How often do you replace your clubs?

So I'm looking at my clubs and they are certainly looking well used. I was just wondering after how many rounds of golf do you think you NEED to replace your clubs. I know for some guys it's a yearly thing but I'm talking about the clubs just being worn to the point where it may be affecting your game to some degree. I haven't noticed anything but they are definitely looking worn.

As others have stated you can go awhile before you need to replace clubs, should and want being different cases. If your grooves are worn down to where your shots aren't stopping on the green(s) (some courses have awful firm greens, so factor that in too), or you've noticed you've lost height (you've some of your spin which helps elevate and hold the ball in the air) then those are situations where you may need to replace your clubs to regain control and distance. If you can still elevate and stop shots then you don't need to replace your clubs.

I'd extend now to the should factor. If you want to be able to hit certain shots (long drives excluded) with your clubs, but either can't or have trouble doing so consistantly and you find clubs that allow you to hit that type of shot then you probably should change clubs to make it easier (and potentially more fun for yourself). Likewise if you feel you mishit shots more often than you used to and your clubs are many years old you may benefit from looking into clubs that are more forgiving on mishits. Sweet spots on some types of clubs have expanded making mishits go better distances, and some modern shafts have better dispersion than older models. If you're going somewhere (be it driving range or simulator) to test out new clubs take an old club with you that you can compare side by side, and see if you see an improvement when compared side by side. If you don't see a significant difference then you don't need to replace your clubs.

I probably NEED to change my clubs 3 years or so......I want to change them weekly. Last two years I was changing them almost monthly....

Depends on the type of club for me.

Irons - not very often. Once I find a set of irons I like, it takes quite a bit to get them out of my bag. Before my current Callaway set I played a set of Nike Forged blades for 10 years.
Wedges - once every few years, just depends on how they wear.
Driver - Recently I have been changing it up, although I do really love my SLDR 430 right now, and I think it will take quite a bit to get it out of my bag.
FW/Hybrid - once every few years.
Putter - hrm...well I usually try out 1 or 2 new putters throughout the year (really depends on how well I'm putting). I've had my Scotty Newport 2 for 13 years now, and it's a putter that I go back to often because I've had a lot of success with it throughout the years.

Played my old Hogan H40 irons from about '96 to 2011, then went to the present X-22s. so, Irons, not often.
Same putter since about 2000.
FWs, 2-3 different ones in the last 5 years.
About the same for drivers.

Edit: 2016, changed everything except the putter.

Last edited:
As others have stated you can go awhile before you need to replace clubs, should and want being different cases. If your grooves are worn down to where your shots aren't stopping on the green(s) (some courses have awful firm greens, so factor that in too), or you've noticed you've lost height (you've some of your spin which helps elevate and hold the ball in the air) then those are situations where you may need to replace your clubs to regain control and distance. If you can still elevate and stop shots then you don't need to replace your clubs.

This is what I was concerned about. I'm normally able to hit the green and have it stick or maybe roll forward two to five feet but lately they haven't been doing that. However shot height I believe is the same as before. Maybe it is just that now that the temps are over 100 degrees here things are just getting drier and harder. I'll probably hold off a bit and see what happens after a little rain.

This is what I was concerned about. I'm normally able to hit the green and have it stick or maybe roll forward two to five feet but lately they haven't been doing that. However shot height I believe is the same as before. Maybe it is just that now that the temps are over 100 degrees here things are just getting drier and harder. I'll probably hold off a bit and see what happens after a little rain.
And here I was going to lowball you on buying your irons.

Replace? I don't understand... if you mean how often I add clubs to the rotation, then the answer is often

Replace? I don't understand... if you mean how often I add clubs to the rotation, then the answer is often

haha I was wondering how you were going to answer this question when I saw you had the latest response. Envious of that rotation, dude!

I'm struggling with this a bit this year. I have a set of 2008 King Cobra FP irons. I thought I may end up with a set from the Chicago Golf Show this year so in prep I headed to the local Golfsmith and hit my clubs and then every new one they had on the shelf and compared. The numbers were almost identical across the board. My 2008 irons performed just as well as the new clubs in the simulator. Mine have to be wearing down but when should I really replace them. I did hit a new set of Wilson's at the show that were absolutely explosive. May look into them once the price decides to come down.

Oh man I had those King Cobra FP 2008 3-GW all the way into 2013 - they were great clubs. My buddy has them now so I still get to see them every once in a while.

If you don't want to unload a ton of cash right off the bat - You might want to just start at getting new hybrids and benching the 4 and 5 irons, that's definitely where I saw a massive and immediate improvement over the FP's. You are also going to see upgrades for your existing 3H and 3W possibly worthwhile as well.

I've been good lately. Settled on G30 driver(although thinking about the LS version). Just replaced my 714's that I bought in Dec 2013 with CF16's.
My putter is running out of good puts though, may try a Scotty.

This year I've changed my hybrids and irons, and I'm thinking about maybe changing my 3w...yeah I've got a problem haha

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I've taken the 4 out of the bag and replaced with a hybrid so I only have the 5-PW currently in. I use Cleveland wedges for Lob, Sand and Gap and I will probably replace the PW later this year.

I have been doing pretty well lately, haven't bought a new club for the bag since the golf show a few months ago.

I have been doing pretty well lately, haven't bought a new club for the bag since the golf show a few months ago.
You should try an Odyssey #9 putter. I think you may like it.

I replaced a lot of clubs last year, almost the entire bag. so far this year, I have -0- desire to change. that is very hard for me to wrap my brain around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than wedges, I go years without replacing any clubs.

Until THP, that is.... Since I joined, I have acquired more putters and drivers. Also, more clubs in general, but that is an entirely different conversation...

Maybe every three years I buy another iron set. Three times a year I rotate my iron collections. I try to focus on playing more than shopping golf equipments. Very tough :struggle:

My buddy replaces his when he needs new grips... Not a joke.

If they are giving you the same results then there is no reason to replace them, unless you just want new ones, which is a good enough reason. Fwiw, up until 2011 I played the same old irons for more than a decade, and still could really. I had a hard time finding irons also when I finally decided to take the plunge, and I have been through a few sets before finding one that really suits me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The only thing remaining in my bag at the beginning of this season from the end of last was my putter. Probably too much change at once, so irons are going to get switched out again here this week me-thinks.

I guess I'm an odd ball here because I don't replace my irons very often. I may go 5 years or a little more before I replace my irons. Something has to come out and really wow me! I buy other clubs along the way and rotate in and out but usually stick with my iron set for a bit.

I guess I'm an odd ball here because I don't replace my irons very often. I may go 5 years or a little more before I replace my irons. Something has to come out and really wow me! I buy other clubs along the way and rotate in and out but usually stick with my iron set for a bit.

This is the way I am, that and irons are more expensive to replace. I tend to buy last years equipment to make it more affordable too.

This time out, hopefully not anytime soon. I took more than a year to come up with the gamer set, so I hope this will last me a few years. I also see no reason to change them.

Back