2015 The King Is Coming - Featuring Callaway XR Drivers

Well in NC the weather broke last week and it's been awesome. Been working on all aspects of my game on the range and green and playing 9 holes after. Things are coming along nicely. I did have a set back yesterday. I broke my right foot 10 years ago and has 3 screws in place so it's not as flexible in that heel to toe transition. During one my workouts I landed wrong on my foot and it felt like a stress fracture. Ended up being a mid-foot sprain (thank GOD but still feels like I broke it lol).

I'll have to take it easy for a week or 2 but will be back at it. Putting in the mean time though :).
Love it. Weather is warming up, and I'll be sure to get out and put this through its paces and report back. Assuming as with all forum testings, you want these to remain in stock setup (shaft, grips, etc.) Until after the event?

I just saw this post today and I'm glad you asked. Is there a reply for this one yet? I use mid-size grips or build them up with tape so I'm glad someone asked. Does everything need to be kept stock?

Got to the range today and was able to hit the XR(9*) @10* and standard lie. I probably hit about 35 balls with it. For some reason it seems louder outside than it did in the simulator at Pga Superstore. Lots of folks were looking over....but that was okay because I was hitting some great draws carrying about 235 which is fine because they were range balls that only fly about 90%.... And of course being range balls....they've been hit many many times. My misses were high, long hard draws. I can't really say hooks because they didn't really do what I see as a hook in my head. The misses seemed to really perform in a positive manner compared to what I would have seen last year. The shaft does feel a tad long for me.... So I may need to choke up next time. I think that may help with contact as I was hitting it a tad closer to the heel. I'm going to try to give it another go tomorrow afternoon and actually make adjustments and swing some other things for comparisons and see what happens.

Living here in California, weather hasn't been much of a concern. I have been able to get out 1-2 times a week to play. Struggling a bit with the driver(can't wait for my XR to come in), but I love to get my practice in while playing. I am really trying to work on my course management. I tend to play a little quick and don't take the time to really plot what I want do on each particular shot. I am playing a two man event tomorrow, and I really going to try and use this as a chance to work on it.

Well I was able to get to the range again today and give this thing some more swings. I hit about 15-20 balls with it. Its really a nice club to stand over and look over. Nothing negative visually. Again I was hitting solid draws.... With my misses being pulled draws that still went a long way. I didn't really have many misses in terms of the clubface. I was around the center, and a tad towards the heel as I was yesterday. Flight and distance were good. I really think me and the XR are going to get along great once I have it in my hands.

Well I was able to get to the range again today and give this thing some more swings. I hit about 15-20 balls with it. Its really a nice club to stand over and look over. Nothing negative visually. Again I was hitting solid draws.... With my misses being pulled draws that still went a long way. I didn't really have many misses in terms of the clubface. I was around the center, and a tad towards the heel as I was yesterday. Flight and distance were good. I really think me and the XR are going to get along great once I have it in my hands.

I think the stock XR is already a better fit for you than your old driver. I also thought the XR was decent sounding; didn't seem overly loud at all (especially compared to my G30). You keep moving forward with the XR, like today, and Harry's team will be very happy.

It's amazing to think this event is a mere 7 weeks away. I've been working hard, but it feels like I've hardly done anything because it's all been indoors or physical training, and now that the weather is getting nicer the training is going to ramp up by a ton. Seeing ball flight is refreshing, and gives me a good sense of where I'm starting out the season, which I can say is much further along than where I started last season. Still much to work on, and it's going to be a busy 7 weeks, but I'll be rolling into sunny San Diego with a sharp game ready to battle.

It's amazing to think this event is a mere 7 weeks away. I've been working hard, but it feels like I've hardly done anything because it's all been indoors or physical training, and now that the weather is getting nicer the training is going to ramp up by a ton. Seeing ball flight is refreshing, and gives me a good sense of where I'm starting out the season, which I can say is much further along than where I started last season. Still much to work on, and it's going to be a busy 7 weeks, but I'll be rolling into sunny San Diego with a sharp game ready to battle.
Keep at it sir!! We're going to start the season off with a great #TheKing victory!! And who knows what will come after that! I know we're all #GrandaddyHopefuls

Short game and more short game. Been going to the range a couple times a week working with my tee shots but most of my time is in the backyard practicing some short pitch shots. As we get closer I will be going to the range more and more.

Short game and more short game. Been going to the range a couple times a week working with my tee shots but most of my time is in the backyard practicing some short pitch shots. As we get closer I will be going to the range more and more.

I need to work more on my short game. Been going to the range 1-2 times a week while also trying to play 18 once a week.

So here's a question for whoever can answer. Are we REQUIRED to game the XR driver during competition? Are we allowed to install a different shaft or are we required to game the stock shaft ?

So here's a question for whoever can answer. Are we REQUIRED to game the XR driver during competition? Are we allowed to install a different shaft or are we required to game the stock shaft ?

Yes, you are required to game the XR driver for the days of competition as it is.
I would think that most would like to use the driver that was given to them for being in this event.

Yes, you are required to game the XR driver for the days of competition as it is.
I would think that most would like to use the driver that was given to them for being in this event.
Thank you for the answer. Just to be clear, shaft swap is a no go either then?

Nvm. Re read the answer :)

Team Harry is ready to kick tail, stock shafts and all.

I just wanted to clarify the rules of engagement. The stock setup will work well for some and maybe not so much for others. If it doesn't work well for my swing then I'll have 12 other clubs to choose from to tee off with :) either way team Hashtag will set the record straight when the time comes

I just wanted to clarify the rules of engagement. The stock setup will work well for some and maybe not so much for others. If it doesn't work well for my swing then I'll have 12 other clubs to choose from to tee off with :) either way team Hashtag will set the record straight when the time comes

There is no reason, an entire event based around a driver line and a company being all about "King" of Distance, etc should not be celebrated on the course. If someone is heading into the event, giving up on the club that the event is built around, I have to say, that kind of sucks. People overthink clubs and shafts constantly, but there is simply no reason that an event like the King should not have the equipment be the focus.

I dont say this to be rude or mean, just something I struggle with quite a bit recently.

There is no reason, an entire event based around a driver line and a company being all about "King" of Distance, etc should not be celebrated on the course. If someone is heading into the event, giving up on the club that the event is built around, I have to say, that kind of sucks. People overthink clubs and shafts constantly, but there is simply no reason that an event like the King should not have the equipment be the focus.

I dont say this to be rude or mean, just something I struggle with quite a bit recently.
I'm guilty of over thinking most everything, but my good friend Fupresti set me strait and I'm ready to hit some bombs with the XR. Having it ahead of the event should have everyone coming into San Diego comfortable with the setup and with no excuses.

I'm ready for the XR. I even sold the only driver I had so nothing else will be getting in the way. I've enjoyed the performance so far with the demos I've hit and I hope it continues! :)

I have not "given up" on the club. Haven't received it yet so no chance to give it a fair shake. Yes my tinkerer mentality may have shown but by no means does it say anything about whether or not I like the driver. I understand the focus of the event is the driver, but you of all people understand fitting right? As stated before I just wanted to get the rules clear because I'm pretty certain the question was on more minds than mine. And when I say there are 12 other clubs to tee off with it speaks on my game and only that I am trying to limit the number of drivers I hit during a round. That's just me and my game though.

I'm guilty of over thinking most everything, but my good friend Fupresti set me strait and I'm ready to hit some bombs with the XR. Having it ahead of the event should have everyone coming into San Diego comfortable with the setup and with no excuses.

I'm an over thinker too - Should I do 1 or 2 wraps of tape? Maybe just 2 under ther right hand. With my swing its not going to matter. If I don't take a divot or leave a pop up mark I'm happy with my drive. Chad will get his crown because of great play from our team. The 25 or so shots from each memeber hit with a driver will be a small percentage of the final score.

I have not "given up" on the club. Haven't received it yet so no chance to give it a fair shake. Yes my tinkerer mentality may have shown but by no means does it say anything about whether or not I like the driver. I understand the focus of the event is the driver, but you of all people understand fitting right? As stated before I just wanted to get the rules clear because I'm pretty certain the question was on more minds than mine. And when I say there are 12 other clubs to tee off with it speaks on my game and only that I am trying to limit the number of drivers I hit during a round. That's just me and my game though.

Yes, I am well aware of what fitting does and I think it should have far less impact than people think on how a driver performs for a weekend. I think its vastly overthought, by some and that will not change with this event or any other.

I know that some have made their mind up. I know that the day this event ends, the club ends up somewhere else, and frankly that is a shame. It is what it is and I have said my peace on it already.

I just think it kind of sucks that a company is giving away 12 drivers, people are playing and staying at La Costa and doing so with the CMO of a company and the social media director of a company (along with others) and the big thought so far is whether or not the stock shaft will fit. I know that is a monster I created myself, with some of the things we do here, but for me personally, that hits kind of hard.

I say this not at Kang or anybody else, just my general thoughts as I know what goes on through the backend at every one of these events.

Do you think wanting to play their best in front of people plays a role in this at all JB? It may not be as much of being picky or ungrateful but more of a THP'er just wanting to look good in front of the others? Just my .02 on it, but keep in mind I havent had the chance to attend one of these awesome events yet.

Do you think wanting to play their best in front of people plays a role in this at all JB? It may not be as much of being picky or ungrateful but more of a THP'er just wanting to look good in front of the others? Just my .02 on it, but keep in mind I havent had the chance to attend one of these awesome events yet.

Im sure it does. However with everything going on in this event, everything it stands for, I just think its a shame its going this route before the participants even receive their drivers. Nobody has any idea what THP or Callaway Golf has in store for everybody.

I can only say that for me personally, I could not be more excited about everything that goes along with this event. Can't wait to start hitting the XR, can't wait to get to La Costa and meet and hangout with everyone, and can't wait to take down Team Harry. When I purchased the XR Pros last week, I can honestly say that The King played a big role. Not only because I think they'll help my game, but because the opportunity to be a part of this made me immediately want to support Callaway instead of spending more time testing a range of irons (and that's a big deal to me because I get to purchase new irons once every 4-5 years). Just to be clear though, I seriously doubt any other club would have beat the XR Pros.

I can only say that for me personally, I could not be more excited about everything that goes along with this event. Can't wait to start hitting the XR, can't wait to get to La Costa and meet and hangout with everyone, and can't wait to take down Team Harry. When I purchased the XR Pros last week, I can honestly say that The King played a big role. Not only because I think they'll help my game, but because the opportunity to be a part of this made me immediately want to support Callaway instead of spending more time testing a range of irons (and that's a big deal to me because I get to purchase new irons once every 4-5 years). Just to be clear though, I seriously doubt any other club would have beat the XR Pros.
You had me up until you said "Take down Team Harry". Sooooooooooo close? #MaybeNextTimeTeamChad #ButProbablyNot
#TeamHarryFTW

Well damn me for asking a simple question lol. I'm sure everyone is excited for this, I KNOW I am. It was indeed short sighted of me to ask the question but I guess my tinkerer mentality got ahead of me. It's called "#TheKing with XR drivers" lol. I still stand by the question about changing shafts, I thought it was a valid question. If it ruffled up some feathers, you'll have to forgive me for asking. Or not, to each their own. Bottom line is that this event will be incredible.

Back