Weight Loss and Timing of Golf Swing

Maddog701

Reaction score
Handicap
14.2 ghin
I have recently lost 90 lbs since March 5. I have struggled with my timing and rhythm. I have finally gotten back to a comfortable golf swing. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same type of situation with weight loss?

I haven't lost that much weight but have dropped 20-25 over the last year and it did take awhile to adjust. Not sure if it was added flexibility or what but it felt like a different swing.

First off, congrats on the weight loss, thats an awesome amount.

It is usually a natural thing for this to occur at first. 3 years ago I lost close to 40 pounds and it took a good two to three months to get my timing back. I would recommend hitting alot of wedges at half swing, 3/4 swing and then full swing.... Then go to the short irons and do the same. You want to get the feeling of the club staying in front of you and your body working together. This is ultimately what helped me get over the hump

I'm in just the opposite boat. I've put on about 15 lbs in the last 6 months and haven't been able to play much due to a hand injury. I'm finally able to play on a regular basis again and I am back to getting too quick with my hands and hitting hooks. I will get things back together but it will take a few good range sessions.

I have recently lost 90 lbs since March 5. I have struggled with my timing and rhythm. I have finally gotten back to a comfortable golf swing. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same type of situation with weight loss?

Congrats! I lost 100lbs last year, but have put half of it back on.

The only issue was pulling irons to the left. . .I guess my elbow was too far away from my body.

Congrats on the 90 pounds! I have lost 50 pounds in the last year and haven't noticed an issue with my timing. I am playing more and walking my rounds now and that has helped lower my scores.

Wow, that is a tremendous amount of weight loss. Congratulations! As far as the timing of your swing goes, yes, it will take some adjusting with that kind of weight loss.

~Rock

Congrats! I lost 100lbs last year, but have put half of it back on.

The only issue was pulling irons to the left. . .I guess my elbow was too far away from my body.

That seems to be my issue as well, six4three5 says my hips are way out in front of my swing and i seem to be "swinging around my belt line". played tonight and am slowly seeing improvement, i guess it is a good problem to have, losing weight and having to practice more golf....lol

Congratulations on the weight loss Maddog, that is a lot to shift

That seems to be my issue as well, six4three5 says my hips are way out in front of my swing and i seem to be "swinging around my belt line". played tonight and am slowly seeing improvement, i guess it is a good problem to have, losing weight and having to practice more golf....lol

Does that work the other way as well.....?

Due to my back injury I have put weight on this year (10-15lbs) and still haven't got rid of it yet so I should really do something about it before it gets too much

Md, David Duval had the same issue when he lost all his weight. He had to learn the new speed of his arms. You'll find your tempo and will start to hit the ball farther

Congrats on the weight loss

Many a pro has had the same issue as Freddie said duval was one and I believe Peterson? As well and he put it all back to play well again.

I've dropped 20lbs and have struggled as well as i find my new tempo. You'll get there just keep working at it my man

Md, David Duval had the same issue when he lost all his weight. He had to learn the new speed of his arms. You'll find your tempo and will start to hit the ball farther

Freddie, you are right, played with Jimmy in league on Thursday and when my timing was on I hit a nice high draw with woods and irons. I even had Jimmy by a yard when we both bombed our drives on a par 5 !!!!!! just like the "old days" lol

Congrats on the weight loss

Many a pro has had the same issue as Freddie said duval was one and I believe Peterson? As well and he put it all back to play well again.

I've dropped 20lbs and have struggled as well as i find my new tempo. You'll get there just keep working at it my man

thanks but I am not putting weight back on to get old swing back, will learn new tempo....too much hard work to take it off....lol

Inspirational Mike! The swing will continue to improve, there is no doubt Jimmy better watch out!

thanks but I am not putting weight back on to get old swing back, will learn new tempo....too much hard work to take it off....lol

Haha no way would I suggest gaining it back dude, your much better off in the long run to get the swing figured out and your not playing for a living.

Back