Counterbalanced putters: DIY Odyssey vs. TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs

silversnakes

Reaction score
Handicap
I've always had a pretty shaky putting stroke. I'm more a SBST guy but the putter head always seemed to move too easily off of that line. I started reading up on fixes and started off by putting a SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip on my Odyssey.

6X3OLcm.jpg

It helped quiet my hands but the stroke wasn't completely stabilized. I next tried to back-weight the putter with a Tour Lock Pro counterweight to try and counterbalance the weight of the head.

lRiiax6.jpg

I could feel the effect of the weight in the grip, but the stock 35" shaft just seemed a bit short. This is where the Daddy Long Legs and the TMAG counterbalanced marketing machine came in. I ordered it at 38" so I would be able to choke down and really get a stable and effortless stroke going. The club felt great at impact, and really held it's line- but I didn't like the pistol grip. I ordered a SuperStroke Slim 17" Belly grip to replicate the feel I had with the Odyssey. Then I back weighted it to make up for the difference in grip weight (130g for the stock DLL, 80g for the SS). I think I found my gamer.

05sxvBr.jpg

What putter do you game? Any thoughts or criticisms on counterbalancing? It really seems to work and not be as big of a gimmick as I once thought.

Additionally- anyone want to buy the old Odyssey White Hot XG Hawk with SS grip?

Here is a great THP TV episode with Austie on counterbalancing.

I will be gaming a CB putter for the first time when I get down to MB for The Morgan Cup. Really looking forward to it.

Here is a great THP TV episode with Austie on counterbalancing.

Thanks JB! I think I've created my own monster with the increased counterweight in the DLL- I wonder how I'll know if it's TOO much weight though (my setup is about 40g heavier than the stock DLL grip).

I've tinkered making my own CB putters. At first I started with a belly putter with a 400g head, cut it down to 38in and added a 135g grip back on it. I liked it a lot but it was a little too heavy overall. My latest and greatest creation started with a regular putter with a 345g head. I lengthented it to 36in, added an 85g SS flatso grip and then added about 20g of lead tape to the sole of the putter. The result is a heavier putter but one that I still feel I can control on shorter putts with less effort.

I've tinkered making my own CB putters. At first I started with a belly putter with a 400g head, cut it down to 38in and added a 135g grip back on it. I liked it a lot but it was a little too heavy overall. My latest and greatest creation started with a regular putter with a 345g head. I lengthented it to 36in, added an 85g SS flatso grip and then added about 20g of lead tape to the sole of the putter. The result is a heavier putter but one that I still feel I can control on shorter putts with less effort.

Interesting- so you went for the lighter overall feel, but the ratio of head weight to grip weight actually increased from 3:1 (promoted as the ideal ratio) to 4:1. My current set-up is around 2.5:1. I wonder what the difference in feel would be with more weigh in the head- I can test my DLL without the butt weight but that would be a 5:1 set-up... hmmmm, decisions decisions!

I have thought about doing that to my DLL i am not really a fan of the grip as well

I recently took a Rife Barbados, put in a 100 gram counter balancer along with a Ping corded pistol grip. Talk about a smooth roll on the ball. The whole thing is mint too, so it just looks and feels fantastic. It's like this is the way it was meant to come from the factory.

Unfortunately, I'm having some stroke issues and my SBST is turning into a slight arc. I'm making more with my Seemore, so that's what is in the bag.

I have thought about doing that to my DLL i am not really a fan of the grip as well

I definitely recommend the SuperStroke 17" Belly grip- the difference in weight is about 45grams - so I'd recommend a 50g clevis pin or Tour Lock Pro weight. I have a 100g weight in mine now and it might be too heavy- not sure yet.

I took an old Cleveland belly putter and changed out the shaft and grip to counterbalance. I think if it hadn't been a plumbers neck I probably would have stuck with it, but it just didn't fit my stroke. I used an SS 3.0 and weight in the butt end. Felt wonderful, but I just couldn't hit it consistently.

Late to the party, but Im trying out with the Belly Putter 17" Grip, what I'm deciding on is how much weight to add to counterbalance. The DLL head is 395g and my CS #2 is only 343g. So maybe I won't need the 50g clevis pin or other weights?

I've been playing around with this over the weekend and I'm liking my modifications to my White Hot Pro #7. I added 55 grams inside the butt end of the shaft and added 18 grams to the head. I'll be modifying at least one more putter today as I have over 20 in my arsenal to play with.

Love my DLL. Putting has improved drastically with it

I recently added a 50 gram tourlock to my SS 3.0 to my putter and absolutely love it. It makes the takeaway so much smoother that making those4 footers became easy.

Iv got a Tm manta belly putter cut down to 36 with a 38g back weight and ss 3.0 it still feels a little light!

I'm thinking either a SS belly and same 38g weight or get the new ss xl with there back weight of 50g thoughts guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got an Odyssey MXM #7 and I love it. The SuperStroke grip is great but I'm super interested in trying the new counter balanced grip they've released. I'm thinking of getting my local pro to order one shortly.

I just got my ghost manta belly putter cut to 38 " and got the superstroke 2.0 XL with the 50g weight fitted, feels really good and will give it a go this weekend and see how it shapes up to my spider mallet counter balanced putter.

Back