At your relative level are you more the steady type or more the feast/famine type?

At your relative level are you more the steady type or more the feast/famine type?

• more the fairly steady type

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • more the feast or famine type

Votes: 31 50.8%

• Total voters
Very feast/famine. I can shoot in the 70s one day and then 90s the next.

I'm more of a feast or famine player. It's not uncommon for me to rattle off a string of birdies, unfortunately I can do the same with bogey's as well. Just depends on the day.

I'm way more up and down, which is something I'm trying to work on, because as I become more consistent I know my scores will start to drop more.

AVOID THE BIG NUMBERS!!!

But will it really? Here is what I mean.
I stated that while I still consider myself a F/F type of player I have steadied out a little past season or two. But steadying out a little does not mean I have over all lowered my cap much at all. You see, I do suffer some less blow-ups but at the same time I don't par or birdie as much. Its a tad less famine but also a tad less feast. A bit steadier but same score at rounds end. Its kind of strange this has happened after a bunch lessons past two seasons. And something I posted about in a thread last year.

So being steadier vs F/F type of player doesn't necessarily mean better.
And especially when the "bouncing" is more on a round to round basis. lets put hole-to-hole aside for the moment and instead talk of feast/famine round-to-round where the final score has a large fluctuation. That kind of F/F type of play may even lower ones cap and yet as they steady things out it actually raises it. Scoring steadily lets say 90ish within a couple/few strokes vs bouncing from 84 to 96 or more. The player bouncing will tend to have more lower scores to compute the handicap, so steadying out may actually raise it.

Being steadier does not have to mean better as in the two above examples. Whether its a hole-to-hole or round-to-round feast or famine type of play, being steadier only means better when there is only more of the "better play". Not when there is less of both the worse and better play.
One scenario means one is simply steadier (but not really better) and the other means one has indeed become better.

Definitely feast or famine. If my dad is with me I play like garbage every time. He is 80 and I swear I can play multiple rounds I'm happy with for my experience and ability and talk to him about it. As soon ad he comes along I play like absolute garbage.

I guess steady? I'd say currently 15/16 holes a round right now are fairly steady par/bogey, and I'll have an occasional birdie and 2-3 doubles a round. Recently I've been pushing more and more holes to pars that used to be bogies and I'm giving myself a lot more birdie chances, so hopefully scores/HC will start going down.

I'm steadily bad, but steadily improving (just slower than I'd like to).

I was thinking about this today as I was on the last few holes. I had a steady round today. Shot an 88 which is a pretty good round for me. But not much 'bouncing around" at all from hole to hole. 5 pars, 2 doubles, and 11 bogeys. That's a pretty steady bogey play imo. Not that its good play but is steady.
My last round at a very similar score of 89 (again pretty good for me) but was very different. More pars and also a birdie but mixed with triples.
Basically same end score (only 1 stroke diff) but this time a more feast/famine route.

Now, regardless which route I take to shoot below 90, if I could just keep my final scores below 90 on a steady basis round - to - round I would be pretty happy. At my local courses ratings that should get me down below 16 which I have not been able to do. I.ve been close but no cigar. lol

As for this poll. I didn't know really what to expect but seems we are about evenly split between "Steady Eddies" and "Wild Willies"
The poll itself therefore is pretty "steady" lol

Last edited:
I'm consistent in that I will usually have a few more pars than bogeys but will also have a couple doubles or maybe a random quad to keep me out of the 70's. My last two rounds have been 81 and 82 with both including an 8 somewhere on the card.

I am quite steady (for the relatively high hcp I have). Most rounds are within a few shots I would say with a few ups and downs thrown in the mix

My overall scores have been fairly steady lately, but I can be all over the place within a given round. Take yesterday for example. Had a bogey on the first hole then had 5 straight pars then a birdie. So, going onto 8 I was even par and proceeded to go double, then bogey. Back nine started with a dble and ended with a dble for 42. I shot my handi with a high course rating, but what a rollercoaster ride it was.

I'm a feast or famine guy. My total scores are the same but the individual hole scores are are all over the map. Blow up today or birdie attempt tomorrow.

Feast or famine. Mostly famine. I can play 3 or 4 holes well in a row, then then the wheels just fall off. I've had a 9 and 10 in the same round I've had two birdies.

I'm a very steady player. Most rounds are going to be in the 79-85 range. Will typically have a large number of pars, and bogeys, and then a few blowup holes (double or triple). When I can get through a round without the blowup holes I'm usually sub-80.

I am a very steady player. Most of this comes from playing fairly conservative. I'm the last guy trying to go for a green that is over 210 yards away. I think it might also help me that I remain somewhat athletic, but have limited flexibility in my left shoulder from countless dislocations. Last few rounds 84, 84, 82, 82, 85, 84.

Pretty steady, unless I make a decision to go aggressive. Then anything can happen!

Feast and famine here, I'm a great for 12-15 holes. It's always a couple blow up holes that wreck my score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back