How often do you replace your clubs?

azfarrier

Average Hack
Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm looking at my clubs and they are certainly looking well used. I was just wondering after how many rounds of golf do you think you NEED to replace your clubs. I know for some guys it's a yearly thing but I'm talking about the clubs just being worn to the point where it may be affecting your game to some degree. I haven't noticed anything but they are definitely looking worn.

Need to? Not sure that comes up very often.
Want to? Yearly.

Fortunately with THP Events like #TheGrandaddy, the all expenses paid golf trip of a lifetime, and others, THPers are winning new bags every year.

And with the local shopping mart that is know as the b/s/t section on here replacments happen more often than needed.

seems to be yearly. Some of us, *cough* fupresti *cough*, seem to do it when the wind changes direction. Wonderful part, those THPers usually do a wonderful job of spreading their used clubs around to other THPers.

Driver - every 2 seasons (Because I want to - however I will compare to my current gamer and unless it is a significant advantage I wont change)
Fairway wood - it will take a lot to knock the X2Hot 5W out of my bag - just stupid easy to hit - prior to that I had the RBZ Stage 2 3W which I barely used - so I guess every 4 seasons
Hybrid - Don't see a need to change the one Hybrid I own as of yet
Irons - Before ordering my Apexs I had the Burner 2.0 irons for 5 years - prior to that I had the Taylormade RAC TP Combos for about 5 years - so every 5 years for irons
Wedges - every 2-3 seasons depending on how bad the grooves are
Putter - Keep going back to my Odyssey #1 White Hot which I have had for close to 10 years I think...

WAY WAY more than I should. It's the arrow.....not the indian.....right? ;)

I agree with JB. Need to; they will last for many years. Want to; yes. It was not unusual years ago to play with the same clubs for years as the release cycles were not like today. With today's thinner grooves they may not last as long. Only time will tell.

seems to be yearly. Some of us, *cough* fupresti *cough*, seem to do it when the wind changes direction. Wonderful part, those THPers usually do a wonderful job of spreading their used clubs around to other THPers.

This is an outrageous statement. In 2015, I have only played 4 different drivers, 3 different fairways woods, 4 different hybrids, 2 different sets of irons, 3 different sets of wedges and 3 different putters.

Rarely need to but replace whenever I want something new and shiny

Yea I have approximately 150 rounds in on the clubs I'm currently playing. Driver looks good but the grooves in the irons and wedges have certainly seen better days. It doesn't sound like many here though go that many rounds between sets though:D

This is an outrageous statement. In 2015, I have only played 4 different drivers, 3 different fairways woods, 4 different hybrids, 2 different sets of irons, 3 different sets of wedges and 3 different putters.
And one new HOF tag.

Need to? I honestly don't know if that ever happens. I've seen old guys still out there playing solid golf with 10 and 20 year old sets that look like they were recovered from an archaeological dig. Only way I can see "need" is if the club is damaged or the grooves are completely gone (takes WAY longer than people think).

However, I seem to be on the following schedule based on finding a new "best club ever"/getting bored with my stuff:
Driver: I've gone through no less than 5 in the last year and a half, and probably about to go for a 6th based on a fitting. With a custom shaft from #TheHandCraftedExperience, hopefully will stick with that head for a long time!!
Fairway: Gone through 4 or 5 in the last year and a half.
Hybrids: Gone through 3 in the last year and a half.
Irons: Switched in mid 2013, then switched late 2014.
Wedges: Switched a year and a half ago. These are pretty stable for me till they get worn.
Putter: 4 or 5 in the past year and a half.

Moral of the story is, don't go on THP if you don't want to acquire a gear flipping problem. :alien:

I don't think you need to based on how much use they get.

For me driver 1-2 years
Hybrids 3-5 years
irons 3-7 years
Wedges 2 years
Putter 2 years

I was okay until 2013 then started being a bit of a ho. I mostly just updated woods/wedges every few years but never fell in love with any new irons. Now there are just soooo many new juicy choices to ponder. Thanks THP! :devil:

1987-1991 Northwestern irons/woods (bought for me to learn on after HS, thanks pops). Bullseye putter.
1991-1995 Ping Eye 2's mixed in with some random other clubs. Random putters.
1995-1996 Mizuno MP Grad w Callaway Big Bertha woods. Ping putters (Anser)
1996-2001 Top Flite Tour O/S w Callaway Big Bertha woods Ping putters (Anser2)
2001-2008 Titleist DCI 762 w Callaway Steelhead woods (Ping G2 Craz-E - still using on occasion)
2008-2013 Cobra FP w Ping G10 woods (Ping G2 Craz-E and Scotty Cameron Kombi-S)
2013-2013 Mizuno JPX 825 Pro w Ping G25 woods/hybrids (Scotty Cameron Kombi-S and Ping Scottsdale Craz-E)
2013-2014 Mizuno JPX 825 w Ping G25 woods/hybrids (Ping Scottsdale Craz-E)
2014+ Callaway Apex w Xhot/X2hot/XR woods/hybrids (Ping Scottsdale Craz-E, Ping Cadence TR Anser2 Heavy, Ping G2 Craz-E)

It is one of those things that when it happens you will know. From my experience less spin and extra distance were the clues for me. When you can see they are worn and they don't play the same, then it might be time to replace, but I don't see there being a set number of rounds or swings. I'm sure a ton of factors play into that though. Type of materials used and the process might be a factor. I've used the same driver for 10+ years and the same 3-wood for nearly 20 and haven't noticed any difference with those. I did notice a difference on my old set of irons and wedges.

Looks like a slow start. Good thing you have more than half a year to rectify it. ;)

Need to...hardly ever, want to all the time...but thanks for THP, Callaway and The Grandaddy, I won't have to for a while!

driver every 2 years,
woods 2+ years
irons every 3+ years
wedges every year
ball every hole!!! hahhhahahahahha

Honestly? As often as I feel like it. Not good for the checkbook, but it's part of what I enjoy about golf - trying new equipment after spending time reading THP staff and member reviews.

Honestly? As often as I feel like it. Not good for the checkbook, but it's part of what I enjoy about golf - trying new equipment after spending time reading THP staff and member reviews.
Haha.... U sure it's not as often as you'd like?!

Depends on the day.
I still think u need to stop messing around and throw the new odyssey in your bag and leave it. That thing is $$$$$$$$$$$$$ in your hands!

I still think u need to stop messing around and throw the new odyssey in your bag and leave it. That thing is $$$$$$$$$$$$$ in your hands!
I'm sorry, did you say get a new Odyssey in the bag? Don't mind if I do!

When they break. So, not very often. Golf's an expensive game without buying clubs every year or two.

I replace mine fairly often as I do golf club reviews for my site (it's a perk). However I know a few great players who don't haven't replaced their irons for many years.

Back