cjroman

Club Hoing Ain't Easy
Reaction score
Handicap
Feelings
Has anyone ever had the epoxy fail in their adjustable shaft adapter? I was hitting a used Cleveland XL Custom that I recently picked up from a reputable internet dealer and I thought at first the adapter broke. I had hit approximately 20 balls on the simulator and my instructor and I went outside to check ball flight. I hit about 15 balls outside, temp was 47 degrees and the adapter loosened after a shot, enough that when you take the head off, the adapter could be pulled off the shaft easily. The ferrule was still on the shaft. The light wasn't that good and it appeared the adapter sheared apart.
After looking at pictures of the part today online and looking at the shaft, adapter and ferrule, it looks like the epoxy may have failed, that's all. The Cleveland adapter is a two-piece part with a separate ferrule.
I have some shafting epoxy, I'm wondering if I should just clean it up and re-epoxy it? Has anyone ever had anything similar happen?

I did call Cleveland customer service and I could go to a dealer and get a RMA, send it in and they will evaluate it, of course when I called them I was thinking the adapter sheared apart and was broken...

Has anyone ever had the epoxy fail in their adjustable shaft adapter? I was hitting a used Cleveland XL Custom that I recently picked up from a reputable internet dealer and I thought at first the adapter broke. I had hit approximately 20 balls on the simulator and my instructor and I went outside to check ball flight. I hit about 15 balls outside, temp was 47 degrees and the adapter loosened after a shot, enough that when you take the head off, the adapter could be pulled off the shaft easily. The ferrule was still on the shaft. The light wasn't that good and it appeared the adapter sheared apart.
After looking at pictures of the part today online and looking at the shaft, adapter and ferrule, it looks like the epoxy may have failed, that's all. The Cleveland adapter is a two-piece part with a separate ferrule.
I have some shafting epoxy, I'm wondering if I should just clean it up and re-epoxy it? Has anyone ever had anything similar happen?

I did call Cleveland customer service and I could go to a dealer and get a RMA, send it in and they will evaluate it, of course when I called them I was thinking the adapter sheared apart and was broken...

I would send it back to Cleveland I think.

I would send it back to Cleveland I think.

I thought that was the best option when I thought the adapter actually broke. It doesn't look broken and it is out of warranty and a secondhand sale...I just wouldn't want to send it in, have it gone for three weeks and then possibly have to pay to have something simple fixed that I could do myself. Anyone have experience with their customer service or club repair departments?

Not on an adapter but 3 of my 4 Callaway X Hot and X2 hot fairway woods have had the epoxy that holds the ferrule to the shaft fail.

Odds are that it was not the epoxy "failing" as much as it was a faulty installation.

Could be a variety of reasons for it, but I would think that if you clean everything up real well and reinstall, it will be fine.

Had a brand new Odyssey two ball putter have epoxy failure (faulty installation), I could turn the shaft easily. Simply re-epoxied it, all good

Who knows how many times that shaft has been pulled or installed. It may not have been factory install to begin with. But, this kind of thing does happen. The big manufacturers are pumping out a lot of clubs a day, and sometimes the pace can cause a club here and there to turn up like this. It's not a big deal and I would just send it back in and let them replace it for you. It is rare that this happens, but it does happen.

If its a manufacturer stock shaft and the manufacturer is willing to replace then I would go that route.
You mentioned you bought it used. The adapter could have been pulled once before and a reused. I hope thats not the case.
Regarding a re-shaft I have heard about some people using quick set epoxies or low shear strength mixes (designed for putter installations) and using those for irons/woods. Those formula epoxies just can't hold up to torque stress from swing and/or temperature change (i.e. leaving clubs in vehicle year round). Good luck.

I'm pretty sure it is a stock shaft (Black Tie) because it has the Cleveland hologram sticker in the same spot as on my other XL Custom with a JDL6 that was new in the wrapper. The serial number checked out when I registered it online.
I cleaned it up and installed it today with some shafting epoxy. Best I can do is give it a few swings in a couple of days and see what happens.

If the club fitter did not remove the (invisible) oxide from the surface of the adaptor, the epoxy may not stick to it. I had that with a self build driver. Just use some sanding paper inside the adaptor and the epoxy will not fail again.

Last edited:
Who knows how many times that shaft has been pulled or installed. It may not have been factory install to begin with. But, this kind of thing does happen. The big manufacturers are pumping out a lot of clubs a day, and sometimes the pace can cause a club here and there to turn up like this. It's not a big deal and I would just send it back in and let them replace it for you. It is rare that this happens, but it does happen.

mine came direct from Odyssey, not a local store. Still shaft could have been pulled by them..............

Back