Set Gap Wedge vs Traditional Wedge

I am pretty committed to a set GW right now. having made the switch recently, I'm impressed at how little I have to do to get the ball to the distance it needs to go, on line with the cup.

I'm certain it's a small flaw in my swing that makes me crave the forgiveness, but why fight it? Playing the W/S GW makes the game easier.

Couldn't agree more. Was a traditional GW guy for years and now low my xhp GW.

Pride swallowed and scores lowered.

I'll not go back to a non set AW/GW unless that set doesn't offer one, even then, I'll use another sets AW/GW. Give me the forgiveness all day.

I won't ever go away from the set gap wedge, it is a full shot club for me so I will take all the forgiveness I can get. Also around the greens I will bump and run with it but I use my 54° for everything else.

Bumping this thread cause I recently picked up a set of irons (Srixon Z-Star) with no GW, and wondering what my best course of action would be as a devoted set GW user. I will probably just stick my CB3 GW in there for the interim, but what would you guys do?

Bumping this thread cause I recently picked up a set of irons (Srixon Z-Star) with no GW, and wondering what my best course of action would be as a devoted set GW user. I will probably just stick my CB3 GW in there for the interim, but what would you guys do?
Had this same issue with the J15 DFs. I've seen many different ideas out there for solutions to this issue (besides asking begging companies to make set gap wedges like they should, cuz they're flipping awesome!). What I did was just keep gaming my set AW from my old set, since getting a DF was impossible. If it was possible, that's what I'd do. However, I knew my distance and gapping eventually so it lead to as many answered questions as possible.

What would I do? Personally would try and find a Z-Star set GW and if needed reshaft it. If that is not an option I would do the same thing you are doing, use my old GW. I tried using a traditional GW for awhile and since i 3/4-full swing my GW most of the times I use it, the added forgiveness of the set GW has helped tremendously.

What would I do? Personally would try and find a Z-Star set GW and if needed reshaft it. If that is not an option I would do the same thing you are doing, use my old GW. I tried using a traditional GW for awhile and since i 3/4-full swing my GW most of the times I use it, the added forgiveness of the set GW has helped tremendously.

Yeah, this is one of those sets where they don't make a GW, sadly. Only thing so far I don't like about this set!

I'll game the CB3 and see how it goes. The other thing I was contemplating doing was trying to find something that's not quite a set GW but not quite a traditional wedge either, with a little extra forgiveness - like an RTX CB, JPX, etc.

The more and more I play this 50* SM5, the more I'm loving the traditional wedge in that spot. I've said before I prefer a set GW, but I might be changing my mind

The more and more I play this 50* SM5, the more I'm loving the traditional wedge in that spot. I've said before I prefer a set GW, but I might be changing my mind

Do you use it for full swings much?

Yeah, this is one of those sets where they don't make a GW, sadly. Only thing so far I don't like about this set!

I'll game the CB3 and see how it goes. The other thing I was contemplating doing was trying to find something that's not quite a set GW but not quite a traditional wedge either, with a little extra forgiveness - like an RTX CB, JPX, etc.

Definitely try this one, I think it could work out well for you. While it's a bummer they don't have a set GW, at least there's lots of options for you. I need to tee it up with you so I can see those sticks.

I have used a 50* atv wedge for the 2 years and wont go back to a set wedge. I dont discount them I just a lot of success with my current set up and when the grooves wearout I will probably buy another similar wedge.

Yep. All the time. It's a solid 115 for me which is what I need it for.

I have used a 50* atv wedge for the 2 years and wont go back to a set wedge. I dont discount them I just a lot of success with my current set up and when the grooves wearout I will probably buy another similar wedge.

Sounds like maybe I ought to take a look at the traditional wedge option, or at least experiment with it. Could probably pick up a matching Cally Forged 50* for pretty damn cheap right now.

Definitely try this one, I think it could work out well for you. While it's a bummer they don't have a set GW, at least there's lots of options for you. I need to tee it up with you so I can see those sticks.

Yeah, I've always been intrigued by those CB's, maybe I can find a few floating around the bay or elsewhere.

And yes we totally need to tee it up! Z Stars are sexy!

Sounds like maybe I ought to take a look at the traditional wedge option, or at least experiment with it. Could probably pick up a matching Cally Forged 50* for pretty damn cheap right now.

I would say that is a pretty good match to those Z Stars you got. I like that idea!

I've recently switched back to a set GW and I wish I never dropped it. I liked the extra spin I was getting with my RTX, but a rough round recently prompted me to go back for a little more forgiveness. So far I'm glad I switched back. If the GW you have works, I'd stick with it. If you wanted to try a traditional 50° RTX though, I've got one I can send ya.

I had the same problem with my S55's. I picked up a Mizzy mpt 5 other than thinking I'm missing a club when I look in my bag it performs similar to my old S3 pro gw and use it for full and partial shots. I would just pick up a matching Cally wedge if I were you or just get a new set of wedges.

Until I started playing the RTX 2.0 CB 50° (bent a degree strong), I was a big set GW guy. No longer!

When I bought my RSi2 irons I had the same dilemma whether to get 50* AW, I decided to do so and best decision I have made as club is so sweet as my 100-105 every time. I then got new RTX 2.0 wedges to fill my gaps at 54/58 and my stats inside 125 yards have gone through the roof to approx 63% greens hit from 75-125 range, delighted with my set up now :)

I use my set gap wedge (AW)and love it! :in-love:

It's funny. I used to have strong feelings on this - I was a BIG set wedge guy. I've got two sets I play regularly - i25s and my 545s. The 545s I play with a 48 degree RTX CB wedge. I'm as happy playing that as I am the AW in my i25s. It's nice that wedge companies are making clubs that flow better into the more GI sets. Mizuno has the JPX wedge as well, which works in that spot. I'd feel a whole lot less comfortable playing a pure bladed wedge.

Matt

I've recently switched back to a set GW and I wish I never dropped it. I liked the extra spin I was getting with my RTX, but a rough round recently prompted me to go back for a little more forgiveness. So far I'm glad I switched back. If the GW you have works, I'd stick with it. If you wanted to try a traditional 50° RTX though, I've got one I can send ya.

Somehow I missed this. Really appreciate the offer Danny! I already picked up a JPX 50* wedge though that I'm going to try in that slot. It's got some forgiveness in it compared to a bladed wedge, and a Dynalite shaft which is a little lighter like my iron shafts vs the DG that's usually in wedges, so hoping it will fit in nicely as a full swing club.

I just ditched my set GW for a traditional wedge. I found that between choking down on my PW and taking a full swing with my 52* I had its distances covered pretty well. For some reason I was having a hard time hitting the D200 GW well off tight TX fairways--it was more likely that I'd hit it thin and it would go PW distance, I think due to the big chunky sole on the D200. I'm more comfortable with a traditional wedge in my hand for those kind of shots.

I love the look of the vokeys over a set GW, not to mention the bounce is too high on the set wedges. I'll match my gap wedge shaft to my full set for playability/consistency

I love my set GW - and I hit both full shots with it, and most bump and runs for me around the greens.

Currently playing the set gap wedge from my set but it has created a gap issue that caused me to just order a 54* sand wedge instead of the 56* loft I've been playing for 35 years.

My 60* normal carry is 90-92 yards, 56* is 106 yds, and my XR Pro gap wedge is 128 yds. I'm thinking a 54* will go about 110-112 which is a fairly common approach distance for me and normally I'm hitting my 60* out of greenside bunkers. If that doesn't work I will weaken the loft on my XR pro gap wedge.

Back