Replace a club with the same club?

katman

Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Quandary: I have the X2Hot 5 Deep, which is one of my favorite clubs. It's reliable as can be off the tee on short par 4s and I am capable of hitting it quite well off the fairway and when sitting on top of the rough. However, I have used the crap out of it. It's still structurally sound as far as I can tell, but the face is quite worn and the sole has lost a lot of its black paint in the front where it meets the grass and driving range mats.

Callaway Pre Owned has the 5 Deep on sale for $92 in my configuration in Like New condition (which, in my experience, is essentially new). Interestingly, they'll take my current 5 Deep in trade for $50, making an almost new club around $42. Seeing as I plan to game this club until it turns to dust, is this something you would contemplate doing? I think refurbing a club would take more than ~$40.

Quandary: I have the X2Hot 5 Deep, which is one of my favorite clubs. It's reliable as can be off the tee on short par 4s and I am capable of hitting it quite well off the fairway and when sitting on top of the rough. However, I have used the crap out of it. It's still structurally sound as far as I can tell, but the face is quite worn and the sole has lost a lot of its black paint in the front where it meets the grass and driving range mats.

Callaway Pre Owned has the 5 Deep on sale for $92 in my configuration in Like New condition (which, in my experience, is essentially new). Interestingly, they'll take my current 5 Deep in trade for $50, making an almost new club around $42. Seeing as I plan to game this club until it turns to dust, is this something you would contemplate doing? I think refurbing a club would take more than ~$40.
Personally if they would take the 5deep trade in and knocked the price down to $40 I would jump all over it.

sounds like a solid plan to me. get same club for $42 in newer condition nothing wrong with that.

Sounds like a deal to me!

Just remember though, that the same thing is not the same club. You can ask Tom Watson about that, when his putter was stolen back in his heyday, he replaced it with the same thing but it was never quite the same. No one thought about it when it happened, but that was about the time he stopped winning.

You know I love a deal, and this sounds like a deal to me. Go for it!

Back