Trying to Break 80 Club

Shot a couple of 85/84 rounds after being in the high 80s, looking at everyone shooting their PBs I ought to pick my game up!

Aside from a few dumb shots leading to 3 doubles, I was right there today. 42/43 85

Had a bad scoring day. Couldn't make a putt. Ended up shooting a 90

I am pretty sure I broke 80 today. There were a couple of gimme putts, but a round in the mid 70's did happen without those gimmes. I am afraid to actually post the front nine, but a 34 on the back was legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 today whilst hitting the ball as poorly as I'm able.
Short game was great and its amazing how much it can mask.

Trying to Break 80 Club

New PB today again, 77!!! Hit 1 fairway the whole time, but out drove a couple fairways which lead to easy approaches and hit 7 greens today. 30 putts, with a 20 footer for par on 18. Golf is fun.

New PB today again, 77!!! Hit 1 fairway the whole time, but out drove a couple fairways which lead to easy approaches and hit 7 greens today. 30 putts, with a 20 footer for par on 18. Golf is fun.

My man!!! Gauntlet better watch out!! Nice job bro!

Sweet. Game is shaping up nicely.

So you had to pile on the PB train. I guess I need to extra focus now.

81 today. Nothing was really that good today other then avoiding the blow up holes. The slope rating was 133 so hopefully I can get it done on a bit easier course soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I've been reading this thread for a while. In February, my index was 18.5 and <90 was the benchmark for a good round. I took some lessons this Spring and put a lot of effort into practicing. My index is down to 9.4 and I shot 80 today (37/43, 10 GIRs, & 11/14 fairways, 33 putts, 1 penalty stroke). The course rating for the 6,550 tees is 72.1/142. I've been able to break 40 on the front 9 a few times this summer but things get a little tight between the ears on the back 9. My previous best of 82 happened two weeks ago. Goals for this year are breaking 80 and a single digit index. Almost there! This thread contains lots of good tips. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge. I'm looking forward to breaking 80 this month. Need to tidy up my putting a bit. 3 x 3 putts today.

Random note. Met Cole Aldridge of the Clipper's today. He's 6'11" and can swing a club. Nice guy too.

Last edited:
Shot 83 today on a par 71 with two doubles and a triple. Played the front in 4 over with a double on 9. Doubled and easy par 4 and a par 3

I was really close today with a 39/43 = 82. That included a double and a triple, so there was some room to shave strokes pretty easily in there. I feel it coming!

Shot a 86 today. A 6 hour long round in 90 plus degree temps is not a good day to try to play well. I won't be playing that course on the weekends again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

83 today. Guess I can't set a new PB every weekend. :alien:

Still, my 18's from the past 3 weekends has gone 79, 77, 83, and my index has dropped over an entire stroke. Pretty good run for me lately, and the 83 today was actually a PB on that specific course.

Shot 80 today when I felt I had nothing really working. Last year I would have been thrilled at 80. Now if it doesn't start with a 7 then I'm not happy lol.

82 (40/42) today. My best score on this course. 6,294 yards and 134 slope. 10 pars, 6 bogies, and 2 double bogies. 7/14 fairways, 6/18 GIR, 2 x 3 putt. Both doubles came after great tee shots. Disappointing to let those holes get away from. On the plus side, I scrambled really well on a couple of holes. Focus on the positive!

Hi everyone
Don't post so much but I managed to break 80 for the first time today (78):)

I should say that my course is currently playing par 68 rather than 70 during some repair work so "only" 10 over, but still my best ever competition round.

My course is a 9 hole that we play twice. I managed to get a triple and a double on the same hole (a short par 4) so 5 over for the rest is pretty good for me!

80 Again. Cannot seem to break through for a 2nd time this year.
The painful part? Front was an awful 46. No quads or blowups, just bogeys and doubles due to poor play.
The back? Thirty-flippin-four. 4 birdies, and I would have shot 32 for 78 had I not blown a ball off the planet OB on the last par 5. Which I got 6 on after being 3 off the tee.
I don't think I've ever been 34 for a nine. Wild Willie, that's me.

Tied my PB of 79 (42-37) today, breaking 80 for only the 2nd time. Drove the ball well & hit 9 greens. Barely missed a couple, but put myself in a good spot to get up & down from. A lot easier to make par when you're giving yourself looks inside 3 feet and not 10 feet.

I was really close today with a 39/43 = 82. That included a double and a triple, so there was some room to shave strokes pretty easily in there. I feel it coming!
Always just a few blow up holes that gets me too. So frustrating, yet at the same time a little relieving because you know you have the game to be there since the rest of the round was solid. Get this, last Saturday I had a 4 hole stretch that if I turned them all into bogies it would have cut 10 strokes off my score :bulgy-eyes:

83 today. Guess I can't set a new PB every weekend. :alien:

Still, my 18's from the past 3 weekends has gone 79, 77, 83, and my index has dropped over an entire stroke. Pretty good run for me lately, and the 83 today was actually a PB on that specific course.
Don't waste all the good scores

78 last round at a par 71 course. I hope to break 80 again tomorrow at my new prospective home course. I probably won't play the tips(74.3/144 @7234 yds) lol

Always just a few blow up holes that gets me too. So frustrating, yet at the same time a little relieving because you know you have the game to be there since the rest of the round was solid. Get this, last Saturday I had a 4 hole stretch that if I turned them all into bogies it would have cut 10 strokes off my score :bulgy-eyes:

Haha I feel your pain brother! Game drives ya nuts sometimes :act-up:

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

golfed a 37, and 41 at my local nine. I know it doesn't count, so still only beat 80 once, but it still felt good. And I know I'm still on the right track.

Back