Looking for next level ball - Callaway Big Bertha Diablo ?

chuck_w

Reaction score
Handicap
high
Feeling that I am at a point in my game where I might benefit from playing something other that the cheapest balls available, or ones I have found in the rough on the course, I did some research online.

Several of the ball companies offer an online ball "fitting" based on a few survey questions. In my case, the results I were as follows
Bridgestone fit me to their e5
Titleist fit me to a Pro V1 (yeah, right)
Callaway fit me to the Big Bertha Diablo

I checked out the e5's and Diablos at WallyWorld, and found that the Callaways were about $6 less per dozen and made in the USA (the Bridgestones are made in Japan), so I bought the Callaways.

Any opinions good or bad about the Diablos ? What was your first "performance" ball ?

e6+ was my first 'better than cheap' ball but I've since gone to the softer B330-S and love the feeling around the greens and off the putter

Made in Japan is good, it is when it is made in China that you want to be careful.

I don't lose that many balls anymore, so I play the best of the best, but my first better than crap ball was the BStone e6+

Diablo is a nice ball. You could give also crush, E6 and burner a try.

I refuse to pay $45 for a dozen balls because I hit way too many into the woods. So I'm always looking for good balls at a reasonable price. Right now, TaylorMade is clearing out inventory on their TP balls, so that's what I'm using. They're going for $29 per dozen most places. When those run out, I'll probably go back to the bridgestone e5.

One of the most important things you can do is play the same ball all the time. It will make a huge difference in your short game because you'll know how the ball is going to perform around the green. You can't do that if you're changing balls all the time, or playing balls you find on the course.

I don't play the balls I find on the course. Instead, they go to the driving range, where I use them to verify yardages; I find it's a lot more accurate to get yardages off semi-new Top-Flites or Noodles than beat up range balls.

I've jumped on the same deal that you're on NFender. TP Blacks are going for 31.99 at my local Target, so I've been volunteering to do a lot of errands lately! I'd never tried the TM balls before, but the TP blacks may just be the best ball I've ever used (personally speaking). I'm hitting 'em long and straight and am getting as much check and pull as I ever have from a ProV1. I may have to buy up every last one in town. Still waiting for the Pentas to show up.

I do like the Diablos as a mid-tier ball.

check out the wilson tx4 pro. It was a $40 ball with a urethane cover. You can find them at tgw.com and other places online for about 14 a dozen. It was considered their tour ball until the new line came out.

How do you like the Diablo's around the green?

I've played the BB Diablo balls. They're a pretty good ball. When I went for a Bridgestone Ball Fitting, I hit the Diablo and the tech said it produced good numbers for me. He then had me hit the e7 - it produced similar numbers - a little less spin and 11 yards further. I hit a pretty high ball, so the e7 brought that down some and plays well for me.

I highly recommend the Bridgestone ball fitting - they're very cool and free!

Here are a few coming up in your area: http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/product/ball-fitting/schedule/us/east-coast

I picked up a box of the nike crush this weekend. Played 2 rounds with them. Overall I liked them but am not sure Im totally sold. I did find a callaway warbird plus that I played a few holes with. I think I will try them next.

I'm a fan of the Nike Crush: good distance, goes straight, feels good off the wedges and putter, and you can even put a bit of spin on it.

I haven't played the Diablos yet, but I did receive Golf Digest yesterday which has their "Hot List" of balls. The Diablo got a gold medal in the $20 and under catagory.

I like trying out different balls every few rounds. My personal choices in this category would be TM Burners, any Bridgestones (e5's for me), and I do like the Diablo though I haven't played them too much. I've been using noodles lately since they're cheap and I was losing a lot at the start of the season and didn't like losing my ProV1x's. Now that I've gotten my swing consistent I'll probably be playing Bridgestone's. They are great balls for a very reasonable price.

Back