Ugh my new irons im not playing so great...do I go back to old reliable???

Anghellichalo

Reaction score
Handicap
So I got the new Titleist AP1 irons a few weeks ago and I have hit some good shots dont get me wrong. But I am just not having the results I was hoping for. My old set was the Wilson Deep Red distance irons with the fat shaft. They are from 2004 I believe and I decided to treat myself to some new irons. Anyways my dilemma is do I just keep hitting the Titleist and get through the break in or do I go back to the Wilson and accept that there easier to hit...?

Can you return them for something more forgiving?

Can you return them for something more forgiving?

I might be able to the receipt says first 30 days , must be in new or unused condition....

I dont know I like them still I just think I need to take a lesson and improve a bit maybe.

I have only played 3 rounds and one range session with them so I am most likely overreacting.

Just kinda want to put my old irons in the bag for my next round but I think Ill hang in there and improve

That could be the first issue. Perhaps a few more range sessions. But your older clubs are going to be more forgiving especially on the toe and heel. Did you hit these before buying them? What were the results like? Were they fitted for you and your swing?

Ya the clubs where fitted and I hit them with a "launch monitor" and the results where solid. I just have been hook pulling them a lot on the course. Honestly I think I just need a golf teacher to look at my swing and maybe help a few things. Starting to be a confidence issue I think also. I hit them really good sometimes I just dont have a lot of consistency with them yet. Maybe I just need to swing a bit more loose and let it fly. On the positive side I am hitting my driver better than I have ever hit it. My Callaway FT-IQ has been the best club I ever purchased.

I say stick with them. 3 rounds is not enough time to get used to a new club, unless it is the same style of club with the same shaft. I believe the biggest issue for you would be the change in shaft. It will take some adjustment and perhaps a little different timing in you swing that you have to adjust for. You could probably make some subtle changes to you stance and/or ball position and see what happens.

Although, lessons are always a good option for anyone.

Ya good call I am not sure what the common cause of a hook or pulling it to the left is but I will try and find out.

Re: Ugh my new irons im not playing so great...do I go back to old reliable???

Stick with them. It's prob just a confidence or swing issue. This is why I don't like to keep older equipment around....eliminates 'going back to the we'll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed maybe I will sell the old ones so i can forget about them

I remember the day I got my new pings I went straight to the range. I warmed up with an 8 iron, hit the first 2 balls perfect. At that point Jenn was happy she bought me a good set of irons that I liked. After ball 2 I started shanking everything. I went up and down the bag shanking every ball. It was the most miserable range session I have ever had. She ran to the car to get an iron from my previous set and I hit 10 balls in a row with no problems. Later that night she took that set and hid them on me so that I would not go back to them. everything worked out fine and i love my pings.

Back