How do you afford golf?

I'm spending my kids inheritance. Don't tell them though...

10 year old cars and kids with crooked teeth and holes in their shoes

I have experienced all aspects of paying for golf as follows:

While I worked alot and had a good income:
1) Member at a very nice club...included range balls and great practice area
2) Member at a Robert Trent Jones Sr club...not well taken care of so relatively affordable but a great layout and unlimited range balls!!!

Now I am seriously considering retiring and working some to help make ends meet (maybe at a golf store) and so I see myself affording golf as follows:
1) Playing local muni golf courses (around $30 a round on the average)
2) Getting a range membership as they always save you money
3) Stop being a club HO...lol

PS One of the muni's I play "Babe Zaharias" is the longest 6,000 (the tips) yards you will ever play...very challeneging layout and actually Woody Austin grooved his game to make it to the tour on this very course while working part time for a local credit union. They also play the City Senior Championship there every year.

Played at Babe Zaharias once while I live in Tampa, decent track and a great price. I was still really learning how to play when I went there so I didnt play well at all but I liked the layout.

Played at Babe Zaharias once while I live in Tampa, decent track and a great price. I was still really learning how to play when I went there so I didnt play well at all but I liked the layout.

Wow! Small world...LOL Cool and I went to play there a couple of weeks ago and they are re-doing all the greens....nice :fingers-crossed:

Only thing bad about the "Babe" is there is no driving range but the first hole is a 300 yard par 4 that I cannot tell you how many times I have double bogied that hole :banghead:

And I always tell people when I take them there for the first time do not look at the score card and "lick your chops"...at 6,000 yards because of the layout it is a lot tougher than the scroecard & rating would suggest. Now mind you there are some getable holes but there are also some Par 4's that are PGA Tour level and one of the PAR 3's plays really tough. And as it winds through this old neighborhood you better be able to control your ball as there is OB everywhere. However, not to brag I shot one of my lowest rounds there back when I use to play...74 (par 70).

Simple for me - Ponzi schemes haha!

It's a matter of priorities for me. Golf is basically the only thing I really do for me. I don't sit in bars, drink ( well, very very little ) or go out to high $$ dining very often. I generally buys clubs when I need them, not want them, and always try to find a deal first. My wife and I make pretty good money, but with a kid in College and another almost to that point, I can't just go out & spend like a madman. And I have never wanted to be a "member" at a course, because I really dislike playing the same course too often ( and the courses in my immediate area aren't ones I'd want to join tbh ) - but I can certainly see how for those that don't mind that how it works out for them.

I work my butt off....

Seriously, I work hard in sales and am one of the top producers at my company in a booming industry. Also it helps that I grew up in a middle-class household in a very "old money" super wealthy town...which has made me a hard worker.

I have had some sort of job since I was 13 years old - first helping my Dad on job sites and then becoming a caddy....while the majority of my friends were partying every day of the summer I worked at least 6 days a week which allowed me to hang with them at night. So while I was driving around a 10-12 year old hand-me-down car they were cruising around in BMWs etc. always made me want to succeed - they had a trust fund, I didn't....

Fast forward 17 years later and I am able to go out to dinner wherever I want and golf at least once a week while going to the driving range as well. I guess it also "helps" that golf is only accessible to me really 7 months at most out of the year....

My GF realizes golf is my number one hobby so she doesn't give me too much flak - but that will change once the wedding planning and kids come into the picture.

For many years I put $30 every two weeks out of my paycheck into a credit union savings account. That added up to $780 a year, and it covered my annual membership at the military golf course on the army post where I worked (until the last few years at least, when the annual dues went to $800). I almost always walked when I played, and the course was quite good. That way my home budget never took that annual hit.

The last time I bought a set of irons, I had a friend who had a paper route who had to go away for nearly a month. I threw his route for a month, and made enough to buy a set of Callaway irons AND to pay off the balance on a leather recliner my wife had purchased.

My wife and I both have picked something that we want as our hobby each. Mines golf. Rule basically is that I can have membership, few clubs etc a year. It also give her ideas for birthdays, christmas etc so she's happy.

It's definitely costly though. I set money aside each week for my yearly club membership which is $700 a year, and comp fees are $8 per week.

How do you afford golf?

Before I joined a club I looked for twilight deals. From June until August you can count on daylight until at least 20:30 and in July that goes past 21:00 easily. Most courses here offer deep discounts for starting after 17:00.

But in the end, joining a club made more sense when you add up not just the golf but the other amenities as well. We are breaking even when you add in things like the pool for the summer (we don't have an outdoor pool option) and dining (costs are similar to going out) and it will be cheaper when my kids start playing more.

Last edited:
A local semi-private has a decent driving range and short game area. I joined their lowest plan for $50/mo which gives me unlimited range balls and $18 rounds after 2pm. Considering a medium bucket is $11, it works out well for me, as I would have already spent twice that this month and still have nearly 2 weeks remaining in the month.

Give 'em hell!

Use teeoff. Com a lot

For equipment, I look for clubs about a generation prior to the most recent line to save a couple bucks, along with 2ndswing and trade-ins. I always keep an eye on Golfnow for tee time deals, as well.

Back