TaylorMade SLDR 460 Shaft Recommendation

out-off-bound

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone changed the stock shaft on their SLDR drivers yet? Initially I was quite taken back by the amount of roll I'm getting from this driver but somehow I feel that I'm not launching the ball enough. Its maybe because I'm not generating enough spin for optimal launch but I'm just guessing here because I don't have access to a launch monitor. Any shaft recommendation based on your personal SLDR driver experience? I really don't want to give up on this driver head just yet.

You will find a lot of folks have done this due to how this club performed with stock options. Many of us found great results on this club once we were fit or changed shafts on this club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using a tour ad dj 6 in my sldr driver. Did you try lofting up to help bring up your launch angle?

I currently am tinkering from the stock Speeder 57 to the TP Speeder 6.3, but every person is going to be different. I do agree that you gotta get the right head loft, I use the 12* and I normally buy 10.5* drivers.

Without having much information, it sounds like a more loft on the driver head could be what you are looking for. I can't say I have tried too many high launching shafts but I did try the Tour Blue, I thought it launched pretty high.

This is a case where tinkerer's paradise meets Taylormade performance.

I have two SLDR heads which have allowed me to test out more options than I care to mention. A *12 430 cc and a *10.5 460 cc head. And depending where my swing is at for that week I have tried every loft setting and lie angle available.

Believe it or not each and every setting performs best with a specific swing speed and or launch angle.

But don't get me started on shaft selection.

So my best advice, since you don't have a launch monitor is to take your wrench and hit ten balls note the distance, average ball trajectory and accuracy. Then switch to the next setting one by one. All the way around the shaft you currently own. 9 settings total. 90 range balls. One large bucket. You should begin to see a pattern. One or two settings at most should match your swing.

Before I forget. This testing is best performed at the neutral setting for ball flight. This will limit the variables and allow you to determine which setup works best for you.

Remember you can always dial in the draw or fade setting later after you have settled on your preferred setting for your SLDR DRIVER head.

This has, for me, given me a good accessment not only of the driver heads but also the shafts. So when I then tested the shafts I already knew which setting to dial in and what changes I could expect before I even put a new shaft in.

Then when I saw a Change in ball flight or trajectory I knew what the base line was and what the shaft was adding to the equation.

In the end I noticed that the biggest improvement I found by changing shafts was in feel. And since I knew I could always Change the other variables with a wrench I found the task of picking the right shaft a lot easier. Since feel is very subjective it can be very difficult for me, anyone else for that matter, to recommend a specific shaft for you.

But I can tell you once you find that zone this driver is very hard to beat. I honestly can tell you I haven't found anything in 2015 that can beat it. And I have tried almost all of the new drivers available.

So when I know I'm a little tired from work and life. And I know I need a little help getting the ball up in the air. I just dial the loft up to my slow swing sweet spot and enjoy a decent round of golf with my SS Average of 90 mph.

But when I'm well rested and my swing is popping. I just crank the loft down to my preferred ferrari SS setting for those 104 mph days. There by avoiding ballooning and distance loss from decreased roll out.

Hope this ramble helps.

JMTC.

Last edited:
I tested a lot of shafts last summer for the SLDR S I played in the Morgan Cup and I had by far the best numbers with the Graphite Design AD-MT.

The low spin nature of this head means roll out. Lots of it. On good swings. No way to get around that. I played this head last year, I had to go with a 12°. Loft up, maybe try a very soft tip shaft, maybe a Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue. That should be a good inexpensive experiment.

I use the Matrix Black Tie in my SLDR 430 and I absolutely love it.

I was thinking about a different shaft in mine as well.

I have the Fubiki zt in my sldr. It is a pull from a big bertha alpha. It works wonders for me.

I'm thinking about trying the shaft from my old burner. That one I loved or a older ust proforce v2. I have gotten along well with those. The sldr shaft I have now feels a bit too whippy

I now regret getting the 10.5 instead of the 12 degree head. I've already maxxed the loft of my 10.5 to 12 but I guess my swing isn't consistent enough to benefit the low spin nature of this head. I've decided to get the head fitted with a different head. I'll keep you guys updated once I've got fitted.

Does anyone notice a difference in carry between a lower spinning ball like the e6 compared to something like the prov1?

Does anyone notice a difference in carry between a lower spinning ball like the e6 compared to something like the prov1?
I get the best carry with the Pro V1x. I easily leaves the e6 back in the dust by 5-10 yards.

But everyone has there own magic ball.

So you should probably get a sleeve and decide for yourself.

I'm thinking about trying the shaft from my old burner. That one I loved or a older ust proforce v2. I have gotten along well with those. The sldr shaft I have now feels a bit too whippy
The ust proforce V2 gold was on sale for 79 bucks. With the taylormade R 15 sleeve that fits the sldr.

If I wanted to change shafts I would have been all over it.

But I'm happy with the fujikura TP 77 grams shaft I have.

Just Google search for it.

The ust proforce V2 gold was on sale for 79 bucks. With the taylormade R 15 sleeve that fits the sldr.

If I wanted to change shafts I would have been all over it.

But I'm happy with the fujikura TP 77 grams shaft I have.

Just Google search for it.
Thanks I will. I was thinking about pulling my v2 out of a 905s I have laying around.

Back