Does the orange whip count as a club?

ForeOnFour

Leave no birdie behind
Reaction score
Handicap
Tomorrow morning I'm going to a tournament with a neighboring club, home and home 18 there then 18 here next weekend. We usually do it on the same weekend but there is a scheduling conflict.

The course we are going to tomorrow has no driving range and I would really like to warm up with the orange whip. I carry 14 clubs and am wondering if the whip counts as a club or will I have to warm up with it and then go put it back in the truck?

Thanks.

Warm up and put it in the truck. There will be no question, in that instance.

No, it does not count as a club.

However, it is a training aid, so make sure you do not swing it during the round.

How about if I pull my hybrid out of my bag and leave that in the car? That leaves me with 13 clubs + the orange whip.

How about if I pull my hybrid out of my bag and leave that in the car? That leaves me with 13 clubs + the orange whip.

The Orange Whip is a training aid, not a club. You can have as many training aids in your bag as you want and still have 14 clubs. What you can't do is use a training aid during a stipulated round.

Warm up and put it in the truck. There will be no question, in that instance.
Was in a NYSGA tournament and another player noticed it in my bag and told to do the same just to be safe.

Sent from my D5316 using Tapatalk

It is not a club, can be in your bag, but not touched on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say no. I look at it like I do an alignment stick and I always have one or two of those in my bag

It isn't a club, but I'd leave it in the car so there isn't any trouble during the round.

The Orange Whip is a training aid, not a club. You can have as many training aids in your bag as you want and still have 14 clubs. What you can't do is use a training aid during a stipulated round.

Ditto - this is spot on

This linked article contains this quetion and statement from Jim Hackenberg

Is it legal to carry the Orange Whip during a round?
Yes, the Orange Whip is legal to carry in your golf bag because the USGA has stated it does not qualify as a golf club, so you would not affect the 14 club rule. I must warn you that a golfer is not allowed to swing the Orange Whip during a competition or tournament as that would be a penalty.

http://rickyleepotts.com/2013/04/jim-hackenberg-interview.html

I ended up keeping it in the bag after checking with the two some we were competing against. A few people had never seen one and wanted to try it out. I don't golf there often, it's usually a crowded course and the lay out is such that getting hit by an errant shot is high, but I wish they had a driving range. I usually spend the first 2-3 holes figuring out what my swing is going to do that day:banghead:

Thank you to everyone who replied!

Back