How to go about getting used to a new set of stix...is there a better way!

podunker

Reaction score
Handicap
I am about a 7 and just pulled the trigger on a new set of Mizuno Mx300 irons. I have played the Callaway x-14 Pro's for about 4 or 5 years (however long they have been out.) I wanted to uprgrade and did a lot of research on the internet on new irons. I eventually chose the Mizuno MX300's. I have never hit a forged club before, so am a little scared that they may be too much for me. I got them in the mail yesterday, and they are sweet looking. I think my first impressions are that they are smaller and slightly heavier. It was raining outside, but I had some range balls laying around the house, so I went outside to hit some of those in the yard. I just couldn't wait. Now I wish I had waited because I was not happy with the result I got in the yard. I just spent 600 and now I'm already second guessing myself.
I'm sure it was just the rain, yard grass (weeds), etc. How should I go about getting used to these new clubs. Just start playing with them or go hit a bunch of shots at a range? How long should it take me to get them down? My standard ball flight is a slight draw, will that change with these clubs because of the less offset. I hardly ever miss right with My X14's, but pushed several right yesterday in the yard. They seem to fly very high also, of course I had no perspective, since I was hitting into a field. I just want to do the changeover the best way possible to give me every chance to be successful with them. I know it's way too early to panic...........but I would appreciate any advise on getting used to the new irons.

Make sure they are fit for your swing is the easiest way to make a transition. Another thing people suffer from when changing irons (I do it every 14 days it seems) is that if they are very different than what you are used to, many will struggle. Your new irons do have less offset and VERY different weighting. It will take some range time to get dialed in.

Thanks for the quick response JB. So you are suggesting for me to hit the range and just hit shots for a while before actually playing right. Is there a pattern at the range I should follow or a certain club I should start with? Or should I just start beating balls.

With new sets, I always start with a 6 iron. But outside of that, have fun with it. Enjoy it, and just try and get used to the feel and shot disperson you are now getting.

I'd be putting them to use on the course as much as possible. Range is fine for getting the basic feel of the clubs but you find out a lot more imo actually playing, strike a happy balance between the two and enjoying learning about your new irons, after all they are a fabulous set and I'm sure you'll have a ball playing them.

I suspect you'll notice that shots into the green will bite better with the 300s so you can be more agressive but that's what you'll have to discover. As for the ballflight; that's probably due to the shaft, what have you got now and what do the X14s have?

Be patient and don't panic, a 7 capper should have few worries with them and you are bound to need time to get used to them. Depends on how much you play but a good 6 - 8 weeks I would have thought, given the very different characterstics of the 2 sets.

I have stiff Rifle shafts in my X14's......these have the TT Dynalite stiff

MX-300s are pretty easy to hit well, so I wouldnt be worried about them being too much for you. Its not as if theyre MP-68s. I find that it takes about a month of regular use before you get used to a club change.

Well I went to the course yesterday afternoon and I feel A LOT BETTER! We don't have a range so I just went and found an isolated place and started hitting some balls. Once again I noticed that the trajectory of my shots were a little higher than my old clubs, but was happily suprised by the fact that I didn't lose any distance. At first I didn't like the fact the ball was going to high, but later saw how much it helped the balls stick the greens like darts, and liked it. Another thing I noticed was my shot dispersion was tighter. However, I was missing a few right, which I hardly ever did with my old clubs. On the other hand, I didn't hit any huge hooks like I could with my old clubs. You can tell these clubs are not as forgiving and that was expected. As for the feel, I guess it is all about what you are used too. I didn't notice any "buttery soft" feel on solid hits myself, it just felt good just like when I hit a solid shot with my old clubs. Almost like you didn't hit anything. However the bad contact shots felt worse with these. I then played several holes teeing off with the 4, 5, or 6 irons. Two other positives I did notice. I could hit a fade with these, which was almost impossible with my old irons. My punch shots with these seemed to be straighter, I tended to pull punch shots with my old clubs. Over all, I was very happy with the session. Moral of the story............do not take your new clubs out the the box and immediately go outside in the rain and hit them in your yard!

on another note......been a longtime lurker........fantastic site......plan on trying to be more of a contributor!

I got a new set a couple years ago and it took me several rounds and range sessions to get fully comfortable with them. The head was about the same, but the shaft was drastically different. It took some time to adjust my timing and swing just a bit to adjust to the new shaft. Once I figured that out, everything started falling into place.

I hit them at the range 2-3 times before I had a chance to play them on the course and I think that helped. At first my distance was down a little as I was getting used to them. After a few months of play it came back and I am back to where I was before. I got them in September of that year and I wasn't totally comfortable with them for a full year. Granted, I don't get to play that much and put them away in October for the winter. I would say it took about 12-15 rounds and several times at the range to get everything dialed in how I want it. I guess my point is, don't panic just yet. Give yourself some time to figure them out. After a month or two, you won't be able to remember how you hit your last set.

Hey StLCardsfan thanks for the reply, I'm a SW Mo. guy myself, I am looking forward to breaking these baby's in. You sound like me, put mine up in October also!

Interesting results you're having. The X-14 Pros have just a little offset, similar to what I see on the MX-300s, but the weighting is very different as JB said. The X-14 Pros have a little less weight in the toe whereas the MX-300s look like the toe and heel are similarly weighted. Also there's more weight in the hosel in the Mizunos. I get a pretty high ball flight from my X-14 Pros so I'd think it'll be really high with the MX-300s.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think forum member Biggsy also plays X-14 Pros, but IIRC he's upgrading to Cleveland BP7s.

Still liking the new irons. I actually hit a couple high fades over some trees with the 4 iron tonight. I could have never done that with my old clubs. Even though they go higher than my old clubs the wind does not seem to bother them any more than my old clubs. They are less forgiving no doubt in that though. Maybe it will make me a better ball striker. My misses are generally on the toe, they don't go to well when you miss them there.

Back