New Season, old problem... any help you can give me...

semi

Reaction score
Handicap
So I ended 2014 with a pretty straight drive. This year after a long cold winter i am back to blocking or slicing to the right again. I believe my issue is getting too far out in front of the ball. My driver head is open when i make contact. Are there any tips or instruction that has helped you in trying to stay behind the ball for a square face at impact?

my typical shot starts straight but ends up going right as it plateau's. Its not a banana slice that starts out left and moves right. They are going straight to start then hooks right. Any ideas?

What steps did you take to fix it last year?

I should say i was "better" by end of year but not solved. I tried to stop any hip slide on the downswing. That was about it. Seemed to work, but driving yesterday i was pushing right. Just haven't been able to square the face.

I would go back to stopping the hips from slidding. You are out in front of the ball if you're pushing.
I should say i was "better" by end of year but not solved. I tried to stop any hip slide on the downswing. That was about it. Seemed to work, but driving yesterday i was pushing right. Just haven't been able to square the face.

Is it safe to assume the hips only turn and do not slide forward? in watching some videos etc... i see many where the hips are moving towards the target from some instructors on the internet.

Is it safe to assume the hips only turn and do not slide forward? in watching some videos etc... i see many where the hips are moving towards the target from some instructors on the internet.
Some would argue there is a lateral move in the hip turn. If you move off the ball on your back swing then there is a lateral move back to address position through a turn of the hip away from the ball. If uou slide laterally into this position you will end up out in front of the ball and get your push or hook

so just so i understand, if my hips slide either way = bad! because i am having to readjust to square the face. So just turn my hips in the backswing and swing thru the ball using a turn and no sliding.

again thank you for the advice on this thread.

Having suffered from a terrible slice for years but recently fixed it, I cant say this will help you since I havent seen your swing, but my problem was I didnt swing enough around my body. When I started doing that (along with all the usual things like proper grip etc ofc) that took me from hitting sliced 150-200 metre drives to straight 250-300 metre drives. What I try to focus on now is keeping a little more weight on my forward foot, to get from in to out instead of out to in, and swing more around the body to not come over the top. Hope it helps, slicing the driver is so incredibly frustrating, especially when you have fixed it and you think now it is gone, then it comes back.

so i was able to meet with a pga instructor who found the following.

1. Grip was way too strong
2. i was sliding laterally
3. was NOT completely turning my body (very stiff and trying to be too precise in hitting the ball, not trusting the club or path)
4. Instructor said i have a great swing, just need to tweak a few things mostly grip pressure.
5. my stance was too wide impeding my body turn

so i corrected these and now i am hitting massive draws and hooks. So i have to find the right balance.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who commented... especially tadashi!

Back