Trackman - Enhancing Motor Skill Development

-CRW-

Reaction score
Very interesting; I know there is a lot of validity to what she's saying. I had never heard of Trackman until this weekend when (Miller?) was saying that Charlie Hoffman is a big Trackman guy.

I'll be there are hefty time and expense considerations for going this route, but I'll bet it pays dividends!

Well you don't have to use Trackman to practice the steps for improvement they are suggesting.

However, (since you are in the Houston area) the Swanson Golf Center in the Champions area rents out time on Trackman for $30 an hour or $45 with Pro V1 balls. Either choice is lower in cost than a typical lesson.

Well you don't have to use Trackman to practice the steps for improvement they are suggesting.

However, (since you are in the Houston area) the Swanson Golf Center in the Champions area rents out time on Trackman for $30 an hour or $45 with Pro V1 balls. Either choice is lower in cost than a typical lesson.

Really? Are there instructors during the sessions, or are you own your own? I may have to do a bit of research!

interesting article. i think these can be done without trackman or another LM, but having the LM and being able to interpret the data is nice. however not many golfers can interpret the data.

interesting article. i think these can be done without trackman or another LM, but having the LM and being able to interpret the data is nice. however not many golfers can interpret the data.

And regardless of interpreting it, know how to fix it by themselves.
I am a supporter of the devices for many things. Self fixing is not one of them.

I spent a lot money this year on a teaching facility that has a trackman and flightscope. I only been there a handful of times and used the trackman twice, but have to agree with JB. There is so much info, best to have a professional on staff help you with the numbers and all. Bottom line ; trackman won't put a score on the card for you. But the info it gives out will help you play better if you know what to look for

Well I've started a profile at Trackman, and I've contacted Swanson. I'll definitely give it a try.

Trackman is great, interpreting the data on the screen is easy to understand especially AoA, Club Path, Face angle all that stuff. However it works best if you have a trained eye there to help you make the corrections needed. When my buddy coached at the UofH, I would get on the trackman every few weeks and he would help me understand the numbers and make the corrections, best part it was $0.

I posted the article more for the idea of creating stress on the range to make it more like golf than golf swing.

With that being said, I think Trackman (or any other launch monitor) and the numbers it provides are pretty straight forward and relatively simple to understand. The hard part is the "feel vs real" dilemma that occurs in the golf swing. That's where the instructor comes in for most golfers.

I posted the article more for the idea of creating stress on the range to make it more like golf than golf swing.

With that being said, I think Trackman (or any other launch monitor) and the numbers it provides are pretty straight forward and relatively simple to understand. The hard part is the "feel vs real" dilemma that occurs in the golf swing. That's where the instructor comes in for most golfers.

My view is that it is less about understanding the numbers and more about how to get to where you want to go.
Paralysis by analysis is quite common for those that are beginning and going with this method.
Chasing numbers is real and self fixes for a beginner (or advanced) while chasing them usually ends up in lack of progress in my experience.

And this coming from a person that owns multiple launch monitors and uses them daily, but for different reasons.

My view is that it is less about understanding the numbers and more about how to get to where you want to go.
Paralysis by analysis is quite common for those that are beginning and going with this method.
Chasing numbers is real and self fixes for a beginner (or advanced) while chasing them usually ends up in lack of progress in my experience.

And this coming from a person that owns multiple launch monitors and uses them daily, but for different reasons.

This man is wise.

I like the idea of real, quantitative data as far as cause and effect. I've played golf for 38 years and I know how to make a ball do many different things. I'm hoping with Trackman, I'll be able to use the numbers within the framework of my current knowledge, to be able to practice more effectively.

I'm not sure I can take technical advice from someone with an AOL email address. :act-up:

Excellent article! That transitional learning stage is tough. You have to be very disciplined and patient and most golfers are neither. :)

I don't really have the money or access to regularly get on a Trackman and am not sure I would/should if I could do it. It would be easy for me to start obsessing about the numbers instead of just working on making the ball fly like I want. But I am a big fan of the Trackman Combine.

I did the Trackman Combine about a year and a half ago and it was definitely an eye opener. Puts your game under pressure, cause it's a test and you only get 3 reps at any given distance to score with. Plus it measures your consistency/skill with all shots from 50 yards to the driver.
I was totally inconsistent from the 50-100 yard shots and actually scored much better from 150 out. I immediately concentrated at least half of my practice to that area of my game and now am much better for it. I'm hoping to find a place nearby that has it available to go through again when it quits fricking raining here.

I'm not sure I can take technical advice from someone with an AOL email address. :act-up:

Off topic but there are still millions in the USA using dial up.

This is nice and all, but expensive. Without an instructor from whom I've been taking lessons, I don't know if it would be worth it. Besides, I'm not good enough to where I'm needing that yet. I need more help just getting the ball down the fairway and keeping it out of the woods.

The Voice Caddie sc100 has a practice and random mode setting that might be useful for many golfers to simulate actual playing conditions on the practice range and enhance transitional practice for the average golfer

I've got a lesson this week with an instructor who has Flightscope and next week with one who has Trackman and the Swing Catalyst Balance Plate. I am very interested to see the data from the SCBP.

I agree with you. You have to know what to do in order to achieve certain numbers (or a number range). And often what you think you need to do in order to fix something is not what you actually need to do (feel vs real).

But I think it works both ways. If you have a basic understanding of the golf swing and what needs to be done to accomplish a specific result, then launch monitors can help you diagnose and correct an issue faster than just hitting balls in the range.

An instructor can do the same, but they aren't always available. I've spent the past month thinking I was doing better because I was keeping the driver in play 90% or better than I have since I picked up golf. But I also noticed that I was hooking some and the ball flight seemed significantly too high sometimes. I finally got to a lesson and was videod and learned that I was flipping the club versus turning the lead hand down/toward the target. I think seeing the dynamic loft and launch angle would have given me a clue that I was going that at least in some shots.

This is nice and all, but expensive. Without an instructor from whom I've been taking lessons, I don't know if it would be worth it. Besides, I'm not good enough to where I'm needing that yet. I need more help just getting the ball down the fairway and keeping it out of the woods.

Again, none of the training phases discussed in that article require a Trackman or any other launch monitor. It's more about the transitional phase of practice. It's more about how the brain functions and less about the swing or the numbers from a launch monitor.

Back