Trying to Break 80 Club

83 yesterday (par 70) with a 7 on a par 4 and a 6 on a par 3.
Bladed every wedge from inside 40 yds. Lost three balls.
It's coming... again, I hope sooner rather than later. I only have one round in the 70's on my hcp currently.

Sub 80 again. First time in awhile. 37/41 (78 on par 71). Had 3 doubles that should have been bogey at worse

Sub 80 again. First time in awhile. 37/41 (78 on par 71). Had 3 doubles that should have been bogey at worse
Nice round...impressive!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

41 / 46 87 today. New PB.

80 (38/42). I avoiding looking at my score throughout the round and focused on each shoot. Hot, humid and windy day on a tournament level course. #18 is a par 5 around a lake (reverse C shape) and into a 15-20 mph wind. Triple bogey 8 for 80. UGH!!!!!!! :angry:

One whole summer was everyone in this threads nightmare. I had a 9.7HCP and shot 78 ONE time. I played over 100 rounds that summer and had countless 80's, 81's with the occasional 82. It was like the golf gods were laughing in my face. This summer I haven't played near as much and shot an 83 last week with SIX three putts. Argh!!!!! I need work on my game....

I've frequented this thread as the 70s is my next threshold to stay at consistently... trying to break 80 has took on a different meaning. Playing my home course is a real struggle

Been a little while, today I shot a 40, 37 for a +5 77. One triple bogeye & 5 birdies. But for me, the best was saving par on a par 5 w/my drive going into a water hazard.

I'm just peeking in here. It's been far too long since I threatened 80, unfortunately. Must be able to post in here, again, this season.

80 (38/42). I avoiding looking at my score throughout the round and focused on each shoot. Hot, humid and windy day on a tournament level course. #18 is a par 5 around a lake (reverse C shape) and into a 15-20 mph wind. Triple bogey 8 for 80. UGH!!!!!!! :angry:

Feel ya the triple bogey. Last week was sitting at 75 after 17 holes. Come up to 18 which is a simple 350 yd par 4 and pushed a drive behind the tree. Made a nice punch out to the FW. Put my ball in the green side trap then played ping pong across the traps a few times. Quadruple bogey for an 83. I haven't shot in the 70's yet on course over 6100 yds and this was my opportunity.

Did mange to tie my PB with a 78 on Friday though. Shorter track though 5900.

I'm just peeking in here. It's been far too long since I threatened 80, unfortunately. Must be able to post in here, again, this season.
With you. Posted an 82 a few weeks back and that's the closest I've been this year. I'm definitely better than last year though, I know I can do it!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Shot 80 today. Finished double and bogey. So close. It was still my lowest score to date.

They say when you break a record you shatter it. well today was that day!! Shot a 75 on a par 72!!! a Freaking 75! Talked about happy. I felt like I quit playing the golf swing today and just tried to focus on putting the ball in the hole. Now I just need to figure out how to back up this performance. Still the best round to date. I feel like I can just go play golf the rest of the year. I bet a co worker I could break 80 before him, the season is wrapping up and I was feeling the pressure. Glad that bet is over.

I had a near miss with 42/42-84 where I very stupidly went +7 on holes 8-10.

Last edited:
I broke 80s yesterday BUT the wrong way. A horrendous round 91. Ahhhh %'&(%#

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I was so close to hitting in the 70's. Was on pace for 79 with 2 holes to play. Had to play them EVEN and went Bogey- Double Bog. Best score of the year 82!!!

I was so close to hitting in the 70's. Was on pace for 79 with 2 holes to play. Had to play them EVEN and went Bogey- Double Bog. Best score of the year 82!!!

Always nice feeling to get the best score of the year!

Always nice feeling to get the best score of the year!

All the work at the range and the gym is starting to pay off greatly!

I broke 80 last yr for the first time (almost exactly a yr ago), but on a par 68 course. I was still stoked though.

My goal was to break 80 at a real course before the end of my 2nd yr golfing, and I did it today (par 72, and 121 slope).

Shot a 39/40=79 today. No doubles. 1 penalty stroke.

I shot an 80 a few weeks ago.

My scores have come down, and my game improved since I started working on Slicefixer's approach to the 9-3 drill. Driver aside, I hit almost exclusively 9-3 shots. Ball goes way straighter and don't lose any distance (don't know how).

Could not back up my 70's score. Went out and shot a 81 today. I do feel as if I was swinging much better off the tee today. Just was lacking in the putting department and had 2 blow up holes of triples.

Yeah, shot a season-best 78 today (40/38) / par 71. 2 doubles, 5 bogeys, 11 pars, 2 birds. 2 THP pieces of advice were helpful today: tadashi feedback on swing alignment was key. I also took to heart advice that someone here (JB?) gave about how most amateurs come up short with approach shots - drop the ego. I did fly 2 greens, but overall I ended up with some nice birdie looks.

Last edited:
Struggled today on the back 9. I had 79 in my head starting on 10th tee box and maintained a rather clear head until I got to 14th tee box. Sliced it off the box into the pond and didn't recover from the double. Definitely frustrating but I had some light in what has been some horribly dark rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got close with a 41/40 at my summer league finale.
Still happy to be in single digits over par!

Shot 69! on a par 62..... Played well and had two holes I shot my wad on

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

Back