Question about swing

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
I am sure this is a very dumb question, but here it goes. I have always had a very flat swing. In an effort to improve my accuracy and distance, I have been told that I need to raise my arms higher then drop them, then swing. Even though I know they are right, that raising then lowering of the arms has always "felt" inefficient to me. Basically, for some strange reason when I look at a one plane swing, it always make more sense to me. Has anyone felt this?

I am sure this is a very dumb question, but here it goes. I have always had a very flat swing. In an effort to improve my accuracy and distance, I have been told that I need to raise my arms higher then drop them, then swing. Even though I know they are right, that raising then lowering of the arms has always "felt" inefficient to me. Basically, for some strange reason when I look at a one plane swing, it always make more sense to me. Has anyone felt this?

I've recently moved to a single plane swing, simply because it produces many more what I consider natural backstops. When my hands are level with my shoulders and my right elbow is tucked, I can only turn my shoulders so far, so I know more accurately where my back swing ends. Consistency is accuracy, so it's a matter of asking yourself what is the most repeatable swing. Repeatable + powerful = distance. Personally, I don't think having to reslot the club on the downswing to get on plane is something that can be done consistently without a lot of range time, so it's a question of how much you'll have to commit to the swing to make that change repeatable.

As for whether a flat, single plane swing can be successful, have you seen Matt Kuchar swing? His hands are often below his shoulders at the top.

What has happened when you just swing the club? I mean when you are thinking about your plane or your hands or where your arms are. What type of ball do you see? What your ball flight, tempo? What is the feeling at impact?

Back