Calling Freddy, first year golfer here...help!

AmberLamps

Reaction score
Handicap
UPDATED SWING VIDEOS ON 2ND PAGE. STILL NEED WORK

Just picked up golf this year, just want to develop a good swing form the get go and not have to work hard to fix something later, so looking for any input you got, I know practically nothing.

Last edited:
Any input from anyone is greatly appreciated, I struggle the most with consistency, some days im shooting mid 80s, other days im shooting high 90s or low 100s. On bad days I tend to "top" a lot of balls, my miss is a slice mainly, I know I tend to end up in the back seat when im playing poorly.

Freddie will be on this before you know it and have great feedback for you.

Last edited:
1st year golfer in the mid 80s without mulligans? Jealous!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

1st year golfer in the mid 80s without mulligans? Jealous!

Well I pretty much only play on my home course, which is a fairly easy city municipal course, since im just trying to work on my game before branching out and spending a lot of money to play nicer courses.

That's a pretty solid starting point for a new golfer.

On the 1st video, with the 5W off the deck, it seems like you're taking too big of a back swing.

I forget the name of the app you can download onto your phone to help analyze your swing, but it's cheap, and a great investment.
It seems like on the driver behind view, without drawing any lines to confirm, you're coming over the top.
But, I have no idea what's causing you to come over the top.

On the face on view with the driver, I have no useful critique to offer of your actual swing, but at address you look very tense (it almost looks like you're bringing your forearms in tight together when you're setting up.

Now, with all of this said, disregard everything until Freddie shows up, bc I could be wrong about everything, and totally mess you up.

On the 1st video, with the 5W off the deck, it seems like you're taking too big of a back swing.

I forget the name of the app you can download onto your phone to help analyze your swing, but it's cheap, and a great investment.
It seems like on the driver behind view, without drawing any lines to confirm, you're coming over the top.

On the face on view with the driver, I have no useful critique to offer of your actual swing, but at address you look very tense (it almost looks like you're bringing your forearms in tight together when you're setting up.

Now, with all of this said, disregard everything until Freddie shows up, bc I could be wrong about everything, and totally mess you up.

Thanks, any input is appreciated, I just want to learn, and get a solid basis to build on.

Also thanks for pointing out that my backswing is way to far back, I am watching the tournament on TV right now and noticed these guys aren't going back nearly as far as I am, any suggestions how to fix this?

Yo ugly, would love to know the app you refer to. Any chance you can force yourself to remember for the sake of a single random unknown golfer?

Yo ugly, would love to know the app you refer to. Any chance you can force yourself to remember for the sake of a single random unknown golfer?

I don't know if it's the same one Ugly is talking about but I have the V1 golf app on my phone and it works pretty good. You can film yourself, freeze and draw lines on your video to see if your raising up or maintaining your angles, it's a pretty cool app and it was free.

Yes the 'V1 Golf' app is great.
There is a free version...but I think it's the version that you pay some extra money for that I had (I think it removes ads for the $5).

Theres a V1 Pro version but I don't think regular people can use it; I think you have to prove you're a golf pro to use it.

AmberLamps, I don't know how to correct the overswing, so I think you should wait until Freddie chimes in.

365e9ed03beaf173ed3c73985ffaa14e.jpg

Good alignment and angles

25e929123b1199b5c6da216a002a672e.jpg

Good move away from the ball. Watch the closed ckub face

dfc18010d6e20d3e0f8696064b7317d0.jpg

Very flat at the top. You manage to get the ckub back into postion with some power but not recommended for long term satifaction.

a826c8a15c9fc5a84428af9c4ce44bcc.jpg

Way past the line and no need. This is actually robbing you of power.

043d80005f38f7479b96fd5b99adfba3.jpg

Almost text book except for the club face and elbow. Weight needs to over right side instead of left.

9240d008ad30dc2c509a280259c36d2b.jpg

Yiu manged to square it up at impact, delivered from inside and hit an absolute frozen pea down range. If I just saw the action I'd say it belong to someone that knew what they were doing. You have an athletic swing so that is a plus..just tighten up that right elbow, keep weight on right side and don't swing so deep. Keep the club in front of you.

Is Freddie going up town with a telestrator? If so that freaking awesome bro!

Thanks very much freddie, this is encouraging, I think maybe im just trying to hit the ball to hard and this is causing my long back swing and thus resulting in all the movement. Going to work on a slightly shorter back swing and hopefully this fixes some of the issues.

How do you suggest I go about getting my right leg to "drive through". I dont really understand where my weight should be on each part of the swing. I assume it starts with even weight then shift to say maybe 60% on my back (right leg) during backswing then shift to 60% on my front (left) leg on the downswing? I intend to take a lesson or 2 with a PGA coach, but this is an immense help in the time being.

Been working a lot on my swing since Freddie broke it all down. I have seen improvement mainly in my driver. Im hitting way more fairways than before. Basically just been working on shorted back swing, opening club face, and a little less movement in my legs. Im gonna keep working on it and once it becomes consistent, maybe ill update a video to see if I have ironed out some of the kinks.

Thanks again for all the help.

Been working a lot on my swing since Freddie broke it all down. I have seen improvement mainly in my driver. Im hitting way more fairways than before. Basically just been working on shorted back swing, opening club face, and a little less movement in my legs. Im gonna keep working on it and once it becomes consistent, maybe ill update a video to see if I have ironed out some of the kinks.

Thanks again for all the help.
What are you doing to open the club face more? I am curious as i want to be able to control my club face better as well.

Ive just been setting up with a more open face...havent video recorded since, so not sure if its actually more open on the backswing.

Well its been a while, I've been playing decently, got my HDC down to a 13.6 so far this year from 20-25 last year. However I feel like my swing is sloppy but I somehow manage to get decent-ish results with the Driver. Averaging 260 with the driver according to Arccos, and I have pretty much eliminated my nasty slice, currently playing a cut/fade. However my problem is always "falling out of my swing". I cannot seem to get my weight firing onto my front foot , and I feel this is costing me a lot of distance. Here is a little video my friend took on the range before our round today. If anyone has any input, would be greatly appreciated.

Here is another swing from behind. I feel like my problem is in the take-away. Its still to flat and im rotating to much. What do you guys think. Also I think i need to slow it down.

Last edited:
I spent the first 3 years I was golfing with the same issue - I couldn't shift my weight. You can see in the face on vid that your weight is shifting back but then you turn your hips and you hang back. To my untrained eyes it looks like you get to the top and immediately start rotating.

What my pro did was have me go to the top of the backswing, pause, then exaggerate my weight going to my front heel before I thought about doing anything with my arms/shoulders. He even had me doing the Gary Player drill where I walked through my shot. After a while of practicing that, I finally got it to work. And while it feels like a long pause to me, people playing with me say it doesn't look like I pause at all, just looks like good tempo.

Swing looks awesome for a first timer. Quite jealous.

Keep that backswing in check and you'll be cracking the 70s in no time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back