Is it time for a shaft fitting?

Drew Z

Reaction score
Handicap
16.6 GHIN
I was fitted for my Irons at the beginning of last year. At the time it was my second year golfing and I have taken some lessons. I currently have the True Temper XP 105's in regular flex. I wasn't 100% comfortable with my swing yet so I'm guessing my head speed was slower and tempo was off.

Fast forward a year later with a ton of range buckets under my belt, I am much more comfortable and confident with my swing. Last year, my 150 club was a 7 Iron and now I am looking at an 8i or even a 9i depending on pin placement/wind etc.

Should I head to my local pro-shop and look to get fitted for different shafts? How can I tell if my regular flex shafts are too "flexy"?

Thanks in advance for your help

Don't overthink it too much. You can play 105g R flex shafts with a 150 yard 8 iron. Assuming there isn't a glaring problem presenting itself.

It depends on the flight and consistency of your current shafts and how you deliver the club to the ball along with how you load the shafts. There are quite a few pro players that hit about the same distances as you yet their shafts range from Reg to XStiff.(Yes some Pros play Regular flex shafts with Jim Furyk being probably the most notable)

i play regular flex in my irons, and my 8i is my 150-155y club assuming no wind. just like what AG47 says above, flex isn't just about swing speed, not to mention that there is no flex standard in the industry.

I wouldn't make a change unless you think something is really wrong. I only hit my 8i about 150 and im good with that because the yardages don't change much.

Don't overthink it too much. You can play 105g R flex shafts with a 150 yard 8 iron. Assuming there isn't a glaring problem presenting itself.

totally agree. surprisingly played reg flex in a lighter shaft than this with no issues.

agreed

If your hitting them well don't worry about what the flex is.

I really appreciate the responses. I'm booking a few more lessons so I assume the pro would also suggest if the shafts would help.

150 used to be a nice yardage for me but now it's tricky because I'm between an 8 and 9. Like Hawk mentioned, I'm over thinking this. I want to pull the trigger on some sort of new stuff for the bag and this shaft fitting sounded like a good idea.

Thanks again

No it's not time for a shaft fitting. Wait until all the info about Grandura is released then go for a shaft fitting.

I hit a 165 8i and I use reg flex shafts. Unless you see a major miss or flight problem I don't think a shaft fitting is necessary.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I really appreciate the responses. I'm booking a few more lessons so I assume the pro would also suggest if the shafts would help.

150 used to be a nice yardage for me but now it's tricky because I'm between an 8 and 9. Like Hawk mentioned, I'm over thinking this. I want to pull the trigger on some sort of new stuff for the bag and this shaft fitting sounded like a good idea.

Thanks again
Leave the clubs alone.

Creepy voice from above.

K. I. S. S.

If it ain't broke.

Lol.

Oh well you can always just say that the devil made you do it.

If you play alot and take golf seriously going to get fitted is very important it will help your game. You need to know what kind of shafts/clubs are the best for you, it will help lower your scores.

Back