Preference - yardage markers in the middle of fairways or on the side

JMN57

Reaction score
Handicap
In flux
I've noticed lately that when there are yardage marker posts in the middle of the fairway, I tend to drive better than when they are on the side or in the ground. Often, I move the marker because it's too close to my line or swing for the second shot. I've come to the conclusion that the target really makes a difference for me.

With the focus of the marker, I generally aim at it and if that's the distance I'm going for will be pretty close to it. If I am wanting longer, I am over it.

Without the marker, I don't think I am as focused on a target and my drives are less accurate (or possibly not "less accurate" but rather "not really aimed"). Certainly telling me that I need to be more disciplined at finding a target off the tee.

Anyone else think this way? Do you care where the markers are?

Middle. I like to have something to aim at. And you must be striking it really well to always be at the marker to the point where it is hindering your swing every time. That's some extremely good aim.

We have painted pavement stones in the middle of the fairway. I guess we used to have stakes but idiots kept stealing them. They're a 8x8 inch landing area (recessed so they're even with the ground) so haven't had an issue with a ball hitting one and taking an awkward bounce.

I like having at least a 150 stake in the fairway, gives me something to aim/plan towards

I like them in the middle of the fairway. They make for a good aim spot. A painted line on the cart path is good too, but on many courses, on zoysia grass in particular, they want you to stay in the fairway once you get there, so you don't see the cart path again until you are directed back by the cart signs.

We have painted pavement stones in the middle of the fairway. I guess we used to have stakes but idiots kept stealing them. They're a 8x8 inch landing area (recessed so they're even with the ground) so haven't had an issue with a ball hitting one and taking an awkward bounce.

Who steals a yardage stake? What in the world would you even do with it? That's just bizarre

I can see how it would help. Bob Rotella does a whole lesson on this exact type of thinking. In his opinion when you pick the smallest possible target you are more apt to hit it closer to said target. When no marker is present try picking out a branch of a tree in the distance or something similar in size.

Who steals a yardage stake? What in the world would you even do with it? That's just bizarre
Suspected to be bored kids who's parents belonged to the club and they acted like they owned the place. Never could prove it though.

The same people who drive four wheelers all over greens? Stupid people who have no regard for someone else's property.

We've been lucky that we've yet to have any of those along with our pins stolen. We have had a few tee markers go missing, however.

I like the post in the middle of the fairway. Though most of the courses I grew up playing had them outside of the FW.

I like having at least a 150 stake in the fairway, gives me something to aim/plan towards
I like this as well. Then just throw other yardages on sprinkler heads.

Middle, good for aiming. I have hit one once though.

Middle. I like to have something to aim at. And you must be striking it really well to always be at the marker to the point where it is hindering your swing every time. That's some extremely good aim.

I'd hardly say always but in the last 10 rounds probably 4-5 times. Less because of swing but more because it is pretty close to the line of my second shot and is distracting.

Middle for aiming purposes.

I like the post in the middle of the fairway. Though most of the courses I grew up playing had them outside of the FW.

Lots of courses here would put an evergreen on either side of the fairway at 150 yards. One by the cart path and one over in the other rough somewhere. I don't really notice if they do that anymore since they started marking the paths and using stakes.

I don't care. As long as there is a decent sampling of yardage markers, I'm not too concerned whether they're middle, edge, or on scattered sprinkler heads.

I don't use the markers for aimpoints as my goal is to use a spot just in front of my ball and use that as my smallest target. With GPS units i don't need to laser the marker to determine distance to it.

The aim point makes no difference for me. However, I find it easier to 'estimate' my distance to the green when the markers are in the middle, as opposed to painted somewhere on a cart path out to the side.

~Rock

I guess I don't really have much of a preference. About half of the places I play have them in the middle and the other half are just paved stones. The only ones that drive me crazy are the few courses that only have them marked on the cart paths. I've started just aiming out about 2 feet from my ball and that has helped me tremendously

Agreed, the Black/White stakes at Eagle Sticks worked great, we have 150 poles and 100 trees at home, but they're on the side, I liked having them in the middle for sure.

But I'd take either over just sprinkler heads, give me some kind of yardage stake to judge off of!

Like emart, I'm an intermediate point guy.

I don't really care. I use a range finder for most of my shots anyway.

Doesn't bother me either way I use GPS and a Laser Range Finder......so I'm good.

,Mike.

I just like a 150 stake in the middle for something to aim at and that is all. I use my GPS for yardages.

I like them in the middle along with sprinkler head markings AND a marking on the cart path. You want to speed up play golf courses? Do them all.

Back