Is it ok to drink at work?

I think in my state Smoking a little Marijuana at work will be the bigger question.

I'm a Project Manager at a technology company btw. I don't think it depends where you work.

back in the day if i wasn't billable and at a client, and stuck doing BS work at the office, we might go out for lunch and have a guinness or two. Hell, we even had partners buy us some a few afternoons. But really those days were just time killers and few and far between.

In addition. Kegs full of beers and tons of wine for the wine drinkers.

We also have sh*tty beer Friday's. Cans of Natty Ice, Keystone, Busch Light, etc.

I'm a Project Manager at a technology company btw. I don't think it depends where you work.

What's wrong with Busch Light, and where is the PBR in that list??

No, it doesn't particularly matter where you work. Drinking around heavy machinery, a bad idea. Drinking at a desk while pouring through bank statements to put together a summary of expenses....I don't know, that seems ok.

It's been mentioned a lot, and I'll reiterate, were talking light drinking to take the edge off. As someone mentioned, 2 drink max kind of deal. It was frowned upon to get sloshed at work 60 years ago just as it is today. I'm just talking the one to two drinks.

For what it's worth, I'm a lawyer, so that clears up the 'depends on your work environment' question.

AND the scotch was left over in a flask from our Iowa THP get together this past October, so it has that special added element.

~Rock

About a half dozen or so times a year. We will have an all hands meeting or some other sort of event that ends around 3pm. Beer and wine are usually provided by the company.

The CEO encourages everyone to have fun be responsible and not go back to their office afterward.

I wish, although most days i'd be partaking with the way things have been going lately at work. I'm sure my boss (we share an office) would partake also. She's a big fan of the vodka...

I drink once in a while at work. On occasion we will go out to lunch and have a few beers. Sometimes after safety meetings in the office there will be beer. It really depends on the project. By the way, I work for a construction management company.

NO! When your actions or that of a co-worker can mean death? Or what about operating a 36,000 lbs utility truck after a drink or two and your family gets run over from one little mistake , NO! We test monthly without notice on site for any use booze or drugs.

I think,it depends on job and environment. We never drank at work but periodically we would go for a drink at lunch or grab some food and a drink in between quitting time and a maintenance window on the network

Not for me but people complain about their mail enough without me having a drink or two.

This is going to be hard to believe, but I had a crazy experience about 3 years ago. I closed a business deal with this company. As we gathered in their conference room to sign the contract, the owner of the company pulled out a box of weed and started passing it around the table. I politely declined and sat there astonished as 3 of them, all over 60 years old, proceeded to turn their conference room into something out of a Cheech and Chong movie.

Where I currently work, NOOOO. See, I am a merchandiser for a beer distributor in norther Indiana. So along with my driving for nearly half my day, working with beer it's not such a good life choice.

However, we got a tour of our main warehouse for orientation. The owner has a couple taps in his office, so getting summoned to his office isn't always such a bad idea lol. I of course, have no idea what goes on in the day to day happenings of the main office/warehouse so I can't tell you what goes on for sure. However I know that our salesreps for local bars will have a tasting when the lines get cleaned or a new beer in introduced. The company actually holds us to a pretty high standard when it comes to drinking as well.

Not at my current two jobs, for some reason starting ivs and fighting fires and driving big trucks fast is frowned upon if you've been drinking.

Also at my trucking job no way my CDL isn't worth it or the loss of extra income besides the fact I have to deal with heavy equipment. Now I have had a beer with the boss in the shop at the end if the day.

When I worked in the cabinet shop it wasn't uncommon to have a couple when working late and putting together boxes or spraying finish.

Building Highrises means no booze at all. Just too many safety concerns to even entertain the idea.

I'll have the occasional beer or margarita at lunch during the week. I'll admit it loosens me up a little bit on those tense days and I'm every bit as productive as I would be had I not had a drink. I'm also the owner of my company so that plays a part in it, too. I don't have the "I can do whatever want attitude" at all. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't take advantage of the privilege.

So, all in all, I don't think having an occasional drink at work is a bad thing at all.

I work at Yelp and we have 3 kegorators with various delicious beers on one floor alone (dogfish head, rogue, delirium, magic hat, etc.) Granted you can't drink throw ghost the day but you can once your work is done.

So no. I do not see it as a problem drinking at work.

My grandpa was a gynecologist and I remember when I was little we would be at his pool and he would come home from the office for lunch and have a few drinks. I can remember some dinner parties and him leaving for a delivery or something and him having had several drinks. He was old school though. Graduated medical school in like 1950 or something.

In my workplace it is frowned upon, but people find their way around it. It is a great idea as we drive forklifts and are lifting heavy equipment and setting electrical devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was is Santa? I see your from the North Pole. That explains his weight, staying up all night and trying to get reindeer to fly.
This is going to be hard to believe, but I had a crazy experience about 3 years ago. I closed a business deal with this company. As we gathered in their conference room to sign the contract, the owner of the company pulled out a box of weed and started passing it around the table. I politely declined and sat there astonished as 3 of them, all over 60 years old, proceeded to turn their conference room into something out of a Cheech and Chong movie.

I work with movies and commercials...alcohol during a shoot...not so much, anytime outside of a shooting, yes. Creative work is a 24/7 work mentally and a lot of meetings / brainstorming takes place at odd hours, and often a beer or two is involved. During a shoot, is an exception though...if it is a longer production it is customary that after every 100 shots a shot of whiskey or cognac is raised. Usually on Fridays there a wrap beer that technically is during work, since there's wrapping up to do.

Depends on the job.

I have a job in which I have the responsibility over a lot of money. I don't really drink anyway, but if I did, I highly doubt if it would be a smart thing to do. If I make a mistake, it could literally cost millions, and being impaired in any way could increase the chance of me making mistakes. I know our CEO has meetings that involve bottles of strong liquor, but he’s old school, and I think it works a bit differently on that level.

I worked at clubs and bars when I was younger, and you were allowed to drink as long as you did your job properly. So it all comes down to the job.

I think it depends on the job. I work in a manufacturing facility that makes aircrafts. I wouldn't want someone drinking on the job, when there's potentially lives at stake. I believe there are laws against it where I work anyway. Plus, if you buy your employees alcohol, you'd be liable for any injuries that may occur.

I'm pretty sure there is a law. I did a lot of trips to repair ac's broken down somewhere and rarely a drop was tasted before wheels up.

Last edited:
Not during work. Don't think that would fly in the office.

Back