the angle between the leading (trailing?) edge and the topline and it was good enough for a 30-yard pitch that got me back into play.

Ya' gotta have a little "MacGyver" in you to play this game.

-JP

I know this has come up before, but I personally don't think there's any way of hitting that shot without double hitting it. It's virtually impossible to hit the top bit and the bottom bit at the exact same time, which is why I don't use that shot. I'd be very interested to see that one being done in a tour event and find out what the end decision would be. I don't like it though.

I know this has come up before, but I personally don't think there's any way of hitting that shot without double hitting it. It's virtually impossible to hit the top bit and the bottom bit at the exact same time, which is why I don't use that shot. I'd be very interested to see that one being done in a tour event and find out what the end decision would be. I don't like it though.

Possibly, but you'd need an audio engineer (or a good first-base umpire) and a high-speed camera to be able to tell if that actually happened or not. I've made that shot exactly one time in my entire life and it worked, I was happy and I'm sure as hell not going to be losing any sleep over it.

Besides, I figure that after forty years of "drops" and penalty strokes, I figure this game owes me.

-JP

Back