Paladin's two-month mission

Paladin

Otter be golfing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This weekend I fly for Fort Jackson, SC, where I'll spend a couple months going through a school to further my career. While I'm not a huge fan of being away from my family for that long, it's a reality I've gotten used to. I am planning to spend a lot of time improving my golf game. These days it's less about grinding down my handicap or learning the basics of hitting the ball (relatively) straight. I want to create a game that travels better. Learning to hit off side-hill lies, getting in touch with different speed greens more quickly, and doing a better job at course management. The plan right now is a range session Wednesday afternoons, and to walk 18/36 on Saturdays. This, along with the other four weekday evenings in the gym, focusing on core strength and power, I'm hoping to see some big improvements to my game in general. So I'm throwing this thread up ahead of all this to track progress, and I'll probably put up a lot of videos of things I'm working on as far as my swing and what I'm trying to accomplish with it. The weightlifting specific stuff I'll have in the fitness thread.

I'm not looking forward to being away from the family, but I am looking forward to having something to focus on and hopefully soak up a lot of my idle time.

Good luck dude. Sucks being away from the family for that long, but if it's going to further your career and help provide a better living for the fam in the future, it's a good thing.

Sucks to be away, but this will help the time pass more quickly as you will have a goal to focus on. Good luck, looking forward to reading about your progress.

So I'm guessing that you are going to BNCOC or ANCOC? Good luck and have fun. It weather should be great around Jackson after all of this rain passes through the area.

So I'm guessing that you are going to BNCOC or ANCOC? Good luck and have fun. It weather should be great around Jackson after all of this rain passes through the area.

AIT Platoon Sergeant Course, plus Master Resiliency Trainer.

In August I get to go to Georgia for Master Combatives Trainer Course. I'm not planning to get any golf in that month, though. My weekends will be spent recovering from injuries.

I understand the Fort Jackson courses are very good. The best public course in the area is Cobblestone Park in Blythewood, SC which is about a 20 minute drive from Jackson.

AIT Platoon Sergeant Course, plus Master Resiliency Trainer.

In August I get to go to Georgia for Master Combatives Trainer Course. I'm not planning to get any golf in that month, though. My weekends will be spent recovering from injuries.

Yeah that course is rough. I got lvl 4 certified and stayed brushed and beat up for weeks. Not to mention getting my rear handed to me be John Gracie.

Quite a few THPers in the area. Head on over to the Calling all Carolinian's thread and get to golfing with us!

Good on ya Steve. In the end, you are doing this for you and Rebecca. You have an awesome family and just focus in that.

It is stuff like this that us mere civilians don't often hear about. Thanks for your sacrifices and service.

Sounds like a solid plan! Can't wait to see how it works out for you!

You may want to mix in a few 9 hole late night rounds during the week as well and play 2 ball best ball. Helps build confidence in your scoring ability and lets you hit more course shots.

It won't be the weekend of May 1st or May 8th, but I still want to come get together in Augusta or somewhere one of those Saturdays.

Plt. Sgt. is a great learning experience. If you can keep your shot group tight, it's a fairly easy transition to 1SG. A digital Leaders Book is your friend. Looking forward to hearing how you progress, both on and off the course.

You might want to stop by this little watering hole, Flying Saucer Draught Emporium Columbia, SC. Our BDE CDR brought the Command Teams there for a post Division debrief. Darn good Stouts and Porters though they also serve a nice selection of "lighter" beers.

sucks being away from the family but sometimes we have to make those sacrifices. in the end it will be worth it.

good luck on the game improvement process. will be following along.

Having Sony may years of my career seperated from the family I totally understand buddy. We ten forget that those left home struggle as much if not more than the soldier/sailor that is away. In the end the training you receive will pay dividends both inside and after your career has concluded. Leadership is something that the civilian world longs for, dynamic leadership is something they pay dearly for. It's rough now, but in time you and your family will reap the benefits of your training time.

As far as the golf progression goes, nothing is better than immersion into the game for that long of time....best luck in both ventures!

Great plan Steve! May be out that way I June. Still not sure.

JM

Good luck on the game improving plan.

Have as much fun as you can, all things considered! Keep us informed - and I look forward to a round when you get back!

Have as much fun as you can, all things considered! Keep us informed - and I look forward to a round when you get back!
Heck yeah, I'll be heading up to Sedona at the end of June/start of July, planning to play Oak Creek or some other courses around there.

I'm right down the street in Augusta, and Ft Gordon's course is really nice. If you wanna get a round in one weekend, let me know!

I'm right down the street in Augusta, and Ft Gordon's course is really nice. If you wanna get a round in one weekend, let me know!
I'm definitely planning to get down there and play Gordon Lakes or possibly another course in the area one of those weekends. I'll make sure to give folks a holler. One thing I'm looking forward to about this trip is a chance to play with more THPers. I live in a spot that's pretty light on THP folks (just me and Bully Dog out here), so the opportunity to get to a spot that's thick with 'em, I'm hoping will make for some more interesting weekends.

I'm definitely planning to get down there and play Gordon Lakes or possibly another course in the area one of those weekends. I'll make sure to give folks a holler. One thing I'm looking forward to about this trip is a chance to play with more THPers. I live in a spot that's pretty light on THP folks (just me and Bully Dog out here), so the opportunity to get to a spot that's thick with 'em, I'm hoping will make for some more interesting weekends.

Same here. For such a big golf town, not many THP'ers. We've got a good steady group that I play with here, as long as you don't mind us looking for a lost ball from time to time. :act-up:

The effort you've put into your game has been impressive over the last year and half. I'm looking forward to teeing it up with you soon.

The Carolinas are humid. Also it rains here. Had an early out from school yesterday, so I was able to squeeze in 9 holes. Shot a miserable 51. Fought a push the whole time. Add in some dodgy putting and it was a tough way to get back to it. But I hit some decent shots and got my shape where I wanted it by the end of the round. Left my driver in the bag (actually left the driver head in my backpack so I didn't have a choice.) Hopefully the weather holds up this weekend and I can get another round in.

The Carolinas are humid. Also it rains here. Had an early out from school yesterday, so I was able to squeeze in 9 holes. Shot a miserable 51. Fought a push the whole time. Add in some dodgy putting and it was a tough way to get back to it. But I hit some decent shots and got my shape where I wanted it by the end of the round. Left my driver in the bag (actually left the driver head in my backpack so I didn't have a choice.) Hopefully the weather holds up this weekend and I can get another round in.

Thick wet rough is no ones friend

Back