Warming up before round

I hit a small bucket, chip a few and then head to the putting green which is where I need to spend the most time.

I can't putt on putting greens before the round. It seems like all the putting greens on the courses I play are such a different speed than the actual greens on the course. It will completely mess up my putting once I get on the course.

I never warm up before a round. My best holes are 1 through 6 or 7. My best swing is when I'm still not fully loose. I keep a controlled swing because the body isn't loose. Once I loosen up, the swing goes away and my shots become a little more erratic.

Also I'm out of shape and lack concentration. So my last few holes I always struggle, especially if it is a slow round. So if I hit the range first, man the day goes down quickly because of fatigue.

Let me preface this by stating that i have always known that warming up ia important. However, since I am in my mid 30s, I never paid much attention to it. Many times I have gone straight from my car to the tee box.

It has been a really cold winter in the north east so I haven't be able to go out and play. However, I have been swinging an hour a week in a simulator every week. And I can see all the swing numbers with it. One thing that really surprised me is the dramatic difference in the numbers once I warm up.
Each time I have arrived at the simulator my firat driver swing are in the low 90s and dispersión is all over the place. After 5-10mins my driver swing speed is in the low 100 an dispersión improves greatly. Same with my irons.

Do any of you have any 5 to 10min warm ups that you recommend prior to a round?

i am no personal trainer. i'm more jelly donut than quinoa. but the few times i got motivated enough to start working out, every trainer i've ever worked with or video series i've done has stressed the importance of getting your heart-rate up with light cardio prior to any physical activity. "don't stretch a cold muscle." i went to a clinic with annika sorenstam last year, and someone asked her this exact question, to which she responded that the best thing you can do is some light jogging or jumping jacks, not the typical grab a club and start bending over a bunch. basically, get the heart pumping and blood flowing, and you'll be ready to perform.

I used to be the guy that said "I don't need to hit balls to warm up, I'll only wind up wasting my good shots on the range"...well that all changed as now I try to hit at least 15-20 balls. Warming up or in my case loosening up is my new routine. I'm always in the fairway off the first tee.

Range, chip, and putt if I have time.
When I don't have time, I try to take some practice swings and stretch at the first tee. I'm also more likely to hit something other than driver for the first hole or two.

It's no wonder so many play poorly. No one believes in warming up or is unable to.

If you don't want to hit balls at least invest in a weighted swing donut. You can throw is on any club and get loose. But there is no substitute for hitting balls and rolling putts

+1

At my age (57) there is no way I can go straight to the tee and be loose. Last year, I went to the range and started right off hitting hard. I tore a muscle in my abdomen around 7-8 shots in which took 6 weeks to heal.

Now my warm up routine is about 10 balls with the 7-iron. Starting by hitting to about 100 yards and then lengthening out to 150-160. When I do that, I go down the ladder (4h, 3W, Driver) for about 5 balls each and then to 9i & wedges (3-4 balls each) focused on hitting to spots. Then off to chipping and putting.

In retrospect, when I was younger and would go straight to the tee. While I was flexible enough to get away with it, I was not hitting the ball as well or as accurately as could have if I had warmed up.

It's no wonder so many play poorly. No one believes in warming up or is unable to.

If you don't want to hit balls at least invest in a weighted swing donut. You can throw is on any club and get loose. But there is no substitute for hitting balls and rolling putts

Exactly, I want to leave my warm up swings on the practice tee and be ready to go off the first tee, and on the first green that first putt needs to be hit knowing I can sink it.

I have a stretching routine before I start too. Get the hips, back, and hamstrings stretched out before practice and before the first tee.

I saw something once that said for some people its better to swing a light club for control as opposed to weighted. Depending on how you swing the club. I think it was in a Golf Digest.

Back